Cabo in January - can you see whales from the cruise ship?

kj_connections

My cruise ship visits Cabo on Jan 23, 2023.  Will I be able to see whales from the cruise ship or should I book an excursion?  Also what kind of whale watching excursion would be good?  small ship that fits max 18ppl vs. 2 decker catamaran vs. tall ship pirate adventure?  

• Like 1

You may see them from the ship but they will mostly be at a distance. To get closer there are different options. Everything from a small high speed boat like Ocean Riders, to a larger catamaran like Pez Gato (our favorite), To a private party/small group sail boat charter. I took this picture on the Pez Gato catamaran in Feb 2008.

757943351_CaboVacation-Feb09-162008-WhaleWatchingPezGato027.thumb.jpg.cf9c0438702e7c1c8e2af60b6ad835f0.jpg

This is a high speed Ocean Rider boat. You sit in a padded saddle. Did this in March 2007.

1480585751_CaboVacation-Feb09-162008-WhaleWatchingPezGato054.thumb.jpg.96d52423b7756a5272c637f0ef0b9c18.jpg

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/6/2022 at 11:45 PM, Ashland said:

We cruised the Mexican Riviera this past January...saw one from a distance. Also just did the Panama Canal San Pedro to Tampa last month...saw no whales.

Late January for me. I was planning just a lazy taxi to the arch and back to the beach for food and shopping. Am I missing out on a prime time to see whales?

On 11/6/2022 at 10:45 PM, Ashland said:

We cruised the Mexican Riviera this past January...saw one from a distance. Also just did the Panama Canal San Pedro to Tampa last month...saw no whales.

October is not the time to see whales on the Mexican Rivera. And for January,  how actively were you looking? You should have seen a good number.

7 hours ago, New2cruise2022 said:

Late January for me. I was planning just a lazy taxi to the arch and back to the beach for food and shopping. Am I missing out on a prime time to see whales?

January is a good time, if you are actively looking. But doing mostly land focused and based activities won't get a lot of whales. 

Just now, CruiserBruce said:

January is a good time, if you are actively looking. But doing mostly land focused and based activities won't get a lot of whales. 

That is why I ask. I was planning a lazy day in port. But if the whales are active and easily seen on a tour, I might rethink my plans. 

On 11/19/2022 at 12:52 PM, New2cruise2022 said:

Look at the picture I posted earlier in this thread. I took that picture in early Feb 2008 while on board the catamaran Pez Gato.

Edited by SDPadreFan

• 4 weeks later...

Heck, we saw one less than 100 yards from the ship in July after leaving Catalina.  So seeing a whale can be anytime.  This year they have been slow getting to the breeding grounds, but I have seen local reports they are currently there and active.  The small boat would be my choice as they can get up close enough to let you pet the whale.  The breeding cove at Guerrero Negro is world renown for the mama whales pushing their babies up to the boats for a rub.  

52 minutes ago, ATSEAMYLIFE said:

Heck, we saw one less than 100 yards from the ship in July after leaving Catalina.  So seeing a whale can be anytime.  This year they have been slow getting to the breeding grounds, but I have seen local reports they are currently there and active.  The small boat would be my choice as they can get up close enough to let you pet the whale.  The breeding cove at Guerrero Negro is world renown for the mama whales pushing their babies up to the boats for a rub.  

Depends on the species of whale.