OBC refunded?

Markanddonna

OBC at NCL can be refundable or non refundable.  You need to understand which type you have.  If NCL gave it to you, it is probably non refundable.  If a TA or someone else gave it to you, I MAY be refundable.  Check what you have first.  It is possible to have a mixture of both and you can track the remaining value of them on the ship.  

NCL does NOT permit you to use non refundable OBC to pay for your Daily Service Charge (some call this “gratuities”).  However, you CAN use it to pay an additional tip to an employee if you desire.  

You cannot use OBC until you get on the ship. 

Edited by MeHeartCruising
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MeHeartCruising said:

OBC at NCL can be refundable or non refundable.  You need to understand which type you have.  If NCL gave it to you, it is probably non refundable.  If a TA or someone else gave it to you, I MAY be refundable.  Check what you have first.  It is possible to have a mixture of both and you can track the remaining value of them on the ship.  

NCL does NOT permit you to use non refundable OBC to pay for your Daily Service Charge (some call this “gratuities”).  However, you CAN use it to pay an additional tip to an employee if you desire.  

You cannot use OBC until you get on the ship. 

and if it's refundable, yes you can get it refunded at the end of the cruise.  You can go down to guest services on the last night and get it back as cash

• Thanks 1

I usually get onboard credit through a credit card rewards program.

With Princess, any unused funds were always mailed to me in a check about a month after the cruise.

This seems only fair since it's accumulated through credit card purchases that can have interest with the payment.

However, I experienced my first Norwegian cruise last month, and they were clear that it was non-refundable. This, plus more makes me to never choose NCL again.

Edited by roomba920

1 hour ago, roomba920 said:

I usually get onboard credit through a credit card rewards program.

With Princess, any unused funds were always mailed to me in a check about a month after the cruise.

This seems only fair since it's accumulated through credit card purchases that can have interest with the payment.

However, I experienced my first Norwegian cruise last month, and they were clear that it was non-refundable. This, plus more makes me to never choose NCL again.

Reward OBC is a freebie thus it being non-refundable OBC makes perfect sense.  As far as interest goes that is goes that is a huge LOL, just pay your bill when you get it.

Edited by MoCruiseFan
  • Like 1

Traveled on NCL Star earlier this month. Our onboard credit was a good value from our TA plus NCL stock. Boarded with $650 non-refundable onboard credit and $150 refundable onboard credit. Used all of the non-refundable to pay for better internet package $299 (as Platinum members, we received .25% discount from $399 cost), paid 18x2x10 ($360) for Club Balcony gratuities, $29 for a bag of laundry, bought a few drinks and collected $75 cash the evening before leaving the ship. I requested but never received a receipt at the end of trip. 

When i requested a look at my bill once after 4 days and again after 8 days, the charges of internet and daily gratuities were dutifully posted and subtracted from total onboard credit. Of the $800 total onboard credit, cash back of $75 and no bill on cc after disembarking, seems as though gratuities were paid from non-refundable money.

34 minutes ago, Norseh2o said:

When i requested a look at my bill once after 4 days and again after 8 days, the charges of internet and daily gratuities were dutifully posted and subtracted from total onboard credit. Of the $800 total onboard credit, cash back of $75 and no bill on cc after disembarking, seems as though gratuities were paid from non-refundable money.

You got lucky.  Or perhaps the Star still has the old accounting software.  In the "old days", what you experienced is how it worked.  But that is not how it seems to work on the last several NCL ships that I have been on.  Glad it worked out for you and you didn't have to purchase unwanted stuff just to use that chunk of non-refundable OBC like I did.

Edited by MeHeartCruising
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, MoCruiseFan said:

Reward OBC is a freebie thus it being non-refundable OBC makes perfect sense.  As far as interest goes that is goes that is a huge LOL, just pay your bill when you get it.

Yes, I do, but not everyone does. For those who don't it's not a freebie on their side.

2 hours ago, roomba920 said:

Yes, I do, but not everyone does. For those who don't it's not a freebie on their side.

Being rewarded the OBC is a freebie whether you use it or not and you do not get charged interest on the freebies anyway.  As far as refundable goes, since the MAX OBC per cabin is $1000, even if the entire amount needs to be refunded, the interest is typically maxes out at about $20 a month.  We are not talking any huge amounts here.

On 10/24/2022 at 12:42 AM, MoCruiseFan said:

Being rewarded the OBC is a freebie whether you use it or not and you do not get charged interest on the freebies anyway.  As far as refundable goes, since the MAX OBC per cabin is $1000, even if the entire amount needs to be refunded, the interest is typically maxes out at about $20 a month.  We are not talking any huge amounts here.

You're completely misunderstanding, but that's alright. I don't want to add in taking this further off topic.

4 hours ago, roomba920 said:

You're completely misunderstanding, but that's alright. I don't want to add in taking this further off topic.

You assume incorrectly.  I do understand I just feel that your point is a tad trivial, but of course you are 100% entitled to your opinions.  Hope you next cruise is spectacular.