Alaska late May/early June

saleaaway

Hi everyone

This is our first cruise to Alaska on NCL Encore, and we are so excited.  We leave the 28th of May, and return the 4th of June.  Was hopeful someone could tell us how the weather will be concerning mostly temps.  Also is there a board on what you've packed in the past?  Did you take boots? etc.

Love these boards as they are always full of great people that want to share their past experiences.

thanks

Elaine

Hi, Elaine. 

Lots of layers for Alaska.  

The warmest layer can be a lined rain coat. 

Hat, scarf and gloves: yes  

Probably don't need to haul boots on the trip, but a weather resistant bootie/shoe is good. 

🛳EnJOY 

• Like 1

If you look around the board, you will find tons of info to answer your questions, as they are discussed frequently.

Packing is always about layers, with the outside layer being wind and waterproof.

Weather in Alaska commonly described as extremely variable...it can change multiple times each day. However, May and June are generally the driest months. Another good source is to simply Google search your port cities. Try "Juneau June weather" for example.

• Like 1

Historically - this is a great time to visit.

I would not take boots - I take Brooks athletic shoes that have Gortex for rain.

I would plan for layers. T-shirt, sweatshirt and maybe a jacket in the morning. I pretty much wear jeans and sweatshirts in Alaska at this time. Though it can be warmer or colder. Just pack for layers.

I have been on 3 Alaska cruises in your time frame Every time we had perfect weather. We just booked a cruse on the NCL sprit May 31. we love it there that time of the year. I even wore shorts for land tours a few days. it can be warm.  Only bad thing is you are too early for the salmon run. 

• Like 1

The end of May fist of June it our preferred time to cruise Alaska. There is still some snow on the mountain peaks making for some dandy photo ops, the humpbacks have pretty much completed their migration north and the weather is typically drier this time of year.

As mentioned, layers and a light-weight hooded rain jacket. Besides my dress shoes for onboard formal nights. I take just two pair of sneakers and trade them out as needed, usually every day. Shoes should be based on your excursions. If hiking on trails you may need a light hiker although for most, you’ll be walking on the deck of a boat or a paved street 90% of the time. Boots are usually unnecessary.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Glaciers said:

The end of May fist of June it our preferred time to cruise Alaska. There is still some snow on the mountain peaks making for some dandy photo ops, the humpbacks have pretty much completed their migration north and the weather is typically drier this time of year.

One of my favorite times also!

• Like 3

I have cruised to Alaska twice in May and once in late August, and would cruise again in May every time. Great weather, still snow on the mountains, wildlife coming out, etc. As others said, layers are key. Boots are needed only if you are doing lots of hiking or hiking in a glacier. A hat & gloves are good to have on glacier viewing days or if spending time on deck or a balcony while the ship is sailing.

• 3 weeks later...

We cruised this exact time this year and it was unseasonably warm.  The only day it rained was when we arrived in Vancouver.   I was not prepared for high 70s to low 80’s. All I can say is be prepared for anything. Next time I will bring at least one pair of shorts and more short sleeve shirts.