Cruising to Cozumel in January

wags111

We are gifting the kids/grandkids a cruise for Christmas. Cruising middle of January. We typically cruise in the summer as we are warm weather peeps! I dont know what to expect weather wise in January..... What clothes to pack, will we be able to swim.... Have you cruised in January? 

The average high temp in Cozumel for January is 81 degrees.  The average low is 69 degrees.

I have never been cool or cold on a Caribbean cruise sailing in winter months. I've been on lots of them and many Western Caribbean ones.   Lots of people swim.  I don't know what your tolerances are, however. 

8 minutes ago, wags111 said:

We live in Tennessee..... January = cold thoughts for us LOL 

We have sailed many. many times in the winter months (5 NYE cruises and 1 coming up) and found that the weather has always been perfect!

Enjoy your cruise!

We have been out of N.O. three times in January and are going this next year as well.  The temps in Cozumel will be good.  We typically dress like we would in the late Spring or Fall those days (shorts and such.)  Depending on where you are going out of, it may be cooler sea days, especially at night.  Going out of N.O. it is usually pretty cool that first night and last night.  We take longer pants for those nights.  Last time the first sea day was nice, so we were wearing shorts that day.  However, on the last sea day headed back to N.O., there was a front coming through and it was windy and cool.

• Like 1

Dec-Feb you can have El Norte conditions... which is a northern wind that makes it very cold, lots of heavy wave action, and boats not going out for excursions.  Water is too rough to swim.  It doesn't happen the whole time, but it does happen and when El Norte arrives it usually lasts 2-3 days.  

We had a January 10, 2010, cruise to Grand Cayman and Cozumel.

Grand Cayman was sunny and warm.

When we left Tampa, it was snowing.

When we got down to Cozumel it was in the 60's, so the pools were out, but the Hot Tubs felt like pool temps.

Probably 90% chance you get the usual 81 degree temps.

10% chance you get a freak cold snap and you need to pivot.

We love cruising in January due to the great rates.

January is such a big month for cruising to Cozumel. We have been there in December and January. Great sunny days with warm temps in the high 70's. Granted as others posted, weather conditions can change anywhere. I would dress for a warm day but keep sweatshirts or sweaters in mind. The ships can also be chilly-more so than some of the ports.

So-shorts, sandals, light shirts with available layers of sweats or a sweater should do fine.

Just in case, one pair of long pants for all cruisers with sneakers.

Have fun!

• Like 2