Newbie Cruiser w/Back to Ship Question

Libbyyell

I booked my Alaska trip late and then messed around and put off making my whale watching excursion! Which is really the whole reason I'm going to Alaska!.  The only time I could get is a 3:40PM departure w/a return time at 7:30.  My ship departs Juneau at 9:00PM.  Do you think this is plausible.  It is with Jayleen's Alaska tours.  Can I get dropped off and make it back on the boat for a 9:00PM departure?  I've never cruised before except for a scaled down Greek cruise on a really small, small ship.  I don't know what I'm doing.  

Any advice will be appreciated.  Have I really messed up and I should I just cancel the whale watching because of the time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Libbyyell said:

I booked my Alaska trip late and then messed around and put off making my whale watching excursion! Which is really the whole reason I'm going to Alaska!.  The only time I could get is a 3:40PM departure w/a return time at 7:30.  My ship departs Juneau at 9:00PM.  Do you think this is plausible.  It is with Jayleen's Alaska tours.  Can I get dropped off and make it back on the boat for a 9:00PM departure?  I've never cruised before except for a scaled down Greek cruise on a really small, small ship.  I don't know what I'm doing.  

Any advice will be appreciated.  Have I really messed up and I should I just cancel the whale watching because of the time.

I think you will be OK.  All aboard time for your ship will probably be 30 minutes before scheduled departure.  That gives you a cushion of an hour to make it back to your ship.  On the day of your tour, I recommend that you confirm all aboard and sailing time before you leave the ship and be certain to tell your tour guide when you need to return from the tour.  Good luck!  

2 hours ago, Libbyyell said:

Are you still able to book a whale watching through the ship? It may be a bit more expensive but it will relieve all the stress! 
webe booked one via the ship with an “Allen Family” excursion.

For a 9 PM departure our OP will need to be on the ship by 8:30 PM.  Just call Jaayleen's  Alaska and confirm where they drop you off following your whale watching excursion.

Also, if our OP is visiting Icy Straight Point there are excellent whale watching opportunities there.

I suspect our poster in post #4 is on an Allen Marine tour.  Allen Marine is a frequent cruise line vendor.  It is a fairly large company (by  Alaska tour standards) with multiple ships.  We've had great experiences with them.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Northern Aurora said:

For a 9 PM departure our OP will need to be on the ship by 8:30 PM.  Just call Jaayleen's  Alaska and confirm where they drop you off following your whale watching excursion.

Also, if our OP is visiting Icy Straight Point there are excellent whale watching opportunities there.

I suspect our poster in post #4 is on an Allen Marine tour.  Allen Marine is a frequent cruise line vendor.  It is a fairly large company (by  Alaska tour standards) with multiple ships.  We've had great experiences with them.

Yes we are booked via the ship excursion. There were a few options but we selected the Allen’s family one as great reviews 

On 10/7/2022 at 12:40 PM, Libbyyell said:

This schedule is completely fine! 

🛳EnJOY! 

We have gone out with Jayleen multiple times and have never had a problem getting back to the ship on time.  Jayleen lives in Juneau and know the importance of getting her clients back to the ship.

But, if you are really concerned, take "Northern Aurora's" suggestion and call her for peace of mind.

Although we had plenty of time to get back to the ship since we took an early tour, we were late getting back to the dock due to rough water once. It was on one of the smaller 6 passenger boats. They canceled the next tour after ours. This was with Jayleen and quite a few years ago.