Laundry Service for Platinum

ober134

On 11/5/2022 at 3:19 PM, orimeep said:

I’m also going to be newly Platinum on my next cruise - which is 8 days (which is 3  bags of laundry). Do I need to send all 3 bags at once or can I send 1 bag 3 different times?

Sure, spread them out over several days.  We typically do a bag every 2-3.  I've never run out of 'eligibility'.  Here's a tip.  Never do a bag on the last full day of the cruise.  That's simply too late to get turnaround before you disembark.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, CruisingAgain said:

I love the laundry service and use it every cruise.  Allows my husband and I to share one 40 pound suitcase for the cruise and not pay the airline more to fly our bags than ourselves.  There is no unexpected shrinkage if you have washed your clothes at home in hot water a few times to check for shrinkage. I do not send whites - just don't have much white that needs to be washed. I do not send anything expensive or really delicate - hand wash if necessary.

Dont say shrinkage , please

44B10F33-90CA-4C12-AB49-351AFFE4FB91.jpeg

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, jsglow said:

Sure, spread them out over several days.  We typically do a bag every 2-3.  I've never run out of 'eligibility'.  Here's a tip.  Never do a bag on the last full day of the cruise.  That's simply too late to get turnaround before you disembark.

Thanks for the tip! 🙂

On 10/29/2022 at 11:08 AM, pjhootch said:

Edited:  NO SCENT.  None that I can detect.  I have a pretty severe allergy to scents and I have never had an issue with any scent coming back on the laundry.   

Thank you for this info! Makes me feel better about using the service. I have to at least try it, right!

• Like 1

On 11/3/2022 at 9:44 AM, nlktx49 said:

I think that's not true. How would they sort out clothes if they put several people's in one bag? And why would they use hot water when it would be an extra expense? The laundry service is probably my favorite plus of being Platinum. Same day service, the clothes are folded so nicely they look like they've been ironed. Nothing has ever been damaged or stained. First we just used it for my husband's stuff, now use it for mine, too. I wouldn't put a fancy top in, but everything else is fine. I keep seeing this about the hot water and putting clothes all together - I think this is from people who have never used the laundry service. Like people who denigrate Carnival when they've never cruised on it.

Platinum cruiser with Carnival for over 10 years.  Your laundry is put in your own mesh bag.  They then take your bag and combine it with another dozen or so maybe more mesh bags and put all of them in an industrial sized washer and do your wash in hot water and then dry them all in another large industrial sized dryer.  Have almost 25 cruises on Carnival and almost 50 overall. Have personal experience with this and because of shrinkage with a nice shirt that was my DH's, we have not used the perk for years.  This is our personal experience with the perk.  Others have reported the same as us while many others enjoy the perk and their clothes come back unscathed. 

Just reporting the facts.

2 minutes ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

Platinum cruiser with Carnival for over 10 years.  Your laundry is put in your own mesh bag.  They then take your bag and combine it with another dozen or so maybe more mesh bags and put all of them in an industrial sized washer and do your wash in hot water and then dry them all in another large industrial sized dryer.  Have almost 25 cruises on Carnival and almost 50 overall. Have personal experience with this and because of shrinkage with a nice shirt that was my DH's, we have not used the perk for years.  This is our personal experience with the perk.  Others have reported the same as us while many others enjoy the perk and their clothes come back unscathed. 

Just reporting the facts.

We have never sent any nice clothes to the laundry - just socks, underwear, t-shirts, polos, and shorts. Everything has come back just fine. We use the laundry service to cut down on the amount of clothes we need to pack, and as a result we can go on a 2-week cruise with just carry-on luggage. 

• Like 2

On 10/28/2022 at 2:54 PM, Tennessee Rose said:

From the responses, I realize I should have been more clear with my question and laundry thoughts. I completely understand/know they use large commercial machines and wash multiple people's clothing bags together. What I SHOULD have asked is---how strong is the scent from detergent on your returned clothes? I'm guessing they do use detergent that has at least some scent, and everything is washed using that one detergent.

Just a whine!----I WISH they would choose to use perfume/dye free detergents on everyone's laundry. I think I'm probably not the only one who struggles when breathing where scented products have been used. Also, any clothing that has a tight fitting area (waistbands, armholes, etc) causes me to get big, red, itchy welts while wearing. I'm beginning to re-think whether free laundry is actually a "perk" for me! My cabin-mate may end up getting to use it!  Thank you all for your insights.

I'm sensitive to scents, especially in clothes. I have never detected the slightest scent in the laundry that's returned. The free laundry is my favorite Platinum perk. I doubt the clothes are washed in hot water - that would be more costly than cold. Same with over-drying. It's mostly my husband's clothes - underwear, socks, jeans and shorts - that are laundered. Sometimes my capris. I certainly wouldn't put anything delicate in there.

The clothes are folded so nicely it's almost like they've been ironed. I've never had anything shrunk or stained. On our cruise last week the clothes were still warm when I took them out of the bag.

• Like 2

I used the perk for the first time on the Mardi Gras and they damaged a light orange blouse that I was going to use for Halloween. I had taken out the tags and tried it on before I sent it but it was too wrinkled. The laundry came back late and the blouse was in the middle. When I unfolded it I saw stains on one of the sleeves and little holes. From now on I will only send underwear, socks and dark items like jeans.

I've had three issues with the laundry service:

1)  I have had whites (T-shirts, socks and underwear) come back a little gray, not bright white.  Not great, but still acceptable to use during the cruise.  Everything came out nice and bright first time they were washed again after we got home, so it's not really deeply stained, and defiantly not ruined.  I wouldn't take a chance with a white dress shirt, or my wife's delicate white items

2)  Many items come back badly wrinkled.  I can usually smoothen most of the wrinkles out or take it the laundry room and iron it.

3) Sometimes clothes come back with a slight funky odor, especially when I first open the bag.  Any smell is gone by the next morning after the cloths hang in the closet overnight.

I have probably sent out about 15 bags over the years and overall, it's a nice perk to have.

Edited by Old Fart Cruisers

We've only used this perk for our beach towels (we bring our own lightweight towels for shore excursions because the Carnival towels are heavy and take up a lot of space in in our lug-around-all-day-on-shore beach bags), DH's cargo pants, swim trunks, and socks.  I would never trust any even slightly delicate items (which includes everything I wear on a cruise) to the Carnival laundry service. Also, I'm a little 'icked out' by my laundry being washed with that of strangers.🤢  But I recognise this is a personal hang-up of mine and many others love this perk.  Although I think free laundry is far from the best VIFP perk I'm given, I'm still grateful to have it and happy for all of you who love it.🙂