Bidding to upgrade room

willow949

I am very pleased to report that we received an upgrade from a GTY deluxe balcony (cabin had not yet been assigned) to a mini-suite for our upcoming Enchanted Princess sailing in August. We put in a bid that worked out to $15 per person per day, which I think is a very reasonable price for the larger cabin, ESPECIALLY the larger shower. Had we booked the mini-suite directly at the time we booked the deluxe balcony, the price difference would have been nearly twice as much.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

I am very pleased to report that we received an upgrade from a GTY deluxe balcony (cabin had not yet been assigned) to a mini-suite for our upcoming Enchanted Princess sailing in August. We put in a bid that worked out to $15 per person per day, which I think is a very reasonable price for the larger cabin, ESPECIALLY the larger shower. Had we booked the mini-suite directly at the time we booked the deluxe balcony, the price difference would have been nearly twice as much.

When did you get the initial bid email? I'm exactly 85 days out and it says that's when they can open up for bidding but mine still says not available when I check on the website- I got my room through a slightly different way than normal, so I may not get an offer, but just figured I'd see if it pops right up at 85 days or if it may take a few days

5 minutes ago, Scottdalfonso said:

When did you get the initial bid email? I'm exactly 85 days out and it says that's when they can open up for bidding but mine still says not available when I check on the website- I got my room through a slightly different way than normal, so I may not get an offer, but just figured I'd see if it pops right up at 85 days or if it may take a few days

It didn't open up for me until pretty late in the evening once I was at 85 days... sometime after 9:00pm eastern if I recall correctly.

Two things worth noting about my upgrade bid experience, by the way:

1. Even though we are over two months from our sail date, once upgraded, you seem to be locked out of bidding again for a higher category. The bid website just showed me my winning bid and the other bids showed as expired and there was no link or option to bid again.

2. While I was okay-ish with the room assignment I got through my upgrade, an MB on the Rivera Deck (14), I was able to live chat with an agent and get the room changed to an MA on the Caribe Deck (10) with an angled balcony for no additional cost.

• Like 1

Cool, thank you! I'll check later tonight or tomorrow and see if it pops up. Yeah, I assumed once you get an upgrade, that's it for the bidding process. But I'm glad to see you got it back so quickly- I see stories on Princess and RC about some people not finding out until right up to sail date (and I'm a week into waiting for a response on a Mid-July cruise on Royal)  

6 minutes ago, Scottdalfonso said:

Cool, thank you! I'll check later tonight or tomorrow and see if it pops up. Yeah, I assumed once you get an upgrade, that's it for the bidding process. But I'm glad to see you got it back so quickly- I see stories on Princess and RC about some people not finding out until right up to sail date (and I'm a week into waiting for a response on a Mid-July cruise on Royal)  

I was surprised to win a bid still over two months out. On my last Enchanted Princess sailing in May, I didn't even get my regular room assignment (had booked a GTY) until about two weeks before sailing and that sailing had been sold out for quite a while, so you would think there wouldn't be that much late movement.

• Like 1

On 10/24/2022 at 4:49 PM, socialworker said:

I'm unsure of what I'm seeing in the Upgrade Offer.  We have an obstructed ocean view that's really not obstructed and we're happy with it.  The offer from Princess contained three possible upgrades, Oceanview, Standard Balcony and Premium Balcony. Then we decided what we'd be willing to pay for each balcony option (only worthwhile choices). When I clicked on submit an upgrade bid, what popped up was a box with a line with a red dot and the number $1040 and the continuation of the line. Under that was the "button" to "submit a bid."  I was afraid to click the upgrade button because I sure didn't want to bid an additional $1040 per person. 

Can someone please explain how I go about submitting a bid and what the heck was that $1040 representing.

Thanks.   

Don't know if the system is the same in the US as the UK but the slider represents how much you want to bid and if you move the slider from zero to any amount and then hit bid you will be bidding on that grade of cabin. I presume they then ask if successful what you want the extra fare charged to if you win.

Yes we have the slider in the US and you have to give them a credit card number to charge the additional upgrade cost to if your bid is accepted.  

• 2 weeks later...

If you accept an upgrade you do not know in advance where your cabin is located.  Couple upgraded from mid ship balcony to mini-suite and ended up sleepless since the cabin was at the bow and we encountered rough seas.  Lesson learned; book what you want and can afford.

• Like 1

We lucked up.  On our upcoming cruise we had a mini-suite (which is what we typically book) but decided..."What the heck...let's see what happens with a somewhat lowball bid".  Well...we ended up with a Vista suite.  First time ever to cruise in a suite.  Looking forward to it!

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Best perks we found on the suite upgrade were access to the concierge lounge, option to eat breakfast in Sabatini's restaurant (with different and upgraded menu) instead of dinning room or buffet and no line at main dinning room whenever you get there.  

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I’m been signing onto the bidding process for a number of months for my September 2, Alaska cruise. 

