What are legitimate reasons for using the Travel Insurance

Traveller20074

I have looked on NCL's website, and of course, can't figure out how to cancel someone on our reservation. I wish they would revamp their website. I can't ever find anything.  I will call today probably but till then....one of our people on the cruise can't go.  Does he have to be sick?  or can they just decide not to go?   I searched HERE on the boards, and still couldn't find an answer.  also looked on my reservation.

You did not give enough information for opinions to be given.  Allow me to gain clarification:

Have you already reach the time for full payment and has it been paid?

Is the person in question the first or second person on the reservation?

Be specific why the parson wants to cancel?

When is your cruise leaving?

Your headline asks for clarification on Travel Insurance.  Yet your detail in your post does not discuss or ask about travel insurance.  Please clarify your association.  If your question on Travel Insurance was the "Cancel for any reason" clause.  That is not on all insurances and when you do have it, there are rules/policies/restrictions.  Remember, you don't have to get trip interruption or cancellation when buying travel insurance.  They are often options that cost more. 

Cruise well and enjoy every moment.

Most insurance that offers cancellation coverage requires a documented reason for cancellation, only cancellation for any reason insurance, which is more expensive and does give back 100%. No matter what it involves a phone call, you can’t cancel online.

1 hour ago, Traveller20074 said:

I have looked on NCL's website, and of course, can't figure out how to cancel someone on our reservation. I wish they would revamp their website. I can't ever find anything.  I will call today probably but till then....one of our people on the cruise can't go.  Does he have to be sick?  or can they just decide not to go?   I searched HERE on the boards, and still couldn't find an answer.  also looked on my reservation.

Here's a link to the insurance information I received with my recent reservation. Maybe this will help?  https://www.ncl.com/freestyle-cruise/booksafe

Edited by KansasTexan

1 hour ago, Traveller20074 said:

I will call today probably but till then....one of our people on the cruise can't go.  Does he have to be sick?  or can they just decide not to go?   I searched HERE on the boards, and still couldn't find an answer.  also looked on my reservation.

Depends on what insurance you purchased. If you purchased the standard insurance through NCL, then when "they just decide not to go", they will get 75% of the fare as a Future Cruise Credit.

2 hours ago, Traveller20074 said:

First, here is a link to the travel insurance sub-forum of CC:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/499-cruisetravel-insurance/

I'm not sure what you mean by "legitimate reasons for using travel insurance".

Is that as opposed to reasons that are not allowed??

Or do you mean what losses would a travel insurance policy cover if a claim were to be filed?

In the latter case, it would depend to a very great extent upon precisely which policy you purchased.  The terms of each type of policy can be very different; the only thing that really matters is that all of the terms must comply with the state's insurance regulations.  (In the USA, each state regulates insurance, and it depends upon the traveler's state of residency.)

You should probably speak directly with a travel insurance agent or broker so you can get a better sense of what types of coverages are allowed (or not).

The critical thing is to make SURE that you read the terms of YOUR policy, and abide by them.

As for the NCL website, I suspect that one *must* call to cancel or change a passenger.  This makes sense because they may need to explain to you any penalties that would follow...

GC

• Like 1

I don't think "they decided not to go" is going to cut it for cancelling and expecting reimbursement back from the insurance.  
We had a cruise scheduled for last December and had to cancel 5 days before embarkation due to my dad *not cruising* sudden illness and going into hospice.   It took me 5 months of going in circles with the insurance company and did finally get reimbursed but it was like pulling teeth.
So, considering the difficulties we had with that, I am not sure just deciding not to go will be accepted.

59 minutes ago, krittykat said:

I don't think "they decided not to go" is going to cut it for cancelling and expecting reimbursement back from the insurance.  
We had a cruise scheduled for last December and had to cancel 5 days before embarkation due to my dad *not cruising* sudden illness and going into hospice.   It took me 5 months of going in circles with the insurance company and did finally get reimbursed but it was like pulling teeth.
So, considering the difficulties we had with that, I am not sure just deciding not to go will be accepted.

My experience was completely different.  I use an outside company and never use the Cruiseline Brand.  My was got Covid 8 days before cruising.  My lost $5,000.00 due to cancellation.  I had that money in my account in 15 business days.  They even direct deposited it.  

On my next cruise, my adult son got short of breath on the Jolly Roger snorkeling trip.  He went to the ship hospital.  Two hours later, $800.00 was charged to my suite.  This was paid by the insurance company in 16 business days.  

Like with all insurance, you can get some or all of the coverages.  The more you pay, the more it provides.  The key is to remember unless you book cruise insurance the day you book your cruise, many insurance companies will not cover pre-existing issue.  I hope this helps everyone. 

• Like 1

On 9/30/2022 at 8:47 AM, Sthrngary said:

You did not give enough information for opinions to be given.  Allow me to gain clarification:

Have you already reach the time for full payment and has it been paid?

Is the person in question the first or second person on the reservation?

Be specific why the parson wants to cancel?

When is your cruise leaving?

Your headline asks for clarification on Travel Insurance.  Yet your detail in your post does not discuss or ask about travel insurance.  Please clarify your association.  If your question on Travel Insurance was the "Cancel for any reason" clause.  That is not on all insurances and when you do have it, there are rules/policies/restrictions.  Remember, you don't have to get trip interruption or cancellation when buying travel insurance.  They are often options that cost more. 

