Binax Now Test???

WesternBroncoCruiser

I called Oceania about our test requirements for our cruise and all they could tell me was that the test had to be medically administered.

I specifically asked if I could use the Binax Now Emed test and the rep said that she was just reading off the script that it has to be medically administered.   She could not tell me if they accept the E-med medically monitored test.  

We will be embarking in Montreal on 10/31.   

I have also used the Binax Now tests to return to the USA from Spain. Make sure you get the type that is proctored by a live person. Binax has a couple of different types. The proctored ones cost a bit more.

We used our cell phones to do the tests. Just scan the QR code, and it links you up with a person. They check your ID (we used our drivers licenses), and watch you open the test and take it. Then they put you on a timer, and check back with you in 10-15 minutes to view your results.

Very easy & quick.

What Oceania is sending me says that it needs to be a medically administered test, and yes still required on literature, but I am watching to see if there are updates. I have done the BinaxNOW Emed test probably 12 times in the last year for lots of cruise lines, but not Oceania.  Technically it is self administered and medically monitored, and when I call reservations, they just read off the same PDF that I already have.   

13 minutes ago, WesternBroncoCruiser said:

What Oceania is sending me says that it needs to be a medically administered test, and yes still required on literature, but I am watching to see if there are updates. I have done the BinaxNOW Emed test probably 12 times in the last year for lots of cruise lines, but not Oceania.  Technically it is self administered and medically monitored, and when I call reservations, they just read off the same PDF that I already have.   

Maybe  they will update the requirements   as Canada no longer requires pax to be tested prior to boarding  & I think it is the same in the USA ports

https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/news/2022/09/government-of-canada-to-remove-covid-19-border-and-travel-measures-effective-october-1.html

it is all very confusing  with different rules for different Countries

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/30/2022 at 8:55 PM, emd138 said:

We used the Binax test where they watch you over the phone for our Oceania cruise to Bermuda in July, and it was fine.

That's good to know. I have used that one and it was an easy process. I am vaccinated but, due to medical concerns, my wife is not.

I note on the O site that they refer to Inspire as the online service to use. But, unlike Binax/eMed, they require registration.

Has anyone had any issues getting slots for the online testing with Inspire?

1 hour ago, ricka47 said:

That's good to know. I have used that one and it was an easy process. I am vaccinated but, due to medical concerns, my wife is not.

I note on the O site that they refer to Inspire as the online service to use. But, unlike Binax/eMed, they require registration.

Has anyone had any issues getting slots for the online testing with Inspire?

I scheduled my 2 November test date this morning. When I opened the page to schedule, today’s date showed LOTS of openings. Looks like plenty of availability. 
Enjoy your cruise!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PhD-iva said:

I scheduled my 2 November test date this morning. When I opened the page to schedule, today’s date showed LOTS of openings. Looks like plenty of availability. 
Enjoy your cruise!

Good to know - thanks!