Chocolate buffet at lunch on the Meraviglia

racephoto

I can't remember the last time I saw a chocolate buffet on a cruise ship. It's literally been decades. Man, was it good. Delicious smooth high fat chocolate. Not that gritty stuff that's more gray than brown. I must have eaten a pound of it. I had one piece of cake, the lady behind the counter told me it was basically all chocolate cake with different frostings and decorations so I wanted to save room for the real chocolate. 🙂PXL_20221005_151637675.thumb.jpg.b1bb4376e4f589c40dd373474cd23bd6.jpgPXL_20221005_151628052.thumb.jpg.e7a4d9a8bc6a5efbb2eba5a6907e2585.jpgPXL_20221005_151613755.thumb.jpg.dcb3aceb359b15557236c0c73d3ef0b8.jpgPXL_20221005_151547180.thumb.jpg.2b09a33abd85c96a303c7aeb0a97f7ac.jpgPXL_20221005_151521062.thumb.jpg.834dc2f387da73236942a9f39870446a.jpgPXL_20221005_151434084.thumb.jpg.1c92b02ac833849b136763ab0a896da8.jpgPXL_20221005_151426716.thumb.jpg.5544f7db45bc28cca74135281848f6a1.jpgPXL_20221005_151422364.thumb.jpg.6749604c273de3823df82793c943f0ce.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

On 10/5/2022 at 3:18 PM, racephoto said:

I can't remember the last time I saw a chocolate buffet on a cruise ship. It's literally been decades. Man, was it good. Delicious smooth high fat chocolate. Not that gritty stuff that's more gray than brown. I must have eaten a pound of it. I had one piece of cake, the lady behind the counter told me it was basically all chocolate cake with different frostings and decorations so I wanted to save room for the real chocolate. 🙂

Is the chocolate buffet listed in the dailies? I will be on the Meraviglia next month and don't want to miss it, if they still have this. It looks yummy!

Edited by Afever

Back in the day; when MSC was mostly such an Italian thing for the Italians; they used to have "Il Magnífico" which was a huge and wonderfully beautiful superb full midnight buffet, offered on the last day of the cruise from the main mass embarkation port. It used to be such a moment, mostly for the eyes, less for the food itself, but something I somewhat miss it to an extent, even though I understand the no food waste concerns those buffets were creating. MSC finished them by 2015, because of the food waste, cut corners, but as someone told me, to avoid electronic devices and jewelry robberies that started to pop up as ships became larger and all sort of individuals started to go on. As far as I know they only do it now on very rare occasions like Christmas, New Year's Eve and/or if a special public holiday arises. Sometimes they may to do it if there is a special event on the ship with the press. Otherwise no such things like that...

And that, even though only a tiny part of it, was superb!... Hope one day to have one of those! Moments like those are to be enjoyed!...

8 hours ago, Afever said:

Is the chocolate buffet listed in the dailies? I will be on the Meraviglia next month and don't want to miss it, if they still have this. It looks yummy!

I didn’t see anything about it in the paper planner or the app. It was just dumb luck that I ended up there at the right time.

On 10/6/2022 at 9:44 PM, Georgia_Peaches said:

Wow!  Until just now I thought I had no reason to visit the buffet. Guess I was wrong. 

You certainly are wrong.  DH and I are "buffet people".  We rarely go to the MDR or any specialty restaurants (skip the ones we are entitled to on NCL) because the buffets have a better variety of food.  And you don't have to wait for the waiter to bring one slice of cake....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MsTabbyKats said:

You certainly are wrong.  DH and I are "buffet people".  We rarely go to the MDR or any specialty restaurants (skip the ones we are entitled to on NCL) because the buffets have a better variety of food.  And you don't have to wait for the waiter to bring one slice of cake....

#1 - how can an opinion be wrong?

#2 - wow, you have really strong opinions about what can be worn in the MDR but now you say you don't go there?  Why would you weigh in on how someone wearing a wife beater, cut off shorts and baseball cap not impact your dining if you are not in the dining room? (curious minds want to know..)

#3 - Yes, meals in the MDR are "coursed" (brought out course by course), so, yes, you will wait for your dessert after the other plates are removed.  Is this wrong?  I think cake is GROSS; does that make my opinion about cake wrong?  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Morgsmom said:

#1 - how can an opinion be wrong?

#2 - wow, you have really strong opinions about what can be worn in the MDR but now you say you don't go there?  Why would you weigh in on how someone wearing a wife beater, cut off shorts and baseball cap not impact your dining if you are not in the dining room? (curious minds want to know..)

#3 - Yes, meals in the MDR are "coursed" (brought out course by course), so, yes, you will wait for your dessert after the other plates are removed.  Is this wrong?  I think cake is GROSS; does that make my opinion about cake wrong?  

Time to lighten up!

Even "the poster" appreciated my comment.

• Like 1

On 10/7/2022 at 7:48 PM, racephoto said:

I didn’t see anything about it in the paper planner or the app. It was just dumb luck that I ended up there at the right time.

Same here, We usually eat in the buffet for lunch.  Couldn't figure out why the dessert line was so long. Usually no waiting as I grab fruit tarts or eclairs. Then we saw it! Your photos are right on!