Standby

11 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

I think the USCG and CBP would disagree that their autonomy is semantics, even though they fall under the same Cabinet Department.  That would be like saying that the Army and Navy are the same, since they fall under Defense.  And, I really think the Marines would disagree.

Man that tic's me off.  I had a nice post about ready to "Submit", got a message on my phone, came back here and it was all gone.  So, in short:

Like all U.S. Government agencies/departments there is a chart (flow chart if you will) of it's hierarchy, officially or not.  Someone's autonomy is always under scrutiny and subject to have their feelings hurt, including the USCG, TSA, and CBP. 

For example, the U.S. Army is the Senior Service of the DOD.  I'd love to see the hierarchy flow chart of the Department of Homeland Security.  

Question:  If all the passenger security screening personal at Port Everglades for example, decided to stage a walk-out, who would take over the screening?  What is the Contingency Plan?  I don't think the Department of Homeland Security would have the USCG do it.  My guess DHS would call upon TSA to fill in at the expense of the neighboring airports or even bring them in from all over the region TDY, they are fully prepared, trained, and probably available as a quick response.  I'd bet that USCG and/or the CBP don't have personnel trained to run the various types of security hi-tech equipment.  Seen and unseen/behind the scenes.

Once again.  I'm not acting/presenting anything as if I'm an authoritarian on this subject.  Like I said, I've been retired from Port Everglades for a long time and I've been retired from the U.S. Army for an even longer time.  I was in the business of highly sensitive area of physical, document, nuke, and personnel security.  Much of what I learned, was trained on, supervised and so on has changed and I freely admit that. 

All this stuff is just interesting to me. 

On 10/7/2022 at 4:23 PM, Chiliburn said:

I was told a few years ago before the shutdown that you can get on a standby list for cruises that are undersold.

Has anyone had experience with this ?

Im looking at a cruise in 5 weeks on Ovation and it’s already cheap and has about 180 balconies available.

I’m assuming you are talking about the 11 day NZ cruise. If you make it I’ll be on it also. Boarding tomorrow for the TP.

10 hours ago, Chiliburn said:

That sounds something like what they where saying,a willing to sail list.

It was only about 4 years ago ,they said someone would call them .
I don’t know if it was a agent or Crown &Anchor   but  they would say we have a cheap cabin ,are you interested?
But I have been asked years ago on the ship if I would like to stay for the next cruise.

Also before Royal up my agent used to call about a paid upgrade and if anyone I knew wanted to go on the cruise.

Since you’re in Sydney things are probably different in Australia compared to here. Maybe they do it there, but I have no clue.

8 hours ago, orville99 said:

That happens on virtually every cruise we have been on since the restart. We have actually taken advantage of it on 1-2 occasions.

What’s the secret? I have been on 22 since the restart and have never been asked. Some of them I booked while already onboard, but no special price. Just the going rate for what they were selling for at the time. I did get some really good prices on some of them, but those were also available to others.

On 10/8/2022 at 2:26 PM, chengkp75 said:

For most lines, prior to covid, you could book within about 24 hours of sailing, some up to the afternoon before.

You sure about that? I had the understanding that post-9/11, there was a minimum of 2-3 days to get onto a new embarkation (B2B isn't the same as you are already vetted). It appears that the closest cruise one can find on a cruise line website is at least three days out. I did find a Carnival cruise on Conquest sailing tomorrow, but I couldn't actually proceed to book on it.

44 minutes ago, publicpersona said:

You sure about that? I had the understanding that post-9/11, there was a minimum of 2-3 days to get onto a new embarkation (B2B isn't the same as you are already vetted). It appears that the closest cruise one can find on a cruise line website is at least three days out. I did find a Carnival cruise on Conquest sailing tomorrow, but I couldn't actually proceed to book on it.

Yes it is appx 24 hours.  I have seen many sailings available the day before.  

I will admit I am not 100% sure about this and hopefully someone else can provide more information. I believe cruise lines do have a stand by list where you can get on for free at the last minute. However, this is for employees that work for the cruise line. If memory serves me correctly I remember reading an article (years ago) about cruise lines and they interviewed someone that worked out of the corporate office and they were able to be put on a stand by list and show up at the port and if there were no shows or open cabins they were able to go for free. I have no idea if the cruise lines still offer this benefit or if only certain lines do but not others. Just like airlines offer their employees free seats at departure time if they are empty I believe cruise lines do the same thing. However this would be for actual employees of the cruise line and not for non employees. Maybe this is where the OP heard of a stand by list. Maybe there are people on here that would have more information. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, md80fan said:

I will admit I am not 100% sure about this and hopefully someone else can provide more information. I believe cruise lines do have a stand by list where you can get on for free at the last minute. However, this is for employees that work for the cruise line. If memory serves me correctly I remember reading an article (years ago) about cruise lines and they interviewed someone that worked out of the corporate office and they were able to be put on a stand by list and show up at the port and if there were no shows or open cabins they were able to go for free. I have no idea if the cruise lines still offer this benefit or if only certain lines do but not others. Just like airlines offer their employees free seats at departure time if they are empty I believe cruise lines do the same thing. However this would be for actual employees of the cruise line and not for non employees. Maybe this is where the OP heard of a stand by list. Maybe there are people on here that would have more information. 

My Carnival PVP has stated that he and his wife and children have been able to cruise free on standby, and only once has the ship been full and they had to go home and unpack. 

• 9 months later...
On 10/8/2022 at 6:21 PM, orville99 said:

That happens on virtually every cruise we have been on since the restart. We have actually taken advantage of it on 1-2 occasions.

When and where do they offer this option? Do you get a call or personally go up to the desk and ask if there are any available cabins for the following cruise?