Explora I Introduction Pushed Back to July 2023

dolphin1313

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/20/2022 at 11:35 AM, Bongomeme said:

I’m booked for September Glasgow to NYC…fantastic itinerary. Fingers crossed!

Roel94 when was your trip canceled? I hope you find something to replace it.

I was going here  as I know HD. Great ports. Bday. Cruise 

so booked Virgin for two weeks.

• 4 weeks later...
4 hours ago, travelberlin said:

What is the policy for the cancelled cruises? I am looking at one cruise for August 2023 and I am afraid it might be too soon to book Explora. I do not like cancellations. Is there a definite date when Explora will start?

Ivi

15 July is scheduled to be the naming ceremony and inaugural cruise 

• Thanks 1

• 4 months later...
On 12/27/2022 at 4:42 PM, travelberlin said:

Thanks, but I wonder how realistic that is. Exora is not offering cruises for July in its web page. 

Ivi

My July cruises were cancel ages ago right after I booked.I would wait a while.

4 minutes ago, Roel94 said:

My July cruises were cancel ages ago right after I booked.I would wait a while.

Why?  They are sailing from mid July. The ships through its sea trials 

Edited by uktog

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/20/2023 at 10:04 PM, uktog said:

Why?  They are sailing from mid July. The ships through its sea trials 

They were sailing B2B from BCN to London. I git notice two weeks after I booked cancel. My bday is early July,These were Spanish and French ports either never been or went once. My agent might know the ports. 

I settle for a 2024 Azamara cruise and an Explora Carribbean cruise.

yet to look at second ship as I do not want to winter in Carribbean.

Yes we were on that it was stopping in Bordeaux etc but they sensibly pushed their time line well back early October when furniture suppliers etc were not able to guarantee meeting the delivery schedule. 
Im glad they are going to the Caribbean with some slightly different itineraries- that will be popular with Europeans and I think Explora is very much a “European line”. 

• Like 3

Explora seems to be using Bridgetown as port of embarkation quite a lot in its Caribbean itineraries. Not an easy port to reach for us and with very expensive hotels for pre cruise accommodation. Cartagena in Colombia is also not that easy to reach for us as a port of embarkation. We have decided not to go to the Caribbean with Explora. We have booked with the New Crystal  leaving from Miami, which is for us better for the Caribbean.

Ivi

Edited by travelberlin

Agree with you Ivi, I also find BGI not ideal. Hotels like Hilton are crazy expensive to an extent, that I wonder wonder, who pays >1000 USD per night , basic room, for such a mediocre hotel. But people apparently do as pricing did not come down, vice versa. 

Still waiting for Explora to finally come out with Pre departure hotel offers for my March 2024 cruise from BGI. I am almost sure it will also be the Hilton with their over the top pricing, so I will then stick to my Courtyard Bridgetown (Marriott) reservation. Their prices have also increased since I booked and I do not expect much, but it is somewhat reasonable for a pre departure overnight stay. 

Flying MIA to BGI and back is also crazy expensive too. My AA Ticket was quite costly and I am not the biggest fan of AA, but there was no alternative. 

Condor recently added flights from DE/ FRA though, on the new A330neo with a great Business Class. So that’s good, but came too late for my planning, as I already purchased MIA tickets. 
There are also nonstop flights from London daily on BA and Virgin, as well as Amsterdam and Manchester 2 -3 times a week. 

Cartagena on the other hand is much easier and cheaper to reach from Germany. Eurowings Discover flies into Cartagena directly and LH has 3-4 flights a week to Bogota on the fabulous A340-600, offering all four classes , incl First Class. with onward connection to Cartagena on Avianca ( which is rubbish , but it’s only a short flight ). 

Its a very good flight to BOG, I flew it right before the pandemic and caught one of the last flights back out again, before Columbia was shut down because of Covid. Unbelievable this was only 3 years ago. Crazy times. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/4/2023 at 1:34 PM, uktog said:

Yes we were on that it was stopping in Bordeaux etc but they sensibly pushed their time line well back early October when furniture suppliers etc were not able to guarantee meeting the delivery schedule. 
Im glad they are going to the Caribbean with some slightly different itineraries- that will be popular with Europeans and I think Explora is very much a “European line”. 

I am booked Carribbean and on second ship. How do you feel the itineraries  are different. I been to every island it seems but think I miss one or two.

also booked africa. Will do land first and fky from Capetown.

22 minutes ago, Roel94 said:

I am booked Carribbean and on second ship. How do you feel the itineraries  are different. I been to every island it seems but think I miss one or two.

also booked africa. Will do land first and fky from Capetown.

For those of us flying long haul to USA there is far less opportunity to do the Caribbean. Many face too many barriers to be regular cruisers so may only have been a few times. Therefore itineraries with St Vincent, Guadeloupe (ah Death in Paradise setting for the Brits at last!) are very attractive. You have to remember Explora’s decisions are Europe centric for now so their itineraries may not appeal to the serial cruising US market who see the Caribbean as an extended winter ritual. That’s why to many they are different. 

Absolutely no interest in Africa, like many we cannot have certain vaccines and there is no longer acceptance of exemption letters as guests on Azamara discovered last year. Zero desire to travel that far burning that amount of hard earned money to stay on the ship for days on end sorry!  For those who are able to be fully vaccinated against yellow fever etc they are however very attractive itineraries- you are lucky you can do them!