Covid protocol email

topnole

Just got an email saying no test needed if vaccinated and for 11 and under no test needed regardless.  Is this a change or has this been the new normal.  The context was for my cruise in December.   

My kids will be happy to avoid the nasal swab!!   

I got the same email.  It doesn't change anything for us so I didn't really notice the age change.  

But, this part isn't worded very well:  "Unvaccinated guests aged 12 and older must present a negative COVID-19 test result taken within 3 days of our sail date. Fully vaccinated guests and guests ages 11 and younger are exempt from this test."

What about unvaccinated under 12?   It kind of ignores that specific group, although obviously they have to be tested.  The wording could be a lot better.

5 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

It was 5+, now it's 12+

That’s what I thought.  Thanks.  Great news for my daughter who is over 5 but under 12.  Now none of us need to test apparently since the wife and I are vaccinated and the kids all under 22.  

2 minutes ago, BND said:

I got the same email.  It doesn't change anything for us so I didn't really notice the age change.  

But, this part isn't worded very well:  "Unvaccinated guests aged 12 and older must present a negative COVID-19 test result taken within 3 days of our sail date. Fully vaccinated guests and guests ages 11 and younger are exempt from this test."

What about unvaccinated under 12?   It kind of ignores that specific group, although obviously they have to be tested.  The wording could be a lot better.

It is very poorly worded.  I’m sure it will get cleaned up soon after someone from corporate proofs it.   

• Haha 2

25 minutes ago, BND said:

That's just it. Unvaccinated under 12 don't need tested

The FAQ page spells it out more explicitly

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/will-i-have-to-take-a-test-before-i-cruise

• Vaccinated guests do not need to take a test for sailings of 9 nights or fewer. On sailings of 10 nights or longer, fully vaccinated guests age 12 and older will need to bring a negative test result for a COVID-19 test.
  • Guests age 12 and up who are not vaccinated have three days to take a test before their cruise, regardless the duration of the cruise.

• Guests under the age of 12, do not need to take a test prior to cruising.

What does vaccinated mean. Initial shot? Initial shot +second shot +booster ++booster +++booster. 

I’m a +++booster. Me and my triple masked mouth will be in the British pub.I’ll be smiling at you, but you’ll never know. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, sullyair said:

What does vaccinated mean. Initial shot? Initial shot +second shot +booster ++booster +++booster. 

I’m a +++booster. Me and my triple masked mouth will be in the British pub.I’ll be smiling at you, but you’ll never know. 

For Royal, "full vaccinated" means the 2 initial shots or one from J&J.  No boosters required.  Now, some countries require more but you'd have to look that up.  I don't think any Caribbean islands/countries require boosters, but I haven't checked each and every one of the.  

Please note: A guest is considered fully vaccinated 14 days after the required number of doses in their vaccine series have been fully administered (e.g. 2 shots of Pfizer, Moderna, AstraZeneca, etc., or 1 shot of Johnson & Johnson). Vaccines must be approved for use by the WHO or U.S. FDA, with the exception of CanSino.

Ok totally confused by RCCL, booked a test for sailing this Monday on Anthem, followed what was on RCCL web site yesterday and their health protocols, anybody fully vaccinated on a 10 plus day cruise needs to get a negative administered test 3 days before departure, so booked for me and my wife. This morning Get an email stating this "All guests ages 5 and older must present negative Covid Test result taken within 48 hours prior to sailing. Went onto the RCCL web site and noticed they had indeed changed their health protocols. For transatlantic cruises, all guests age 5 and older must bring a negative test result for a covid 19 test taken with in 2 days before boarding day. Then another email appeared, it says As a reminder, all guests ages 12 and older will need to provide a negative Covid test result upon arrival to the terminal.Guests who are up to date must test within 3 days prior to boarding day. One could ask do they know what their own protocols are, the RCCL web site at time of writing still says 48 hours, ae we chant to football refs over in the UK, you don't know what you are doing

Here is what it says today on my RCCL page.

All guests 5 and older are required to show proof of a negative COVID-19 test result from a supervised (in-person or via telehealth) test taken no more than 2 days prior to sailing. Proof of a negative test can be the printed or digital results. Unsupervised self-tests will not be accepted.

This is what it says about Vaccinations.

All guests 5 and older must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 with the final dose given at least 14 days before sailing (not including your sail day). Vaccine boosters are encouraged. Guests age 1 to 4, regardless of vaccination status, can join our transatlantic sailings.

2 hours ago, jdavies1948 said:

Ok totally confused by RCCL, booked a test for sailing this Monday on Anthem, followed what was on RCCL web site yesterday and their health protocols, anybody fully vaccinated on a 10 plus day cruise needs to get a negative administered test 3 days before departure, so booked for me and my wife. 

Why are you getting an administered test?

The email I got for our 12 night says:

Accepted Tests
Guests can take advantage of in-person, telehealth, and self-swab tests. This includes unsupervised testing. Proof of a negative test can be the printed or digital results, a clear photo of your self-test result, or your actual self-test in hand. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, SRF said:

Accepted Tests
Guests can take advantage of in-person, telehealth, and self-swab tests. This includes unsupervised testing. Proof of a negative test can be the printed or digital results, a clear photo of your self-test result, or your actual self-test in hand. 

