Questions re: Nieuw Statendam Retreat cabanas (or any other ship's Retreat cabanas)

Euby

I'm thinking of splurging on getting myself a Retreat cabana on the Nieuw Statendam.  I have done a few searches already online and found some info from 2018 in regard to pricing, amenities and locations.  However, since that info is from "pre-covid" times, I just wonder whether all of the amenities are still offered.

Could someone who has been on the NS within the past year confirm if all of these amenities are still offered?  If they are, can you answer any questions that I put next to them?  Also, are there hours that cabana is only open during, i.e. 9am-6pm?  If you book as a solo person, do you get the same number of amenities as 2 people (since you are paying the same as they would)?

The following amenities are included with your cabana rental:
■ Bathrobes & slippers  (are the bathrobes any different from what is in your cabin?)
■ Warm and cold towels
■ Handheld fans  (what type? electric, folding-style, or southern-church style paperboard on a stick?)
■ Evian Brumisateur® spray  (is this a bottle a day or just one time?)
■ Chilled bottled water setup  (is this the water in a can or "fancy" water?  is it refreshed throughout the day?)
■ Fruit basket  (can you request particular types of fruit?)
■ Healthy breakfast and lunch choices available at the Cabana Club and Retreat  (is there a menu?  what if you want something else; like from the Lido, but aren't sure what is available?)
■ Ice cream in the mid-afternoon  (is it a pre-packaged ice cream bar?  or something from Gelato?  or ice-cream from Lido?  can you select your flavor?)
■ Chocolate-dipped strawberries, frozen grapes and a glass of sparkling wine in the late afternoon  (are there alternatives like a cheese plate, if you don't like strawberries or sparkling wine?  what if you have the beverage package from Have-It-All?)
■ 20% savings on Signature Services at the Greenhouse Spa & Salon on port days

Thanks for any info that you may be able to share.  It'll help me to decide whether or not to book it.

49 minutes ago, Euby said:

I'm thinking of splurging on getting myself a Retreat cabana on the Nieuw Statendam.  I have done a few searches already online and found some info from 2018 in regard to pricing, amenities and locations.  However, since that info is from "pre-covid" times, I just wonder whether all of the amenities are still offered.

Could someone who has been on the NS within the past year confirm if all of these amenities are still offered?  If they are, can you answer any questions that I put next to them?  Also, are there hours that cabana is only open during, i.e. 9am-6pm?  If you book as a solo person, do you get the same number of amenities as 2 people (since you are paying the same as they would)?

The following amenities are included with your cabana rental:
■ Bathrobes & slippers  (are the bathrobes any different from what is in your cabin?)they are different, slippers aren’t great just regular 
■ Warm and cold towels - occasionally see cold towels
■ Handheld fans  (what type? electric, folding-style, or southern-church style paperboard on a stick?)nope, haven’t seen these in ages
■ Evian Brumisateur® spray  (is this a bottle a day or just one time?)haven’t seen these in a while 
■ Chilled bottled water setup  (is this the water in a can or "fancy" water?  is it refreshed throughout the day?)it’s the glass bottles one litre size.  You will get two.  
■ Fruit basket  (can you request particular types of fruit?)no basket but they will get you fruit.  It’s pretty standard apples, oranges banana.  I’ve asked for kiwi and got it once 
■ Healthy breakfast and lunch choices available at the Cabana Club and Retreat  (is there a menu?  what if you want something else; like from the Lido, but aren't sure what is available?)usually food from the lido, ny pizza, dive in.  I don’t eat there myself 
■ Ice cream in the mid-afternoon  (is it a pre-packaged ice cream bar?  or something from Gelato?  or ice-cream from Lido?  can you select your flavor?)I’ve never seen ice cream
■ Chocolate-dipped strawberries, frozen grapes and a glass of sparkling wine in the late afternoon  (are there alternatives like a cheese plate, if you don't like strawberries or sparkling wine?  what if you have the beverage package from Have-It-All?). They will get you beverages.  You can ask about a cheese late.  I can’t eat strawberries so I just take a pass
■ 20% savings on Signature Services at the Greenhouse Spa & Salon on port days do know 

Thanks for any info that you may be able to share.  It'll help me to decide whether or not to book it.

I haven’t been on the n statendam in a year but I have been on the koningsdam.  I noticed no difference between ships.  Answers are above in the body of your text.

