Will Grills benefits be improved based on the recent enhancements to Britannia and Britannia Club?

Se1lad

8 hours ago, majortom10 said:

If they don't I can see many, us included, dropping down from PG to BC and saving money.

I discover Britannia Club some time  ago , ie,  for me as a solo there is life outside the Grills.

I've mentioned this before on this board, 'Britannia Club is a halfway house' to PG .

As a solo I've had enough of paying Cunard  200% AND only  one miserable  lot of OBC .

Just returned from Silversea ( Silver Moon) and paid 125% solo occupancy,  with Butler service, Champagne & Caviar on Tap !  😉

3 hours ago, Jailhousepete said:

Probably seems a stupid question to many out there. We have only ever cruised Cunard so never experienced Open Dining in Brittania except once or twice in PG. so is this like lunchtime when you take your chance on whatever table you get and whom you might be joining.  Or do you still have your own table for the duration with your own waiters but dine at any time.

Yes it's exactly like the Breakfast & Lunch dining experience, you turn up as and when you want and take the chance of being given a Bleeper and told to come back in 30 mins, unless there is a table to accommodate you. You are not directed to your own dedicated table , that sort of 'open dining' ( with dedicated table and wait staff)  is reserved for those in  Grills or Britannia Club.

A Bleeper is not my idea of a premium cruise line , If I want a bleeper and have to return back to the Bar or find a seating area I'd have chosen to sail P&O/MSC etc.    

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Se1lad said:

Cunard have already confirmed there will be changes to club - I received this yesterday:

Britannia Club updates.

Enjoy more choice than ever before with our elevated Britannia Club experience. Look forward to an enhanced menu and special, theatrical table side service celebrating some of our feature dishes, all of which you can enjoy from your own private, reserved table. The luxury continues in your stateroom with brand new complimentary mineral water, your own espresso coffee machine, sumptuous bathrobes, and other amenities.

Wow if those add ons are considered upgrades you folks must be living a bleak life on shore.

But while we are discussing all the attributes of fine dining in BC and the grills. Do they still have the roll girl and the butter boy. Is there a butter knife at each roll plate. How about finger bowls after the main course before they serve dessert. And do they reset the flatware with proper fish sets. How about different soup spoons depending on whether one orders a clear soup or a cream soup. And the larger spoons for dessert. And as to the staterooms do they still have the hall boy that was in the hall all night to handle any calls from anterooms and who also polished the gentleman's shoes.

7 hours ago, Lakesregion said:

Wow if those add ons are considered upgrades you folks must be living a bleak life on shore.

But while we are discussing all the attributes of fine dining in BC and the grills. Do they still have the roll girl and the butter boy. Is there a butter knife at each roll plate. How about finger bowls after the main course before they serve dessert. And do they reset the flatware with proper fish sets. How about different soup spoons depending on whether one orders a clear soup or a cream soup. And the larger spoons for dessert. And as to the staterooms do they still have the hall boy that was in the hall all night to handle any calls from anterooms and who also polished the gentleman's shoes.

The extras do sound like a genuine upgrade to the BC, however I don’t think I live a bleak life at home without them.  For example I don’t normally have flambé dishes served at my table - it would play havoc with the paintwork on the ceiling!

I wasn’t aware that the serving of rolls and butter was gender specific, however on my previous trips in BC and grills rolls and butter were replenished as requested by the waiting staff serving my table.

I have received a finger bowl in BC and grills when the main course required it - for example after Peking Duck.

In BC and grills there were different spoons for different soups and the appropriate cutlery was provided with any fish course.  Pretty much every restaurant I’ve been to provides dessert spoons so I don’t understand what your comment here refers to.

Edited by Se1lad

1 hour ago, BigMac1953 said:

There used to be a bread/roll/patisserie girl in the QG Restaurant on the QE2. She came round every morning with her basket. Very tempting.

I think there is still someone who comes round with the patisserie tray. Do you remember the smoked salmon trolley on QE2?

22 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

I think there is still someone who comes round with the patisserie tray. Do you remember the smoked salmon trolley on QE2?

Patisserie tray is still going strong - it’s done by the team of wait staff who serve your specific section in QG.

4 hours ago, BigMac1953 said:

Yes, we still get offered rolls and Danish, but doesn't quite match the old QE2 days.

It was the same girl that brought round the smoked salmon cart in the evening and carved it beautifully at your table.

Not always a female. I remember males doing both these things. I loved it when they took the covering off and the great salmon appeared, and, as you say, they carved it beautifully, as much as you fancied.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, exlondoner said:

Not always a female. I remember males doing both these things. I loved it when they took the covering off and the great salmon appeared, and, as you say, they carved it beautifully, as much as you fancied.

A hotel we used to stay at had a smoked salmon cart in the evenings and subsequently having tried to slice the stuff at home, it hammers home how competent  wait staff are as takes a good deal of skill [and very sharp implements] to evenly slice it time after time.

I don't have that skill  but luckily, M&S  does! 👍

• Like 1