This is what I got below which is relevant for us leaving on the Anthem on Monday. I will take them at their word, print out the email and show them the negative NHS test they stated would be suitable.

As a reminder, all guests ages 12 and older will need to provide a negative COVID-19 test result upon arrival to the terminal. Guests who are up-to-date must test within the 3 days prior to our boarding day. Guests who are unvaccinated or not up-to-date will need to complete either an antigen test in 24 hours prior to boarding or a PCR test 72 hours prior to boarding. At home, unsupervised lateral flow tests - such as those provided by the NHS or other healthcare providers are now accepted for your sailing! Learn more about our requirements at www.RoyalCaribbean.com/health.  

Sorry, missed you were UK.

But, it does say:

At home, unsupervised lateral flow tests - such as those provided by the NHS or other healthcare providers are now accepted for your sailing

1 hour ago, SRF said:

Accepted Tests

It depends on itinerary.  Most cruises out of US have what you posted.  TA's and Bermuda cruises have what others have posted.  That's where the confusion is.  My email says what yours does as we're doing a closed loop out of PC.  

Edited by BND

14 hours ago, BND said:

They mention under 12.  I bolded above.  I understand it.

Edited by moposh

3 hours ago, jdavies1948 said:

Ok totally confused by RCCL, booked a test for sailing this Monday on Anthem, followed what was on RCCL web site yesterday and their health protocols, anybody fully vaccinated on a 10 plus day cruise needs to get a negative administered test 3 days before departure, so booked for me and my wife. This morning Get an email stating this "All guests ages 5 and older must present negative Covid Test result taken within 48 hours prior to sailing. Went onto the RCCL web site and noticed they had indeed changed their health protocols. For transatlantic cruises, all guests age 5 and older must bring a negative test result for a covid 19 test taken with in 2 days before boarding day. Then another email appeared, it says As a reminder, all guests ages 12 and older will need to provide a negative Covid test result upon arrival to the terminal.Guests who are up to date must test within 3 days prior to boarding day. One could ask do they know what their own protocols are, the RCCL web site at time of writing still says 48 hours, ae we chant to football refs over in the UK, you don't know what you are doing

The latest email says must be supervised test taken no earlier than Saturday for Monday’s sailing. I also have the conflicting emails but I’m not about to argue with them at the port. Going with the most restrictive protocol. Not likely to book another RCCL cruise until they get their sh*t together. 

4 minutes ago, moposh said:

They mention under 12.  I bolded above.  I understand it.

What they don't mention is UNVACCINATED under 12.  What they mention is vaccinated under 12. What about guests over 12 who are vaccinated?

The wording sucks.

And, here's what the RCI website says which is much clearer:

For Cruises from North America and the Caribbean (U.S., Puerto Rico, Canada, and Barbados)

• Vaccinated guests do not need to take a test for sailings of 9 nights or fewer. On sailings of 10 nights or longer, fully vaccinated guests age 12 and older will need to bring a negative test result for a COVID-19 test within 3 days before boarding day.
  • Guests age 12 and up who are not vaccinated have 3 days to take a test before their cruise, regardless the duration of the cruise.

• Guests under the age of 12, do not need to take a test prior to cruising.

Required testing can be completed using any type of PCR or antigen COVID-19 test. It can be professionally proctored at your doctor or drugstore, or it can be a test you administer to yourself at home without supervision.

Tests must be arranged on your own and are at your own expense.

Please note: A guest is considered fully vaccinated 14 days after the required number of doses in their vaccine series have been fully administered (e.g. 2 shots of Pfizer, Moderna, AstraZeneca, etc., or 1 shot of Johnson & Johnson). Vaccines must be approved for use by the WHO or U.S. FDA, with the exception of CanSino.

2 minutes ago, BND said:

What they don't mention is UNVACCINATED under 12.  What they mention is vaccinated under 12. What about guests over 12 who are vaccinated?

The wording sucks.

They do mention unvaccinated under 12.  Those vaccinated (this includes all age groups) AND those  11 and under (unvaccinated or vaccinated) are exempt. Maybe they could have written it differently, but it covers everyone.  

• Like 1

And, this is what the email I got says:

spacer
spacer
Royal Caribbean
spacer
spacer
U.S. & Canada Departures 9‐Nights or less

Below find our updated protocols for U.S and Canada departures that are 9 nights or less — excluding sailings to Bermuda. Should there be any changes, we are committed to keeping you informed.

Vaccination Recommended
If eligible, we recommend that guests joining us be fully vaccinated and boostered, against COVID‐19.

While vaccination is not required, we kindly ask you disclose your status during check-in to ensure we maintain a highly vaccinated onboard population.

Testing
Pre-cruise
Unvaccinated guests aged 12 and older must present a negative COVID-19 test result taken within 3 days of our sail date. Fully vaccinated guests and guests ages 11 and younger are exempt from this test.

Accepted Tests
Guests can take advantage of in-person, telehealth, and self-swab tests. This includes unsupervised testing. Proof of a negative test can be the printed or digital results, a clear photo of your self-test result, or your actual self-test in hand. To learn more about our accepted tests, visit our FAQ.