Streaming Spotify

Dukesatoz

37 minutes ago, Dukesatoz said:

Has anyone ever tried to stream Spotify with the premium Internet package? Is the Internet service that good that it would be worth it?

No it is not that good. It is satellite internet with the latency that brings. And it is like sharing your internet at home with 2000-4000 other people at the same time. It is slow at best. I would not depend on it for consistent streaming. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dukesatoz said:

Has anyone ever tried to stream Spotify with the premium Internet package? Is the Internet service that good that it would be worth it?

You should be able to stream Spotify to your heart's content! The premium package (with streaming, if I remember correctly) is what my husband had on our previous cruise. YouTube, Instagram, Spotify, and other apps worked just fine. We truly had virtually no issue streaming or browsing. 

We had the unlimited Wi-Fi, but not streaming, in April. Again, there was no issue watching YouTube and Instagram...well I shouldn't say no issue. They did buffer a little bit, but not terribly. Again, Spotify worked just fine. 

Happy streaming!!

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

In theory you can. But you're at the mercy of the ships connection to the internet. 

I've been on board where the connection was so bad, Spotify was unusable and I couldn't stream the daily news podcast I listen to. (and it's not bandwidth intensive). 

While it can work in theory, it may not in practice. Make sure you download everything you want to listen to is downloaded before you board or while in port. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Ultimately, whether it's worth it or not depends on your preferences and the specific cruise you're planning. It's always a good idea to do some research and check with the cruise line for the most accurate information.

1 hour ago, elliotlake12 said:

If I download Spotify podcasts prior to sailing, does it use ship internet when listening once onboard?

No, you do not need the ship Wifi on and it will not take up your internet minutes when you use Spotify downloads.  I use this on every cruise and it works perfectly.  I create a playlist for every cruise and download much more than I could ever listen to.  It's easy to find your downloads but you do need a subscription to Spotify to use this feature.  Just don't forget to logoff of the ship internet when you are done surfing/emailing, it will get you every time.

On 1/6/2024 at 6:45 AM, elliotlake12 said:

If I download Spotify podcasts prior to sailing, does it use ship internet when listening once onboard?

No. If downloaded, the episode is on your device so you do not need an internet connection. You can even listen to the podcast when in airplane mode. 

On 1/6/2024 at 7:16 AM, crow99 said:

Never been able to get Spotify to work on the Ship, if you download in advance it will work.

I'm sorry you haven't had luck! I have never had an issue getting Spotify to work. Sometimes there is a slight buffering time with non-downloaded podcasts, but that happens to me on land also. It's never been so bad that I couldn't listen. I'm sorry your experience has been subpar!