Scared of VRBO....

Cruisesfun65

We're cruising out of POM next July ans staying 4 nights pre cruise. Since the nicer hotels are crazy expensive I started looking at VRBO listings. 

I'm finding a modern looking apartment in Brickell/downtown but I'm scared to pull the trigger.

Does anyone here have positive experience to share about VRBO properties?

Have rented lots of times on VRBO.  Never had an issue and always been happy.  Just look at the pictures and reviews very carefully.  Send questions to the owner and see how they respond.  For 4 nights I'd certainly consider the option if the price including all the fees was right.

• Thanks 1

We've experienced VRBO and AirBnB accommodations in the US (Key West, tonight and tomorrow in Greensboro NC, and in Tuscany and Rome) without any issues.  Our son has used VRBO and AirBnB all around the country for years. 

Where we would never use them is South Florida especially in an apartment or condo building. Apartment management in general frowns on tenants sub-leasing their apartments for any length of time without permission.  Most condos have strict rental regulations that owners agree to before settlement.  For example, in our building just north of Fort Lauderdale, the owner is allowed to rent once a year for a minimum of 3 months.  That is a very common regulation. That means only 1 tenant in a calendar year whether they rent for 3 months or longer.  Owners are fined if they disobey the regulations; renters can be denied access upon arrival or thrown out after unpacking.

To minimize your risk at least somewhat, look for units that have lots of excellent detailed reviews and are offered by an experienced host (IIRC titled premier or super hosts).  Narrow down your choices and then correspond with them.  Get as much information as you can about the neighborhood (generally very important but not an issue with Brickell I would think), and the building's rental policies. I would ask point blank about the building's rental regulations.

Our Cruise Critic host, Carolyn, may chime in.  She lived in Brickell for a number of years and I know she has commented on AirBnB/VRBO rentals before.

• Thanks 1

Many are the negative reviews and comments of Airbnb and VRBO.  They are both fairly new on the scene of vacation properties.  And the media has reason to report on them.  Sadly the media also likes to amplify anything they feel will attract more readers or views.  It pays the bills.

It bears a comment that the horror stories of hotels, whether chain or private, are also fairly numerous.  Still, that industry is pretty mature and does not attract the media hype/attention of the Airbnb and VRBO type.

We have never had a bad Uber experience, never had a bad Airbnb experience, never have used VRBO.  But to read the media reports you would think that using these services is like playing Russian roulette.  I would say "no more so than using traditional vacation properties".

Buyer beware is always the watchword.

My personal recommendation would be to take note of anything that Chris Elliott has to say about these services.  http://www.elliott.org

• Thanks 1

We have used VRBO many times without problems. Remember, these are individual owners, not an entire company, and each experience may be different. Read the reviews before deciding. We find that if the majority are good, and well written, the rental is usually just fine. You may find one or two who were unhappy (you can't please everyone and some just scam looking for their money back) but if most are good, you should be good to go. Just our experience, YMMV.

We use VRBO frequently.  You have to read the reviews and only rent properties with good, detailed reviews.  Then communicate with the host - ask questions, see how they respond. 

The issue mentioned up thread of hosts renting when they shouldn't is real.  We rented  a place over on Siesta Key where the access instructions mentioned "don't talk to the onsite management" and as it turns out the people who rented right after us were thrown out mid-stay (so we learned from their very negative review after the fact).  That's why its important to send mail to the hosts and ask them lots of questions, you can usually get a sense for who you are dealing with.  If it doesn't "feel" right, it probably isn't.