Formal Night - Specialty Dining

PMGS247

Does Formal Night dress code apply to Specialty dining as well?

First HAL cruise coming up and we're accustomed to Princess where it was kind of a loophole if you didn't want to go full formal but also didn't want to eat on the Lido that the specialty dining restaurants maintained the same standard dress code throughout the cruise, regardless of formal night vs not.  Curious if HAL is the same or if the dress code applies to Specialty restaurants as well.

16 minutes ago, PMGS247 said:

Of course. 
However, in recent years HAL has downgraded the dress code from Formal to Gala, and now 'dressy'. 

Although full formal dress can be seen, you really have to look for it. Many people don't even seem to be able to reach the level of 'dressy'. On my recent cruise there were people who didn't bother to change out of their daywear. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, PMGS247 said:

I wear kaki pants and a long sleeve dress shirt to dinner every night and that meets the HAL dress code for every night....dressy night included....for the MDR and Surcharge restaurants. 

• Thanks 1

I thought the specialty restaurants were Smart Casual any day, but I bow to RuthC's expertise!

But also what she and FlaMariner said. You don't have to bring a tux or gowns!

I see they have changed up the FAQs when they edited out the Gala to "Dressy". It used to specify a "collared shirt" for men, even for Gala nights. It now says:

"Evening dress falls into two distinct categories: Dressy attire or smart casual. Most evenings, smart casual is appropriate and can be defined as slacks and sports shirts or sweater for men and a skirt or trousers and sweater or blouse for women. Shorts, flip-flops, swimwear, distressed jeans and men's tank tops are best left to daytime and the poolside. 

"Dressy Nights evoke the grand traditions of cruising as guests dress to impress for special events on board, including a five-course gourmet dinner in the Dining Room. Jacket and tie are appropriate for gentlemen, while ladies wear a cocktail dress or gown. On Grand Voyages, many gentlemen choose formal attire. "

But don't let that alarm you. My husband will have a guayabera and I may have a sparkly top, both with dark-colored slacks or leggings. We have no one to impress after all!

Edited by crystalspin

17 hours ago, crystalspin said:

I thought the specialty restaurants were Smart Casual any day, but I bow to RuthC's expertise!

Yes this was kind of the crux of my question, I'm accustomed to specialty restaurants remaining smart casual all the way through.

To be honest, my wife and I tend to participate in dressy/formal/etc. nights early for photos around the ship but often go back and change into something more comfortable for the evening's meals/shows and simply don't go to the main dining room those evenings.  Specialty was a nice work around to still have a good non-Lido meal but not feel like we were breaking any rules.

Edited by PMGS247