Room Service Questions

momof3cruisers

I am wondering if you can indeed order breakfast the night before to be delivered in a specific time frame the next morning. Have people actually done this? 

Also wondering, when you order the items for a cost, is there an 18% automatic gratuity? And if there is, is it still customary to give the delivery person a few dollars? 

Thanks! 

Edited by momof3cruisers

2 minutes ago, sparks1093 said:

We ordered the night before on Legend in February. I ordered a breakfast sandwich for $4. No gratuity or delivery charge was charged. I did add a couple of bucks.

That was February. The  room service menu was changed in September or that is when the memo went out. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, 1025cruise said:

At this point, you can order room service in the morning. No more pre-orders.

There have been multiple reports here that folks have been able to call their breakfast order in on the night before for delivery at a certain time the next morning. On which ship and what date were you unable to do that?

Guest BasicSailor

Nothing special about ordering food for your cabin, as most of the time it arrives later than expected (cold to luke warm). Save yourself the headache and walk to where the food is.

10 hours ago, Sailin_Pirate said:

That was February. The  room service menu was changed in September or that is when the memo went out. 

The items on the menu might have changed (and prices increased), sure, but that doesn't necessarily mean that it affected the issue at hand- an added gratuity. (I do admit that it could have been added to the new menu, but I don't recall hearing about it.) And while the door hangers may be gone as others have said it is still possible to call room service the night before to arrange for morning delivery. 

Edited by sparks1093

7 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

The items on the menu might have changed (and prices increased), sure, but that doesn't necessarily mean that it affected the issue at hand- an added gratuity. (I do admit that it could have been added to the new menu, but I don't recall hearing about it.) And while the door hangers may be gone as others have said it is still possible to call room service the night before to arrange for morning delivery. 

Just googled the most recent Carnival Room Service menu, states that the 18% gratuity will be added. 

Was reading where John Heald addressed a question about ordering the night before.  He said that will no longer be available.  While that may now be a Carnival policy, who knows what your actual experience will be.

The Room Service changes were to be in place on October 1.

But, I understand that one item removed from the new menu has already been put back by popular demand.  With changes and adjustment possible at any time, my comment might already be outdated.

I was just on the sunshine last week and I called to order it the morning of. Someone picked up right away and we had our food and coffee within about 20 minutes. I don't know if all the ships are that organized and fully staffed but it worked well for us. I didn't need to order ahead the night before and use it as a wake-up call as we were already awake.

The wording on the menu as I recall is an 18% "service charge" not a gratuity. To me the distinction is important. I take "service charge" to basically be like a delivery fee that Domino's charges - just another profit center. So I would still tip if I ordered paid room service.

And no, you cannot order the night before anymore. "Waste"

37 minutes ago, mz-s said:

The wording on the menu as I recall is an 18% "service charge" not a gratuity. To me the distinction is important. I take "service charge" to basically be like a delivery fee that Domino's charges - just another profit center. So I would still tip if I ordered paid room service.

And no, you cannot order the night before anymore. "Waste"

Carnival uses the two terms interchangeably. We don't use room service very often and these changes means not at all since it will easier to go to the lido.