I’m aware that you can be contacted by Princess but when I try to sign on I’m still not allowed to place a bid. 

The bidding process is challenging, as my travel agent has not been able to figure it out either. 

Thanks for everyone’s posting. 

Tom😀

Edited by trbarton

30 minutes ago, trbarton said:

I’m been signing onto the bidding process for a number of months for my September 2, Alaska cruise. 

I’m aware that you can be contacted by Princess but when I try to sign on I’m still not allowed to place a bid. 

The bidding process is challenging, as my travel agent has not been able to figure it out either. 

Thanks for everyone’s posting. 

Tom😀

@trbarton  Maybe your cruise isn’t eligible?  I have attached the embedded link to check eligibility. 

1. How do I check whether my cruise is eligible for Princess Upgrade?
    You should receive an email invitation after all eligibility requirements are met and have opted-in to receive marketing emails from Princess. If you meet all the eligibility requirements but still cannot access the bidding site, please check with your travel advisor as a small number of travel agencies have elected to limit access partially or fully to this program. You can also check the eligibility of your cruise on the Princess Upgrade site directly.

https://upg.plusgrade.com/marketing/partner/RNo2BO4VPCL

7 minutes ago, t&atravel said:

@trbarton  Maybe your cruise isn’t eligible?  I have attached the embedded link to check eligibility. 

1. How do I check whether my cruise is eligible for Princess Upgrade?
    You should receive an email invitation after all eligibility requirements are met and have opted-in to receive marketing emails from Princess. If you meet all the eligibility requirements but still cannot access the bidding site, please check with your travel advisor as a small number of travel agencies have elected to limit access partially or fully to this program. You can also check the eligibility of your cruise on the Princess Upgrade site directly.

https://upg.plusgrade.com/marketing/partner/RNo2BO4VPCL

I’ve been using that site on a regular basis & get the following message & I’m still confused.. 

Tom🤔

IMG_0236.jpeg

Posted (edited)
48 minutes ago, trbarton said:

I’ve been using that site on a regular basis & get the following message & I’m still confused.. 

Tom🤔

IMG_0236.jpeg

@trbarton  Did you book with a TA and do they participate in the program?  It says you do not meet the eligibility requirements.  Are others on your roll call eligible?  These are the things to check.  You just may not be able to bid.

Princess’s T&C

IMG_1383.png

Edited by t&atravel

After I logged into the my booking on the Princess Website and after I had paid the final balance due on the cruise, there was a section to upgrade which I had to enter my last name and cruise info and then it told me that I was eligible to bid on which cabins and shown a scale which gave a range for each room and indicated depending on what you bid whether the bid was likely to be accepted.  

I didn't bid the max at first (for a reserve mini suite) from a regular mini suite but after not hearing anything for a couple of weeks upped my bid to the max of 650 pp figuring that it would probably get me that room.  Three days before the cruise got an e-mail saying their were no rooms available for in that category but for 825 pp (an extra 175 pp), I could have a penthouse suite.  I jumped at it and was told the next day I got it.  Figured someone cancelled at the last moment and they already had gotten paid for the suite and that since I had already bid the max for a little bit more I would take it and then they could accept a bid on my original mini suite from someone else. A win win for them and bad for me since I got hooked on suites perks and benefits and just got off a cruise in May where I was in a similar penthouse suite and have booked another PS next year.  

• Like 1

On 7/23/2024 at 4:51 PM, t&atravel said:

@trbarton  Did you book with a TA and do they participate in the program?  It says you do not meet the eligibility requirements.  Are others on your roll call eligible?  These are the things to check.  You just may not be able to bid.

Princess’s T&C

IMG_1383.png

I do have a T/A & they tell me that there is nothing that they can do. I originally booked myself & transferred my reservation. I’ve been able to bid before even tho I had a T/A. I’m not sure if Princess Policy has changed & calling Princess doesn't help. 

Tom🤔

I bid, it just said they had until 2 days before the cruise to accept or reject my bid. I bid from a balcony room on Diamond Princess to a Mini Suite for $80pp and it said it was a strong bid and also the Club Mini Suite for $255pp and it said it was a good bid. 

It's really nerve racking to have to wait until 2 days before the cruise to find out if you got the upgrade or not.  As in my case, I couldn't resist temptation to increase my bid to the max and am lucky I did as I wouldn't have been upgraded to a penthouse suite for such a small addition over what I bid for a club class mini suite.  

Yes, 3 days before our Celebrity cruise last week it was rejected and on NCL last year we were actually at dinner and unpacked when I got the email that my bid was rejected. Unbelievable, the ship had already sailed!

• Haha 1

I bid to upgrade from a Deluxe Balcony to a Mini-suite on my upcoming August 10 sailing on the Encahted and my bid was accepted on June 6, so over two months out from the sail date. You just never know!

• Like 3