Sailing out of Miami, Advantages/Disadvantages to flying into/ staying at either Miami or Fort Lauderdale? Which is better?

Katems75

7 hours ago, kimmimom said:

We did this for the first time in Sept.  We flew into FLL (much cheaper for us).  We stayed at Tru by FLL and that was free shuttle to hotel.  We arranged SAS transportation for Sat morning to get to the Miami port ($15/person).  We used SAS to return to FLL after the cruise (also $15/person).  Going again in April, but going 2 days ahead so trying to allow more touristy time.

What is SAS?

• 2 weeks later...

We always fly in a day or two ahead and it doesn't matter which port you're cruising out of because a good rule of thumb is to use Miami airport if flying on A/A and use FLL if the flight is on Spirit.

We've taken 20 cruises and don't have cell phones or Uber account so we've learned to find the shuttle pickup areas.  Also all the hotels between Miami and Ft. Lauderdale (Hollywood Beach is a very nice area to stay) can arrange from the front desk for transportation to either cruise port. 

Many of the taxi drivers in Broward and Dade Counties are Haitian and as a Canadian I like riding in their cabs and talking politics in French.

16 minutes ago, volk904 said:

30 min drive between FLL and port of Miami.  No big deals.  I have done it my last two cruises.  I use SAS from port of Miami back to FLL. $15 pp.  lots of options.  

I agree that it isn't a 'big deal' but your 30 minute drive is optimistic according to Google Maps unless you are traveling now (midnight) .  Forty-five minutes is more realistic during the day except during rush hours when up to an hour drive is more likely. 

We like FLL better than MIA and given a choice, use it, but coming from the West Coast, MIA has many more options for convenient flights. That should not be an issue flying from NY.

If you are coming in the night before just for the cruise, both airports have nice, reasonably priced hotels from the major chains.

4 hours ago, Land of Ice and Snow said:

We have just returned from our cruise out of Miami.  We stayed at the Embassy Suites in FLL.  SAS provided amazing service from our hotel to POM and from POM to MIA.  We will definitely be using their shuttle anytime we need transportation that they can provide.  

How much was SAS to and from the port per person?

On 12/10/2022 at 2:25 PM, Land of Ice and Snow said:

It was $15 per person….we used it from Embassy Suites, FLL to POM and from POM to FLL.  I made a mistake in my earlier message and said MIA.

Thank you, was that $15 round trip, or one way?

3 hours ago, Katems75 said:

Thank you, was that $15 round trip, or one way?

One way. Not sure how they could make any $ if that was round trip. That would break down to 7.50 each way. I know they use vans and it is probably over 100.00 to fill ot up. I used the many years ago.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/17/2022 at 7:37 PM, barbeyg said:

Last time, we stayed in FLL and drove into Miami day of. Next year, we will stay in Miami. Used an AMEX benefit to knock $200 off the hotel price. Takes some of the sting out, and puts us a short UBER ride away.  As long as we can minimize the ‘ouch’ of Miami hotel prices, we prefer to stay there. 

Could I ask which Miami hotel you used that Amex credit at, I was just looking for a place for our January cruise, thanks

2 hours ago, budcann said:

Could I ask which Miami hotel you used that Amex credit at, I was just looking for a place for our January cruise, thanks

Sure. 🙂 We booked the Kimpton. At the time was reasonably priced.

76B560D3-D5BF-4916-8F8C-6FCF5043045B.jpeg