Drive-by cruise Penguin visit

CRUISER94044

Hi all,

We are booked on the Sapphire Princess Antarctica cruise.  (We would love to have booked an excursion cruise with Zodiac Landings,  but this is all our budget can handle at this time).   I want to make sure I can see Penguins at one of our stops.  Here are my two options,  which would you suggest?  

Port Stanley Falklands:  Gentoo Penguins expedition of Newan's Station 

Punta Arenas:  Magdalena Island Penguin Reserve (involves a 2 hour boat ride to get to the Island and is described as a rough crossing)

Thanks for all your thoughts!

It is my understanding that Magdalena Island has a high chance of being canceled due to weather conditions.

Port Stanley ... whether the ship can call here is very much weather dependent since this is a tender port.  Assuming the ship is able to do so ... I am not familiar with the Newan's Station excursion, but if you can book Patrick's Volunteer Point tour (not ship's tour) you will get to see King Penguins.  Google Patrick Volunteer Point for contact info.  For a shorter tour, Gypsy Cove might be an option.

I’ve been within sight of Magdalena Island and had the ferry turn back due to rough seas. Even if you make it, the seating is worse than a bus and no real option of an outside deck, so Falklands or Puerto Madryn for cruises that include that port are better options.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/5/2022 at 2:03 PM, 2552phxcrzr said:

It is my understanding that Magdalena Island has a high chance of being canceled due to weather conditions.

Port Stanley ... whether the ship can call here is very much weather dependent since this is a tender port.  Assuming the ship is able to do so ... I am not familiar with the Newan's Station excursion, but if you can book Patrick's Volunteer Point tour (not ship's tour) you will get to see King Penguins.  Google Patrick Volunteer Point for contact info.  For a shorter tour, Gypsy Cove might be an option.

Patrick is sold out

• 2 weeks later...