Live from the Discovery Princess - 10/22/22-10/29/22 - aka “The Love Boat Cruise”

7seascruising

22 hours ago, ebeluga said:

They have no clue and was so comical that just because it can access google dot com, it proves the internet is fine.

yes, I got a whole list of semi contradictory reasons on the Sapphire--ie: this ship had old equipment, it's all ships, it's the hurricane (was bad before the hurricane), it's the area (was good in Jan in same locations), it's all the ships, look it loads these websites so it's fine,--this was all in one conversation which ended with a refund of what I had paid to upgrade to a 4-device plan (I paid in OBC so that was how it was refunded & I got to keep the plan)...I tried loading things in the middle of the night & all times with no difference

Edited by travelin.sisters
  • Like 1

No indication why the internet is so bad on the Discovery.  It just seems to be the way it is and accepted from what I could tell.  Honestly we have never had it this bad except when we were in the North Sea off of Norway several years ago.  At least with the CA Coastal we were in port several days and I could then just use my phone off the ship to catch up on e-mail, etc. 

19 hours ago, milogurd said:

Funny you said that. RCCL is contracting for Starlink internet.

It has had its own issues according to some reports.

1 hour ago, 7seascruising said:

I paid for the extra devices the minute I got on the ship and had it refunded the next day. The sad thing is when they rolled out MedallionNet, my wife and I tried it out on the Sky on a transatlantic cruise and it was awesome. It’s been borderline unusable ever since. I can’t believe they are still trying to market this as the best internet at sea. We’re in Mazatlán this morning and have usable internet for the first time since Saturday. 

Hope the Internet/WIFI gets better for you. I read a post from guest on Celebrity Solstice, they said the same thing --WIFI wasn't working until they passed Cabo. Maybe it is due to the satellite.

2 hours ago, 7seascruising said:

We’re in Mazatlán this morning and have usable internet for the first time since Saturday. 

We will be on the 10/29 sailing.  The next time you go to Guest Service, if you don't mind, please kindly ask how many total passengers and how many Elite members will be on the 10/29 sailing.  TIA!!

I was on Discovery in May from Vancouver to Seattle and didn't really notice any trouble. I only logged on to read emails, look at Facebook and use What's App. Are those currently functioning well? Is all the stuff with the medallion working (room service, etc.)

On 10/24/2022 at 3:24 PM, Kay S said:

Did you Google "why is Princess internet access so bad?" 🙂

I did and I came acrooss this quote

"That said, for a cruise ship traveling in the middle of the ocean, Princess Cruises provides incredible internet speeds."

https://highseascruising.com/princess-cruises-medallionnet-wifi/

• Haha 2