Anyone watching the Peregrine Falcons in a nest on the rooftop at 367 Collins St., Melbourne?

2 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

Peregrine Falcons are in a nest on the rooftop at 367 Collins St., Melbourne.

They hatch their chicks from August.  

367collins.mirvac.com

The eggs have hatched but it doesn't look like all 4 have survived. We watch them every year.

There has been a problem with the pair this year - mother is a young gal and the dad was an older bird. Unfortunately another male has arrived and either chased him off or killed him. The new male is not good at helping mum with food etc like the old one was. 

Guess that's just part of the circle of life though.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, possum52 said:

There were certainly four chicks being fed when I looked earlier.

Screenshot 2022-10-10 08.26.35.png

Screenshot 2022-10-10 08.30.11.png

How gorgeous.  It is amazing they don't fall off.  There was a baby bird on Lord Howe Island which was left on a branch when its mother went to get food.  No nest, just a branch.  It used to fall off and I used to pick it up and put it back on the branch.  Locals didn't worry.  

1 hour ago, possum52 said:

There were certainly four chicks being fed when I looked earlier.

Screenshot 2022-10-10 08.26.35.png

Screenshot 2022-10-10 08.30.11.png

That big lump the mother has in her claw is like the one the father had in its claw when it returned late in the afternoon yesterday. Would I be right in thinking it's a rat or a mouse?

The mother brought an dead/dying bird back for them to eat (mynah?). I was on the phone while I was watching so wasn't watching as closelyt as I should have been but then she flew away with it - maybe to have her share in peace?

I think it's the father back now, empty beaked. He just stands there looking at the chicks, not protecting them the way the mother does. As already commented, he's not yet up to the fathering game.

1 hour ago, LittleFish1976 said:

The mother brought an dead/dying bird back for them to eat (mynah?). I was on the phone while I was watching so wasn't watching as closelyt as I should have been but then she flew away with it - maybe to have her share in peace?

I think it's the father back now, empty beaked. He just stands there looking at the chicks, not protecting them the way the mother does. As already commented, he's not yet up to the fathering game.

My daughter says watching is addictive!

4 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

do they eat more at a certain time, eg afternoon?

Marion, they seem to be being fed all the time. I guess it depends what their parents bring back for them.If you are on Facebook, the page I mentioned above has some interesting information.