Queen Victoria In Search of Northern Lights V227

photosg

19 hours ago, Host Hattie said:

Oh dear, were you travelling on your own? If not, was your travelling companion positive and quarantined as well?

Full disclosure - my husband caught Covid on the 23rd September sailing and I'm wondering if the procedures are the same.

Yes, we both tested positive unfortunately.  My wife is now negative.

16 hours ago, babs135 said:

Wonder how many people had Covid and reported/didn't report it?  DH and I were on board and didn't hear of any cases.  Seems strange that the decision was still made to go ahead with make mask wearing optional. Subbuteo 14, hope you feel better quickly.

I certainly saw evidence of other possible positives on our corridor.  I saw the medical technician administering a test before we needed ours and I saw evidence of repeated use of room service on our corridor.  Not conclusive I know, but it's all you'd have seen of us in the second week!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, subbuteo14 said:

I certainly saw evidence of other possible positives on our corridor.  I saw the medical technician administering a test before we needed ours and I saw evidence of repeated use of room service on our corridor.  Not conclusive I know, but it's all you'd have seen of us in the second week!

The other clue on our cruise was the number of cases in the special disembarkation area at the end, a lot!

47 minutes ago, subbuteo14 said:

May I ask which deck you were on? 

@photosg I am wondering how much WWII history was obvious/displayed/explained in Narvik? I’m reading a book 7 Days in May…about Winston’s becoming P.M. and it begins with the situation in Narvik and his nephew being held by the Germans.

Also, do you think there is a lack of colorful paint in Stavanger? We’re in the process of choosing a new color for our house, and it would be great to just know your house is going to be white. Perhaps there are city rules that state all houses on these 2 blocks must be white. And, how would such a tradition begin? If your house is surrounded by white snow it won’t appear? Your house looks like every other house, conformity is a good thing. Imagine telling a visiting fried, “Ah, our house is the 2nd white house after the first stop sign.” Little kids in class being asked to draw a picture of their house. Those poor blue and green crayons! 🙂

2 minutes ago, techteach said:

@photosg I am wondering how much WWII history was obvious/displayed/explained in Narvik? I’m reading a book 7 Days in May…about Winston’s becoming P.M. and it begins with the situation in Narvik and his nephew being held by the Germans.

Also, do you think there is a lack of colorful paint in Stavanger? We’re in the process of choosing a new color for our house, and it would be great to just know your house is going to be white. Perhaps there are city rules that state all houses on these 2 blocks must be white. And, how would such a tradition begin? If your house is surrounded by white snow it won’t appear? Your house looks like every other house, conformity is a good thing. Imagine telling a visiting fried, “Ah, our house is the 2nd white house after the first stop sign.” Little kids in class being asked to draw a picture of their house. Those poor blue and green crayons! 🙂

Certainly, where I live there, are no regulations, but nobody would think of using any colour other than white for painting the pebbledash on their house.

@exlondoner Why would you not? Is this logic or conformity?  We lived in one housing development that stipulated a color palette. That rule was supposedly about house value and aesthetics. I think about the color palette of San Francisco or the Amalfi coast. Stavanger was all white and I really did wonder why. If you know please share. Painting pebble dash must not be very fun!

2 hours ago, exlondoner said:

Certainly, where I live there, are no regulations, but nobody would think of using any colour other than white for painting the pebbledash on their house.

I just repainted our pebbledash a lovely sunnshine yellow 😎 but in some areas like the old town of Stavanger the colours of houses are probably guided by local rules.

Like in Bergan

Bryggen i Bergen tatt fra sjøsiden, med båter foran.

or Tobemoray in the Isle of Mull

pic.thumb.jpeg.d7cb74f3443dc245590ec5a350b58bc8.jpeg

Edited by groryjm

3 hours ago, techteach said:

@exlondoner Why would you not? Is this logic or conformity?  We lived in one housing development that stipulated a color palette. That rule was supposedly about house value and aesthetics. I think about the color palette of San Francisco or the Amalfi coast. Stavanger was all white and I really did wonder why. If you know please share. Painting pebble dash must not be very fun!

Not currently possible to compare San Fran with the Amalfi coast at the moment. 
Unless, of course, the Amalfi coast now smells of urine and hash. 

• Haha 1

@swjumbo I’m comparing the two places by color schemes. I’m comparing the fact that both places have a distinctive color palette. Our neighborhood in the Pacific Northwest has lots of browns, greens, greys. It all blends in with the tall pines and cedars. One of the first things I noticed when I went to San Francisco were houses in lighter colors. Think of Santorini! All of that blue and white - it’s traditional, but the white color also keeps the homes cooler. Stavanger doesn’t need to worry about keeping homes cool by painting their homes white. The example of Bergan posted by @groryjm is another example. Thanks for the post groryjm.  Now that I’ve typed this I’m not sure why I took the time swjumbo, I think you knew what I meant.

On 10/24/2022 at 4:56 PM, techteach said:

Not much at all that I saw or remember. But then we didn’t do much apart from drive to the cable car and go up and down.

we had an excellent insight lecturer and he did give a very well attended and appreciated talk on Norway during ww2. (And a few other war and espionage themed talks. all great.)

• Like 2

On 10/7/2022 at 8:58 PM, sfred said:

Best wishes for your voyage @photosg!  We're on the QM2 version of Norway in a few weeks from now in November, so will be eager to hear of your experiences.

I see that your itinerary includes a cruise-by to Romsdalsfjord, which QM2's does not.  If you have a chance, and would like to contribute to the "Where in the World" port game, please share a photo.  Romsdalsfjord is an unseen cruise-by in the game.  Thanks!

Hello @sfred, not sure If this still counts as Romsdalfjord, it was after dinner that night.

9E99D804-54D0-4BE9-B890-B66A046EB1D7.thumb.jpeg.8e6a3f816bc5fab1ed01a0932fb3284d.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, swjumbo said:

Thank you for your regular updates.

We’ve really enjoyed them and you have sparked a debate here about jam or cream first. 
Keep up the good work and look forward to the next review. X

Cream first obviously.....

DSC03975.thumb.JPG.79fdb013c7ba910f8e13719ef242d494.JPG

• Haha 2

On 10/8/2022 at 3:58 AM, sfred said:

I see that your itinerary includes a cruise-by to Romsdalsfjord, which QM2's does not.  If you have a chance, and would like to contribute to the "Where in the World" port game, please share a photo.  Romsdalsfjord is an unseen cruise-by in the game.  Thanks!

Hello again @sfred! how is your cruise going?

Now that i am back home and on my computer I have been going through my 1,600 holiday snaps and here are a few from from Andalsnes/Romsdalsfjord that you might like.

IMG_1701.thumb.jpeg.149893f28710b508f0f9176fda7c5dee.jpeg

IMG_1822.thumb.jpeg.8e8a3825c6398421c296b1d081e820f2.jpeg

IMG_1825.thumb.jpeg.4ea3e3a9dd1f46bbac4ad747523b2f85.jpegIMG_1825.thumb.jpeg.4ea3e3a9dd1f46bbac4ad747523b2f85.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 10/24/2022 at 6:23 PM, groryjm said:

I just repainted our pebbledash a lovely sunnshine yellow 😎 but in some areas like the old town of Stavanger the colours of houses are probably guided by local rules.

Like in Bergan

Bryggen i Bergen tatt fra sjøsiden, med båter foran.

Grorygm - thank you for this picture of Bergen - I think it is the most beautiful thing I have ever seen.