I agree the website is squirrely and bit wishy washy - like my entire NCL experience has been. 

Here is my dilemma for my son-in-law.

Reason - Work related

Purchased essentials

Paid in Full - by me

Passenger #2 on reservation

2 people in cabin - Passenger #1 can go.

NCL Air - another mistake

Sails Oct 22nd, Flight leaves Oct 20

I hope he changes his mind, but that's the situation.

13 minutes ago, CrazyTrain2 said:

I agree the website is squirrely and bit wishy washy - like my entire NCL experience has been. 

Reason - Work related

Purchased essentials

Paid in Full - by me

@CrazyTrain2 First let me say how sorry I am about your situation.  All you were trying to do was to be kind.  This is an expensive lesson for sure.  Allow me to address your situation:

Essentials NCL Insurance:  This is an inexpensive way to have accident and health insurance on a cruise.  Obviously it does not have a clause "Cancel for any reason".  I have had that clause on other third party insurance.  The amount they would pay is not 100% that way also.  But what I will say it that coverage I had was a lot more expensive then NCL coverage.  

Paid In Full: You are a very kind and thoughtful person.  The issue here is really not NCL.  Their coverages are in their documents.  The issue is your Son-In-Laws work.  I have has a similar situation where a family member was on my booking and not first passenger.  Her work place paid the discrepancy because it was their emergency that caused the issue. My daughter asked and received time off months prior.  Not sure that strategy will work for you but wanted to let you know. 

NCL Air: All and I do mean all Cruiseline Brand airfare is over the top awful.  Like crazy bad because you and I lose complete control of the reservation.  This second person flies free thing is not a great option but you know that now.  That is one expensive lesson.

I also hope he changes his mind.  No one every did that kind of kindness for me.  I am the one that is in your shoes all the time.  All I can say is call NCL, write NCL send that not certified.  Be nice and explain your situation.  I get the best results with NCL, Celebrity, HAL, and all other brands with a certified letter.  Long shot but worth the effort.  

I am fully aware I was NOT HELPFUL here.  Nothing I can say in this situation that will make you feel better or makes things right.  I will say, years ago when I had a serious issue on a cruise, I read the entire cruise contract.  That day I learned the risks on cruising.  It was eye opening.  From that point forward, I always purchased third party insurance with a cancellation clause.  Not cheap however it has paid off for me twice so far. So sorry, really.

Last thought.  I recently did a solo trip.  My first one and I am 65.  It was very nice.  Different but nice.  If that is what happens, focus on only YOU and enjoy the experience the best you can under a very difficult situation.  

Just in case anybody needs to know - there are many third-party travel policies that cover work-related cancellation at 100% on the condition that the policyholder was granted vacation which was later rescinded by the employer. The claim process requires proof in the form of a notarized letter from the employer.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CrazyTrain2 said:

Reason - Work related

Purchased essentials

Paid in Full - by me

Thanks for the feedback.

This odyssey (on par with Homer's) started 2 years ago when the wife and I booked an Alaskan cruise that was Covid cancelled. We parlayed that FCC into the Family Bermuda cruise.  In two years, a lot can change when booking a lot of young adults - Heck one even became eligible to take advantage of the drink package. 

Now that the date is finally approaching what seemed like a sure thing is now in jeopardy.  I doubt his employer will let him off the hook because he is NOW the owner.  I've never cheered so much for a positive Covid test for a family member since Bermuda is still making vaccinated people test (another Odyssey) .

Thanks again for the sympathy/empathy.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sthrngary said:

My experience was completely different.  I use an outside company and never use the Cruiseline Brand.  My was got Covid 8 days before cruising.  My lost $5,000.00 due to cancellation.  I had that money in my account in 15 business days.  They even direct deposited it.  

On my next cruise, my adult son got short of breath on the Jolly Roger snorkeling trip.  He went to the ship hospital.  Two hours later, $800.00 was charged to my suite.  This was paid by the insurance company in 16 business days.  

Like with all insurance, you can get some or all of the coverages.  The more you pay, the more it provides.  The key is to remember unless you book cruise insurance the day you book your cruise, many insurance companies will not cover pre-existing issue.  I hope this helps everyone. 

Definitely, would get my own, none cruise line insurance next time. But will get insurance, whenever I travel

• Thanks 1

Travel Insurance and How it Saved My A$$

Mid 1980's...I was a Federal Criminal Investigator.  One of my cases kept being continued.  The Judge finally put his foot down and told the defense no more continuances.  He then set a date for the trail.  Don't you know it interfered with a family trip to Germany.  Fortunately, I had trip insurance and was fully reimbursed.

Nov 2009, We had booked a January 2010 Galapagos cruise.  Our daughter was shot in her left eye by her estranged BF.  She survived the shooting and was hospitalized.  We needed to be there to offer encouragement and monitor her recovery.  Trip insurance fully reimbursed both Air and Cruise costs.

Those were my experiences and they both fell within the conditions stated on the policies.  

I note the OP has not responded with any follow-up or explanatory posts. So I guess we are all preaching to the choir.😄

• Like 1