Bermuda on a Saturday & Sunday

Lorey2007

We arrive in Bermuda in May on a Saturday for an overnight stop and leave 6pm Sunday.   What are the advantages or disadvantages of being in port on those days?

What are the top tourist things to do & see for seniors that only require limited walking.

30 minutes ago, Lorey2007 said:

We arrive in Bermuda in May on a Saturday for an overnight stop and leave 6pm Sunday.   What are the advantages or disadvantages of being in port on those days?

What are the top tourist things to do & see for seniors that only require limited walking.

There are many disadvantages to being there Saturday and Sunday. Transportation runs on a reduced schedule. Ferries don't run to St. George on the weekend. Stores will be closed in Hamilton and St. George. There will be stores open at the Dockyard as it is a cruise tourist center. Restauarnts will be open. Attractions like the Caves and Aquarium will be open. The weekend is good for the beach but May is not ideal beach weather. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I hope they have some mini bus tours either on Saturday or Sunday with either RCL or private tour companies.  We were in Sitka, Alaska on a Sunday in August all the tours were sold out and no taxi's or busses running.  We ended up renting a car with Turo, it actually worked out great I doubt Bermuda has anything like that especially with driving on the other side of the road. 

1 hour ago, Lorey2007 said:

I hope they have some mini bus tours either on Saturday or Sunday with either RCL or private tour companies.  We were in Sitka, Alaska on a Sunday in August all the tours were sold out and no taxi's or busses running.  We ended up renting a car with Turo, it actually worked out great I doubt Bermuda has anything like that especially with driving on the other side of the road. 

I think a tour is a great option for Saturday or Sunday. You can do a taxi tour $50  an hour minimum 3 hours now but taxi rates ar going up soon. There are also private  minibus tours. You can pre arrange tours which is best but usually you can get a  taxi tour or minibus tour when you get off the ship. They also have 2 seater electric vehicles for rent in Bermuda but you must book those in advance. We used to have a good list of tour operators but because of the covid hiatus it is pretty dated. One tour operator that I know is still going strong is Heidi Cowan of Bermuda Byways. https://www.bermudabyways.com/tours/  

2 hours ago, Lorey2007 said:

We ended up renting a car with Turo, it actually worked out great I doubt Bermuda has anything like that especially with driving on the other side of the road

Charles gave some good advice above but to confirm, there are no traditional rental cars allowed at all on Bermuda-- either through usual rental companies or Turo. Just motor scooters or a couple types of two seater electric vehicles. 

20 hours ago, princeton123211 said:

Charles gave some good advice above but to confirm, there are no traditional rental cars allowed at all on Bermuda-- either through usual rental companies or Turo. Just motor scooters or a couple types of two seater electric vehicles. 

I'm hoping we will be able to book a minibus tour on Saturday, either a private one of one with the cruise line.  I don't think we would ever rent a car in a foreign country we only did Turo in Sitka, Alaska because they dropped the car right at the pier.

37 minutes ago, Lorey2007 said:

I'm hoping we will be able to book a minibus tour on Saturday, either a private one of one with the cruise line.  I don't think we would ever rent a car in a foreign country we only did Turo in Sitka, Alaska because they dropped the car right at the pier.

i suggest booking a private one unless you have OBC to burn. The cruise line books the same minibuses and upcharges you. 

29 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

i suggest booking a private one unless you have OBC to burn. The cruise line books the same minibuses and upcharges you. 

That's what I usually do but when I saw we were there on a Saturday I started to get paranoid after our Sitka experience.

Thanks

FYI - 95% of Hamilton is closed on Sunday. We were there a few years ago .We took the ferry to town, walked around for 15 minutes and realized it was a waste of time. We were lucky to get on the same ferry going back to the Dockyard, otherwise we would have been stuck there for another 1 1/2 to 2 hours.

21 hours ago, Lorey2007 said:

That's what I usually do but when I saw we were there on a Saturday I started to get paranoid after our Sitka experience.

Thanks

If you are paranoid because of that bad experience go ahead and do a cruise line tour. Your piece of mind is more important than saving a few dollars. 

• Like 1