Carmel Limo Service

reps23

We used Carmel Limo Services from La Guardia Airport to Brooklyn Cruise Terminal on October 1, 2022, and they were fine with no problems. Since it worked out so well, I booked them to pick us up at the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal on October 8 after our cruise on the Enchanted Princess.  I received a confirmation for that booking.

Followed their instructions to call after we had our luggage, and they would be there in 15 minutes.  The gentlemen at Carmel told me that our reservation was cancelled, and we would receive a refund as they had no driver for Brooklyn pick up.  I was furious as I let them know they should have sent me an email or called and informed us of the cancellation.  Of course, for some reason my app for Uber didn't work and we ended up taking a taxi to LaGuardia.  The taxi drivers make up their own prices but we had no choice as our plane was at 1 p.m. and we were the last ones called to leave the ship.

Now Carmel is trying to send me a discount on a future booking, but I will never use that company again. This is just a warning.

Phyllis

• Like 1

This sort of lapse seems to be happening recently - with Uber, someone waiting for a pick up to get to JFK for a flight was notified at the last minute that no driver was available.  He had to book a high end/high price airport Limo service.

With Amazon and UPS et al doing so much hiring, the pool of gig drivers which Uber and comparable providers rely upon is shrinking.   It may signal the (at least temporary end) of reliable inexpensive car service.

On 10/9/2022 at 4:28 PM, reps23 said:

The taxi drivers make up their own prices but we had no choice as our plane was at 1 p.m. and we were the last ones called to leave the ship.

This makes no sense. Taxi rates within the city of New York are regulated and enforced by the Taxi and Limousine Commission. If the taxi driver refuses to accept payment based on the meter, do not pay the amount demanded. There are many police at LaGuardia Airport, and I would expect any of them would readily intervene for this type of unlawful activity.

As to Carmel, as far as I can tell, it makes no promises about anything. It appears not to provide any transportation itself; it merely makes reservations with car owners. Others can provide more details on Carmel (its website says very little).

• Like 1

We picked a taxi from the taxi line and i can't remember if it was green or yellow but there was a meter.  There were 4 of us with 4 pieces of luggage and 2 carry ons.  One cab driver in line quoted $150 and I refused.  Then another driver said you have 4 people and no one will take you so you will need 2 cabs which would have been fine and I should have said use a meter.

We wanted to make sure we got to the airport and one cab driver said $100 for all four.  I knew it was  too much but my BIL said just take it.  When we got to the airport, I gave the guy $100 with no tip as I know we paid too much and he said what no tip.  No one else would have taken you. My husband felt bad and gave hi $10.00.  So this is fair warning when you leave the cruise port, just know what you should pay and call an uber or lyft if possible.  A couple waiting in the taxi liine called uber and they were there within 10 minutes and cost $60.00 to LGA.

17 hours ago, GTJ said:

This makes no sense. Taxi rates within the city of New York are regulated and enforced by the Taxi and Limousine Commission. If the taxi driver refuses to accept payment based on the meter, do not pay the amount demanded. There are many police at LaGuardia Airport, and I would expect any of them would readily intervene for this type of unlawful activity.

As to Carmel, as far as I can tell, it makes no promises about anything. It appears not to provide any transportation itself; it merely makes reservations with car owners. Others can provide more details on Carmel (its website says very little).

Well said , I would just get in the taxi , never tell them where until your in . It’s also good to have Lyft app besides Uber .

• Like 1

3 hours ago, reps23 said:

[A]nother driver said you have 4 people and no one will take you so you will need 2 cabs which would have been fine and I should have said use a meter. We wanted to make sure we got to the airport and one cab driver said $100 for all four. I knew it was  too much but my BIL said just take it. When we got to the airport, I gave the guy $100 . . . .

You got cheated twice. First, demanding an unauthorized amount for transportation to LaGuardia Airport. I would have refused paying anything more than the amount shown on the meter . . . which might possibly have been zero if the driver did not activate the meter . . . any "contract" to pay $100 would be unenforceable. Any problem, call the police. Second, paying for a second taxi. All taxis carry at least four passengers, and some taxis carry five passengers (and an additional passenger under age 7 carried on the lap of an adult seated in the rear. 35 RCNY §54-15(g). If there is no room in the back seat, then one passenger must be permitted to travel in the front seat alongside the driver. 35 RCNY §54-15(h). Any problem, call the police.

50 minutes ago, reps23 said:

Lesson learned. You are so right but every taxi that pulled up only quoted prices and the one we took was the lowest at $100 for 4.

Lesson: Don't ask for a "quote." Just get in, then provide the destination once inside. If the driver refuses to open the front door for a fourth passenger, then have that fourth person physically block the taxi from moving, and absence compliance call the police. Too many taxi drivers are willing to prey upon visitors to our city who are intimidated or otherwise unwilling to call the police.

• Like 1

You are so right.  We won't be so stupid next time and I come from Chicago.  But my BIL was getting nervous that we wouldn't get to airport in time for flight.

Glad I posted warning about cab drivers and Carmel Limo service for Brooklyn Cruise Port.