Port or Starboard veranda on roundtrip? does it matter?

DJ PDX

Hi all! I am looking into a roundtrip from Vancouver on Koninsgdam for next year.

Every recommendation I have seen always say that the views from the starboard side are the best for an Alaska cruise. I understand why this might be the case for a one way northbound cruise, but does it matter as much on a roundtrip cruise?

I will attach a photo of our route.

Should I specifically look for starboard side verandas? Or will I get the same views from either side?

Anyone have experience on this type of itinerary?

919379671_ScreenShot2022-10-08at5_22_27PM.png.4556f1437b2996c4ec1b03bbf9cff326.png

It absolutely doesn't matter. You aren't locked in your room...you are out and about. There are views from all over the ship. In places like Glacier Bay, you sail in, then sail out, seeing both sides. 

Surprised you haven't seen the MANY comments that it doesn't matter.

Several years ago on a different cruise line we did a B2B.  It was seven nights from Seward to Vancouver and then seven nights from Vancouver back to Seward.  We had the same stateroom for both legs of the B2B.  I am not sure port versus starboard sides made much difference.  It is more important to be out and moving through the ship instead of just looking out of your stateroom window.

Thanks for your input!

No I haven't seen too much discussion about it, but I am also pretty new to these boards as well.

Just trying to cover all of our bases because this is our first and potentially only cruise we will take so I want to make sure I consider everything.

5 hours ago, DJ PDX said:

Hi all! I am looking into a roundtrip from Vancouver on Koninsgdam for next year.

Every recommendation I have seen always say that the views from the starboard side are the best for an Alaska cruise. I understand why this might be the case for a one way northbound cruise, but does it matter as much on a roundtrip cruise?

I will attach a photo of our route.

Should I specifically look for starboard side verandas? Or will I get the same views from either side?

Anyone have experience on this type of itinerary?

I completed 2 seasons Alaska cruising from Vancouver, with a number more R/T as a pax. Even northbound, the side of the ship is irrelevant.

When scenic cruising you have land on both sides most of the time and when in open waters you are so far off-shore all you see it tops of mountains.

Best views are from a fwd deck or up top walking both sides of the ship.

just my opinion as a many time visitor to Alaska on different itineraries, all with Holland America, I sail in aft-facing staterooms so that I can step out on my balcony and see the scenery on both sides of the ship.  I can do this in my pajamas and not have to get dressed to go to the public areas to see what's on the other side of the ship.  While I am in my stateroom, I never wonder what I am missing on the other side of the ship.

If the Captain announces that whales are spotted on one side or the other, there is no need to rush from one side of the ship to the other along with other passengers aboard.  I just step out on my balcony with my camera and take a photograph. 

In Glacier Bay, the ship does a 360-degree rotation with passengers moving from side to side, often in the rain, to try to take photographs with their fellow passenger trying to raise their cameras higher than those cameras in front of them.  OTH from my fully, or partially-covered aft-facing balcony, no rain on my head or camera, and no heads blocking my photographic opportunities.

From my aft-facing balcony:https://rogerjett-photography.com/wp-content/gallery/harbor-seals/P5246680-2.jpg

https://rogerjett-photography.com/wp-content/gallery/eagles/P5267208-2.jpg

https://rogerjett-photography.com/wp-content/gallery/glacier-bay/P7150027.jpg

https://rogerjett-photography.com/wp-content/gallery/glacier-bay/glacier-bay-2009-westerdam-alaska-032-2.jpg

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Crew News said:

just my opinion as a many time visitor to Alaska on different itineraries, all with Holland America, I sail in aft-facing staterooms so that I can step out on my balcony and see the scenery on both sides of the ship.  I can do this in my pajamas and not have to get dressed to go to the public areas to see what's on the other side of the ship.  While I am in my stateroom, I never wonder what I am missing on the other side of the ship.

If the Captain announces that whales are spotted on one side or the other, there is no need to rush from one side of the ship to the other along with other passengers aboard.  I just step out on my balcony with my camera and take a photograph. 

In Glacier Bay, the ship does a 360-degree rotation with passengers moving from side to side, often in the rain, to try to take photographs with their fellow passenger trying to raise their cameras higher than those cameras in front of them.  OTH from my fully, or partially-covered aft-facing balcony, no rain on my head or camera, and no heads blocking my photographic opportunities.

From my aft-facing balcony:https://rogerjett-photography.com/wp-content/gallery/harbor-seals/P5246680-2.jpg

https://rogerjett-photography.com/wp-content/gallery/eagles/P5267208-2.jpg

https://rogerjett-photography.com/wp-content/gallery/glacier-bay/P7150027.jpg

https://rogerjett-photography.com/wp-content/gallery/glacier-bay/glacier-bay-2009-westerdam-alaska-032-2.jpg

Those pictures are amazing!!

Thank you for your input, I will definitely check out aft facing cabins.

Have you found that the movement in the aft cabins is heightened on these itineraries?

My partner is nervous about seasickness so I gotta look out for him haha.

Thank you all for your suggestions and experiences!

Edited by DJ PDX

12 minutes ago, DJ PDX said:

Crew News those pictures are amazing!!!

Thank you for the suggestion, that sounds wonderful!

DO you usually experience 

Those pictures are amazing!!

Thank you for your input, I will definitely check out aft facing cabins.

Have you found that the movement in the aft cabins is heightened on these itineraries?

My partner is nervous about seasickness so I gotta look out for him haha.

Thank you all for your suggestions and experiences!

This topic is often discussed here on CC.  In my experience, aft movement is no different than other locations onboard.  The seasickness for most occurs when the ship leans from side to side in the wind.  That means the staterooms on the higher decks move a bit more than the lower deck staterooms.  The ship can deploy stabilizers to alleviate most of this movement.

There are a number of preventive measures to take for seasickness until your body gets accustomed to any ship motion (patches, meds, seabands, etc).  I bring ginger candies in case I feel a bit queasy but only used them once over the years when my ship was hit by a typhoon.  In my case, I wear seabands when I go to bed the first night at sea and remove them in the morning.  I am fine for the rest of the cruise.  

The sound of the propeller wake behind the ship provides the most soothing nights sleep you will ever experience.

Another perk of an aft stateroom is enjoying your balcony while the ship is moving at 19 knots while those with side balconies cannot.  Imagine riding on the hood of a car at 25 MPH as opposed to being inside the car shielded from the wind, then add in outside temperature.  Your wind-free afternoon Room Service snack, glass of wine after dinner, just reading a book, or having a hot breakfast on your balcony while enjoying the Alaskan scenery is possible while the ship is moving.

Here is a link to my photo review of the Koningsdam:  Koningsdam Photo Review

Juneau sunset from my aft stateroom:

https://rogerjett-photography.com/wp-content/gallery/alaska/IMG_0083.jpg

• Like 1