Online Proctored test and time zones

JuliaMS

I need a proctored test 2 days prior for a TA. I am already in Italy. If I use Rapid test and trace will the documents be dated for where I am of for where they are? I want to take it as early as possible on Thursday but that will still be Wed at home. 

The three proctored test companies I have used all use GMT.  Thus if you take a test at 0001GMT it will show the exact day of the test.  If you took the test at 2359 it would show the prior day.

It does matter as to how the proctoring company date stamps the test.  You will need to ask as they are not all the same because the Date/Day might be different  where you take the test.  For example in Australia it is now Friday while only Thursday in mainland USA.

41 minutes ago, jwlane said:

TIME has nothing to do with it.  It is based on the DAY where the test is physically taken.

It matters a lot if the time zone isn't shown and the date puts the test a day ahead of allowed limit.  Wednesday in the U.S. can be Thursday in Europe.  So having a good date/time stamp that includes the time zone used CAN be important.

Since the check-in folks probably have no clue of the difference between Mountain time and W.E. time (GMT), GMT is generally simpler.

48 minutes ago, canderson said:

It matters a lot

Not so.  It is only the DAY where the person is actually taking the test.  They state "For example, if you are setting sail on a Saturday, and you are required to test 3 days before your sailing, you can take your test on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday; and for 2 days in advance, you can take the test Thursday or Friday."  

Never is time mentioned---only days.

Edited by jwlane

59 minutes ago, canderson said:

It matters a lot if the time zone isn't shown and the date puts the test a day ahead of allowed limit.  Wednesday in the U.S. can be Thursday in Europe.  So having a good date/time stamp that includes the time zone used CAN be important.

Since the check-in folks probably have no clue of the difference between Mountain time and W.E. time (GMT), GMT is generally simpler.

Agree.   I've only tested with eMed which showed Greenwich and OnPoint which showed the time zone I was in. 

56 minutes ago, jwlane said:

Not so.  It is only the DAY where the person is actually taking the test.  They state "For example, if you are setting sail on a Saturday, and you are required to test 3 days before your sailing, you can take your test on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday; and for 2 days in advance, you can take the test Thursday or Friday."  

Never is time mentioned---only days.

If you test late in the day in Colorado on Wednesday and WEDNESDAY'S date appears on your test (even though it is already Thursday in Europe, satisfying the 2 day requirement), you'd better hope there's a MDT zone shown on that report if you plan to embark on Saturday from a European port.

Not sure how to be any clearer.  What time it is here can decide what day it is there.  Jim gets it.  Maybe he can explain it better?

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, canderson said:

If you test late in the day in Colorado on Wednesday and WEDNESDAY'S date appears on your test (even though it is already Thursday in Europe, satisfying the 2 day requirement), you'd better hope there's a MDT zone shown on that report if you plan to embark on Saturday from a European port.

No need to hope---Wednesday in Colorado wouldn't satisfy the 2-day requirement---one would need to wait until Thursday.  In Colorado.

6 minutes ago, jwlane said:

No need to hope---Wednesday in Colorado wouldn't satisfy the 2-day requirement---one would need to wait until Thursday.  In Colorado.

Let me try.  Let's say you are taking the test in Rome at 1:00 a.m. today, Wednesday, October 19 Rome time for a departure on Friday.  If the test results are shown in GMT, it would show you took them at 11:00 p.m. on October 18.  Without the GMT time zone clearly shown or if someone glances too quickly, they might think you took your test a day early.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, jwlane said:

FWIW:  As long as it's already Thursday in the departure city, they don't care where or precisely when you test for the Saturday departure.  

I could be testing at 8pm Wednesday in Los Angeles, or I could be testing at 4am Thursday (this would be at the same exact moment) in Barcelona and they don't care.  So the test time zone or GMT and the time becomes a very relevant part of the test report for evening North American tests.

1 hour ago, jwlane said:

Jwlane- you don't seem to understand.  When you take a test if the testing company uses GMT then if I test at 9pm on Wednesday in Colorado the test will be labeled at 4am on Thursday by the proctoring company and good for a Satuday cruise.

The testing companies date stamp as if you are actually in the UK using the local time there.  They do not care or know where you are or your local time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

They do not care or know where you are or your local time.

EXACTLY!  And Celebrity only cares what time it is when it's from 12:00am to 11:59pm on the required DAY where you take the test.

I'll stick to 2 days---neither of the last two testing companies even hinted at GMT.  I'd be hard pressed to try and explain how it's two days (TU, WE, TH, CRUISE) if I'd done the OnPoint test at 11pm on Tuesday the 23rd.

Screenshot 2022-10-19 17.50.10.png

onpoint.jpg

1 hour ago, jwlane said:

EXACTLY!  And Celebrity only cares what time it is when it's from 12:00am to 11:59pm on the required DAY where you take the test.

