Bits and Pieces on Grand’s final US voyage until 2023

cr8tiv1

2 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Thank you for your kind words.  

Regardless of which cabin category you picked, you will have a wonderful trip to Alaska.  

Will this be a roundtrip Vancouver or one way?  Glacier Bay is absolutely beautiful.  

Yes, I am a Grand Princess cheerleader...rah rah rah.

We will be doing the one way 7 Day Voyage of the Glaciers Southbound.  Our itinerary will visit Glacier Bay and Hubbard Glacier.  Those were my two requirements for places to visit on the cruise.

We are actually doing an Alaska Cruisetour with 5 days in Alaska before we cruise.  My mom is going on the trip with us and will enjoy visiting Denali National Park.  I only wish the park road was open fully but we will make the best of the situation.  This will be a special trip as my mom will celebrate her birthday when we are in Juneau.   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, msvca said:

We will be doing the one way 7 Day Voyage of the Glaciers Southbound.  Our itinerary will visit Glacier Bay and Hubbard Glacier.  Those were my two requirements for places to visit on the cruise.

We are actually doing an Alaska Cruisetour with 5 days in Alaska before we cruise.  My mom is going on the trip with us and will enjoy visiting Denali National Park.  I only wish the park road was open fully but we will make the best of the situation.  This will be a special trip as my mom will celebrate her birthday when we are in Juneau.   

Smart to do the cruise tour first.  I've done it.  Had beautiful hot, clear, summer days in the park. 

On 10/9/2022 at 5:19 PM, cr8tiv1 said:

Embarkation Day / continued:  Window Suites

Once onboard, I headed straight to our Muster Station checkin since we embarked on Deck 7/Crown Grill.  Then walked to the forward elevators to avoid the crowds of people trying to get to their decks midship.  One deck down was our coveted Window Suites on Fiesta Deck.

On a side note:  Did I mention that I called my travel agent in June?  I told her that if she could find me a Window Suite on the Grand for the repositioning cruise from Vancouver to book me.  I could not see any availability on the website.  Not only did she find me a Window Suite but was able to book me in my favorite stateroom, F311.  I have managed to avoid F309, F305, and F301.  I would get lost on my way to the bathroom at night since the furniture is arranged “opposite..ly”.  I can’t imagine why anyone would dislike the location, but one of the cabins was empty.  My steward said that the passengers were unhappy when they arrived at their cabin.  It didn’t have a balcony and they moved.  I didn’t ask if they paid for an upgrade or whatever.  But the ship was sailing at about 50% capacity.  Didn’t think there were any more suites available.  Window Suites have 21 drawers, 3 closets, double sinks, 5 USB lamps, 5 European outlets, 2 US outlets, and feet away from Club Class Dining.  My travel agent is a miracle worker and always comes through for me.

image.thumb.png.f99a72822e32ba5a608c0735b277cb39.png

First things first.  Sat my sister down so she could watch the Muster Drill on the television, while I alcohol’d the entire cabin.  I’m not as bad as Howie Mandel, but I can be a little OCD when it comes to germs.  There was a nice vegetable platter waiting for us from my TA.  We went to lunch and then the infamous hors d’oeuvre arrived.  At least they were fresh and cold.

My room steward appeared and remembered me from my last March/April cruise.  He asked for my list.  I always have a “list” of things I might forget to request.  And as I get oldER, the list gets longer.  He brought us 2 glasses of champagne.  I always bring along Hawaiian treats and handed him a small bag.  This time, I also brought along Dove chocolates and told him to help himself, which he did every day.  When I traded out my mini bars, I gave him 6 beers.

The suite did not have an orchid plant (which arrived on the third day).  Round bars of soap, shampoo, conditioner, and lotion in the tubes were in the stateroom along with the giant bottles (shower gel and shampoo/conditioner) in the shower and on the counter top (lotion and hand soap).  My elite and/or suite amenities include an emery board, q-tips, and a shower cap x 2.  There was an orchid spike in the bathroom too.  I won't dwell on the things that were missing.

image.thumb.png.8033f22d6bf6d5ac782fbd19e079b96a.png

I called room service to request a fruit basket.  She was very nice and told us there were no strawberries or pears but suggested bananas.  I also gave her my order for the (two) mini-bar switch out and told them we were not in any hurry and could waiting until the next day when things settled down for them.  Missing in the picture are the grapes, vegetable dip, and champagne that my sister enjoyed.

image.thumb.png.8ddf23e9c22c2ab3cbd214274665e8b3.png

image.png.ddf9f046c67c1bd04ef8af75683705cb.png

Note that masks were “required” but was never enforced.

Where did you find the first picture of the room layout?

4 hours ago, PamahoNow said:

Where did you find the first picture of the room layout?

I do not recall when I found it, but the person who did the drawing once chimed in to let me know who he/she was.  Unfortunately, I never kept his/her details to give them credit.  I am so thrilled to have run across this floor plan.  

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, MN Syrup Cruiser said:

For the aforementioned floor plan, go to  - scroll down past the pictures.

I am not sure what you are referring to when you suggest that I scroll down past the photos.  Please clarify? 

@MN Syrup Cruiser  I am sorry.  I am still confused.

Yes, I am the one that posted the floor plan (above) on the "Window Suite vs Vista Suite on Grand Princess" and my "Bits and Pieces" threads.  

I am not trying to be difficult.  I just don't understand what you are trying to get across to me.  

• 4 weeks later...

I so enjoyed reading the account of your cruise. I too adore those suite wallets.☺️ My mother-in-law and I have yanked our hubbies’ ones after ours became worn out. My hubby is still upset about it. 🤣 It’s good to know that the peanut butter cookies are still available; you just have to ask for them. I hope your sister had tons of fun so she will cruise with you again in the future. That picture from yesteryear in Hawaii is beautiful; is that of you? That’s so cool your sis got to have a bit on Magnum PI; too bad they cut it! Happy sailing to you!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, cruisequeen4ever said:

I so enjoyed reading the account of your cruise. I too adore those suite wallets.☺️ My mother-in-law and I have yanked our hubbies’ ones after ours became worn out. My hubby is still upset about it. 🤣 It’s good to know that the peanut butter cookies are still available; you just have to ask for them. I hope your sister had tons of fun so she will cruise with you again in the future. That picture from yesteryear in Hawaii is beautiful; is that of you? That’s so cool your sis got to have a bit on Magnum PI; too bad they cut it! Happy sailing to you!

Thank you for reading my story.  Yes, my sister will cruise with me again.  I was mistaken, she said that her short scene was included (Magnum episode 19.  Legacy from a friend can be watched on Apple+ and several other streaming channels/all of which I do not have).  No, that is not me in the vintage photo.  No, the peanut butter cookies are not the same as before, but still better than me making them.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Thank you for reading my story.  Yes, my sister will cruise with me again.  I was mistaken, she said that her short scene was included (Magnum episode 19.  Legacy from a friend can be watched on Apple+ and several other streaming channels/all of which I do not have).  No, that is not me in the vintage photo.  No, the peanut butter cookies are not the same as before, but still better than me making them.

Oh that’s cool her scene aired! Ok, I’ll be interested to taste them next month and see if I notice a difference. 

• Like 1