Time in between flights.

JohnGc

Flying interstate to Sydney with a 4hr 30 min wait until the next flight to Honolulu for transpacific cruise return to Aus. To anyone that has had the same situation did you leave the airport and catch the train into Circular quay for a wander or hang around the airport ?  Seeing it is an International connecting flight I wondered if you still had to check in early even though your flight was booked as one journey from interstate. The flight to Honolulu was not available on the day before the cruise,   I did plan to go 2 days before but that means if any flights are cancelled that day there would be no flights the following day leaving only the day of the cruise. Even though you arrive minus 20hrs from Aus I feel it is still not allowing for any problems.Got to research cost of hotels or apartments that are a reasonable cost but if anyone has any suggestions I would appreciate it.Flight cost has blown a hole in my budget but still keen to go so trying to keep cost down on accomodation. Would have preferred going a week earlier to enjoy Honolulu but it is what it is. Hope this all makes sense. 😊

18 minutes ago, JohnGc said:

Flying interstate to Sydney with a 4hr 30 min wait until the next flight to Honolulu for transpacific cruise return to Aus. To anyone that has had the same situation did you leave the airport and catch the train into Circular quay for a wander or hang around the airport ?  Seeing it is an International connecting flight I wondered if you still had to check in early even though your flight was booked as one journey from interstate. The flight to Honolulu was not available on the day before the cruise,   I did plan to go 2 days before but that means if any flights are cancelled that day there would be no flights the following day leaving only the day of the cruise. Even though you arrive minus 20hrs from Aus I feel it is still not allowing for any problems.Got to research cost of hotels or apartments that are a reasonable cost but if anyone has any suggestions I would appreciate it.Flight cost has blown a hole in my budget but still keen to go so trying to keep cost down on accomodation. Would have preferred going a week earlier to enjoy Honolulu but it is what it is. Hope this all makes sense. 😊

If your first flight is a domestic flight, I believe (and please check this - don't just take my word for it) you would check in the normal domestic flight timing before the flight. @Aus Traveller is, I'm sure, correct that you will transfer from domestic terminal to international in Sydney. You should not have to check in again if you are ticketed from your origin through to Honolulu - on the one ticket. You will be given boarding passes on your first check-in at your origin for your whole trip. As per @Aus Traveller I wouldn't be leaving the airport.

If you do the reverse on your return however (Honolulu to Sydney and then domestic flight to another part of Australia) you will need to collect your luggage in Sydney and go on a strange journey through the back of the airport to get to customs and immigration where you will be processed as it's your first entry back into Australia. It's a bit of a right royal pain in my experience (but sometimes there's a good reason why that option has been chosen - I understand having done it myself).

Are you thinking of arriving in Hawaii 20 hours before you board your cruise? I'm confused as to when you plan to travel. I think that would be a minimum amount of time I would allow. There must be some budget accomodation options there. I'm afraid I can't help with that though, not having been there for decades.

12 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

I would not even consider leaving the airport with only a 4.5 hour wait between flights. You will probably have to go from the domestic terminal in Sydney to the International anyway.

Thanks, they are my initial thoughts. I am always strict about being early to catch flights and as you say I will have to go to the International terminal. I have two choices Air N/Z to Auckland with a longer flight from the Gold coast or Quantus via Sydney that woks out 2 hrs shorter in the long run. 

1 minute ago, JohnGc said:

Thanks, they are my initial thoughts. I am always strict about being early to catch flights and as you say I will have to go to the International terminal. I have two choices Air N/Z to Auckland with a longer flight from the Gold coast or Quantus via Sydney that woks out 2 hrs shorter in the long run. 

As everyone else said don't leave the airport.  Isn't it three hour check in for international flights.  I would take the Air NZ flight  from GC (? direct) to Auckland rather than Qantas via Sydney.  Can you elaborate where you are catching this Qantas Flight from and the times.  My neighbour, a pilot, was horrified when he saw the official connection times I was given for a flight from Brisbane via Sydney, for an overseas flight.

3 minutes ago, LittleFish1976 said:

If your first flight is a domestic flight, I believe (and please check this - don't just take my word for it) you would check in the normal domestic flight timing before the flight. @Aus Traveller is, I'm sure, correct that you will transfer from domestic terminal to international in Sydney. You should not have to check in again if you are ticketed from your origin through to Honolulu - on the one ticket. You will be given boarding passes on your first check-in at your origin for your whole trip. As per @Aus Traveller I wouldn't be leaving the airport.