• Like 1

The hours are typically 9-5, and the cabana attendants have other assignments after 5. But one will usually be there before 9 setting up, and will be available for your needs.

As mentioned, the amenities seem to come and go. You can ask about something you would like but haven't seen, and they will do their best to get it for you, if available. The cabana attendants will take very good care of you.

If you are solo, don't worry about getting your money's worth. The Retreat service level is very high...

• Like 2

We were on Nieuw Statendam last December and we have been in a cabana every December since 2010. Each experience is a little different and we don’t ever expect everything on the list. The things that are consistent throughout the years are the strawberries, grapes, sparkling wine, cold towels, water throughout the day and always, always excellent, friendly, attentive service. The attendants will show you the lido menu and you can order whatever you want for lunch. They will get it for you. They will get you drinks as well. We have always had a great experience and wish you the same. Besides outdoor showers, NS also has a small hot tub. We didn’t use it much but it’s better than the giant green bunny on Konnigsdam!

• Like 2

We got the small battery powered electric fan after we asked.  They had to go look, but managed to find some -   This is not the exact fan, but similar.

There isn't any special Cabana Food Menu - But they will get you anything from any restaurant on the ship that is currently open.    They will bring you cheese instead of strawberries.   They will get you any beverage on the ship and charge your card or use your HIA as appropriate.   

They will get you ice cream and charge your room if it is not  free.

Anything that is available on the ship they will go get and bring to you.

image.png.1d4c11299e166415950f8525b5f783ea.png

Edited by The-Inside-Cabin
  • Like 1

I used to ask for the Evian misters and they told me there wasn’t any on the ship.  I was exiting the ship and I noticed the water guy by the gangway had them. Busted.  I mentioned it and amazingly they were able to find one for me 😏.  I don’t ask for them now because I notice that they stain my light clothes.

I seem to recall we got dove bars once - but I can't remember now.  

Strawberries and Champagne are a sure thing......Getting food delivered - sure thing - 

Fruit basket - sure thing 

Chilled water - sure thing

Cold Towels - sure thing - hot towels - probably

Everything else - maybe

• Like 2

3 hours ago, The-Inside-Cabin said:

I seem to recall we got dove bars once - but I can't remember now.  

Strawberries and Champagne are a sure thing......Getting food delivered - sure thing - 

Fruit basket - sure thing 

Chilled water - sure thing

Cold Towels - sure thing - hot towels - probably

Everything else - maybe

I was not able to get a fruit basket on the koningsdam.  Which ship were you able to get the basket on and has this been since the start up?  

1 hour ago, rickcherryb said:

We will also be sailing on the Nieuw Statendam and are interested in the Retreat Cabana for a day. Does anyone have the current cost? Thanks

Please see the attached link.  If they are all rented for the cruise you won’t be able to do a daily rental.

https://rogerjett-photography.com/here/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/HAL-Cabanas.pdf

Pro Tip:

Normally, I say that bringing coolers is tacky but brining a small cooler on wheels to the Retreat Cabanas is a great idea. I just do it discreetly.

Reason: The bottle waters are kept in a sterling silver bowl with ice. It's not insulated. So, with the Caribbean heat, the ice melts in what seems like minutes. Warm water is not my thing.

The Stewards liked the idea, and began just putting refills directly in the cooler 

Also, at the end of the day, we just wheel the cooler down to our room and finish whatever waters we didn't finish during the day.

• Like 1

On 10/15/2022 at 3:29 PM, Florida_gal_50 said:

I was not able to get a fruit basket on the koningsdam.  Which ship were you able to get the basket on and has this been since the start up?  

I got it on the Koningsdam in Oct/Nov 2021 and the Zuiderdam in March 2022.  Both delivered without asking.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, ASIWISH said:

Pro Tip:

Normally, I say that bringing coolers is tacky but brining a small cooler on wheels to the Retreat Cabanas is a great idea. I just do it discreetly.

Reason: The bottle waters are kept in a sterling silver bowl with ice. It's not insulated. So, with the Caribbean heat, the ice melts in what seems like minutes. Warm water is not my thing.

The Stewards liked the idea, and began just putting refills directly in the cooler 

Also, at the end of the day, we just wheel the cooler down to our room and finish whatever waters we didn't finish during the day.

It does melt quickly.  I'm going out on a limb, but I bet most people don't like warm water.