Specifically, when you will be boarding a cruise from Western Europe, they only care what time it is in Western Europe time (12:00am ~ 11:59pm) to establish the day of the week that you take the test, which is WHY, if you're somewhere else when taking the test, the test needs to have the time and time zone indicated on report!  If I've got a 2 day antigen test window, and I'm in Los Angeles testing at 8pm on Wednesday for a Saturday sailing, my test NEEDS to show a date/time/zone stamp on it that shows that it was already THURSDAY in Barcelona, Rome, or wherever I'll be boarding when the test was taken.

1 hour ago, jwlane said:

I'll stick to 2 days---neither of the last two testing companies even hinted at GMT.  I'd be hard pressed to try and explain how it's two days (TU, WE, TH, CRUISE) if I'd done the OnPoint test at 11pm on Tuesday the 23rd.

Screenshot 2022-10-19 17.50.10.png

onpoint.jpg

Your test clearly shows that it was generated at 2:02pm CDT.  That would be 8:02pm Western Europe Daylight Time, so in this case, it's the same day at the time you tested and in Western Europe.  Because they didn't use GMT, someone at the docks would have to do a little mental math, but it really wouldn't matter.

If you had taken that same test at 8:00pm CDT (2:00am in Western Europe), it would have counted for the NEXT day in Western Europe.

Honestly, using GMT is a whole lot easier, since it doesn't even care about daylight time, which starts/ends on different dates in different parts of the world. 

Even those who should know better (the military) get screwed up when they don't all follow GMT (Zulu) time.  Classic example, Bay of Pigs invasion:

https://historycollection.com/little-mistakes-from-history-with-huge-consequences/3/#:~:text=Failure to Account for Time Zones Helped Turn,Cuban exiles readied themselves to overthrow Fidel Castro.

Edited by canderson

1 hour ago, canderson said:

my test NEEDS to show a date/time/zone stamp on it that shows that it was already THURSDAY in Barcelona, Rome, or wherever I'll be boarding when the test was taken.

Wrong!  It only needs to show the test was taken on Thursday---ANYWHERE!  It does not have to already be Thursday in Barcelona.  Once again, check Celebrity's website.  Time (except for countries requiring within 24 hr. testing) is NEVER mentioned---ONLY DAYS.  One could test at 3am on Thursday in Omsk, Russia (poor souls), and they're good even though it's 9pm Wednesday in Southampton for a Saturday sailing.

I provided my test to clearly show GMT is not considered or even mentioned.  If I had taken the test at 8pm, it would still only be considered for where I took the test---NOT where the cruise originates.  Check Celebrity's website.

Stroll back thru these threads---it's been settled LOOOONG ago.  

Edited by jwlane

3 hours ago, jwlane said:

One last time and then am moving on.

Proctored testing companies do not know where you are.  They also do not care.  Thus they do not know what day you are taking the test.  Because of the date line it is often Sunday in the US but Monday in Australia etc.

I am happy that Abbot knows

Edited by Arizona Wildcat

4 hours ago, jwlane said:

As others have tried to explain, this is incorrect. Celebrity only cares about the date on your test result, which (depending on time zone that the testing company uses) could be different from the day you actually took the test.

In other words, right now it is 10/19 10pm EST, but if I took an Emed test at this moment, it would say I took the test on 10/20.  That is why time zone matters. And that, in a nutshell, is the entire premise of this thread which continues to elude you.

Edited by RichYak
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, jwlane said:

Read the previous threads. 

Net:  If, for a 2 day window for an antigen test, I test at 8pm Wednesday in Los Angeles for a cruise departing Barcelona on Saturday, my test will be accepted... because it's already Thursday in Barcelona.

Believe this or not as you will.  I'm done!

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, jwlane said:

Read the previous threads. 

There are a number of respected CC members (and me) who are trying to help you to understand, yet you are unable or unwilling to comprehend. Either way, to avoid giving you further reason to embarrass yourself, I will bow out as others have.

10 hours ago, RichYak said:

I will bow out as others have.

Read the previous threads.  Read Celebrity's website.  With 1 exception, time never mentioned.

How do I calculate which days I may take my pre-cruise COVID-19 test?

When calculating which days you can take your test, be aware that the day you set sail is not counted as one of the days, unless the country of embarkation stipulates that the test be taken within 24 hours of arrival.

For example, if you are setting sail on a Saturday, and you are required to test 3 days before your sailing, you can take your test on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday; and for 2 days in advance, you can take the test Thursday or Friday.

What I learned since posting…What is important is the date the testing company puts on the test results. I am in Italy and emed uses UTC. So when I wanted to test at 0015 local time on Thursday the date on the test would have been Wednesday 2215. 

rapid test and trace let’s you select the time zone you are in and the date and time is based on that. 

Edited by JuliaMS