If you do the reverse on your return however (Honolulu to Sydney and then domestic flight to another part of Australia) you will need to collect your luggage in Sydney and go on a strange journey through the back of the airport to get to customs and immigration where you will be processed as it's your first entry back into Australia. It's a bit of a right royal pain in my experience (but sometimes there's a good reason why that option has been chosen - I understand having done it myself).

Are you thinking of arriving in Hawaii 20 hours before you board your cruise? I'm confused as to when you plan to travel. I think that would be a minimum amount of time I would allow. There must be some budget accomodation options there. I'm afraid I can't help with that though, not having been there for decades.

Thanks for you reply. The minus 20 hrs time difference if I chose to leave Australia in the evening on the day of the cruise would  have me into Honolulu at approx 9.30 am ( same day )

5 minutes ago, JohnGc said:

I'd take the Air NZ one - you've got more chance, surely, of being delayed in Sydney than in Auckland. Also, if you take the Air NZ flight home, you will arrive in Australia at your home port and avoid having to collect luggage in SYdney as I decribed above.

5 minutes ago, JohnGc said:

Thanks for you reply. The minus 20 hrs time difference if I chose to leave Australia in the evening on the day of the cruise would  have me into Honolulu at approx 9.30 am ( same day )

I just wrote and posted a response to your comment here but can't see it so if it shows up, I'm not going mad!

I think that timing is too tight for comfort. Missing the start of your cruise would be awful. I'd be staying in a backpackers for a few nights rather than arriving (and maybe missing) the day of boarding.. Is the ship having an overnight in Honolulu at the start of your cruise though? That would give you a buffer.

Edited by LittleFish1976
typos!

3 minutes ago, LittleFish1976 said:

I'd take the Air NZ one - you've got more chance, surely, of being delayed in Sydney than in Auckland. Also, if you take the Air NZ flight home, you will arrive in Australia at your home port and avoid having to collect luggage in SYdney as I decribed above.

They are cruising home.  But I agree avoid Sydney and take Air NZ flight..

There is budget accommodation in Honolulu, just back from the beach.

10 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

As everyone else said don't leave the airport.  Isn't it three hour check in for international flights.  I would take the Air NZ flight  from GC (? direct) to Auckland rather than Qantas via Sydney.  Can you elaborate where you are catching this Qantas Flight from and the times.  My neighbour, a pilot, was horrified when he saw the official connection times I was given for a flight from Brisbane via Sydney, for an overseas flight.

14.35 Gold coast /  Sydney 17.05             Sydney 21.10 /  09.55  Honolulu. total duration 15h20m

9 minutes ago, LittleFish1976 said:

I just wrote and posted a response to your comment here but can't see it so if it shows up, I'm not going mad!

I think that timing is too tight for comfort. Missing the start of your cruise would be awful. I'd be staying in a backpackers for a few nights rather than arriving (and maybe missing) the day of boarding.. Is the ship having an overnight in Honolulu at the start of your cruise though? That would give you a buffer.

No no overnight. Planning on 2 days in Honolulu before the cruise. As you say to much of a chance arriving same day ( not my style ) 😊  There are only certain days in the week that there are flights to Honolulu. 

• Like 1

Hi, if you reconsider staying in Honolulu for a few days prior to the cruise I can highly recommend the Ilikai, through WaikikiBeachRentals (private condo rentals rather than the hotel rooms). For Waikiki their prices are very, very reasonable, you don't pay the extra per night resort fee that many places charge although there is a one time cleaning fee after your stay. We stay in condo 2006, stunning views and on embarkation day you'll see your ship in port from the lanai🛳 We're still mobile enough so the Ilikai is a pleasant stroll in either direction for the main part of Waikiki Beach or the huge Ala Moana shopping centre or Magic Island. The location is next door to the Hilton Hawaiian Village. Just a suggestion as something that might appeal 😊

16 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

They are cruising home.  But I agree avoid Sydney and take Air NZ flight..

There is budget accommodation in Honolulu, just back from the beach.

Thanks good to know. I will do a bit of research on the accommodation. 😊

4 minutes ago, Jean C said:

Hi, if you reconsider staying in Honolulu for a few days prior to the cruise I can highly recommend the Ilikai, through WaikikiBeachRentals (private condo rentals rather than the hotel rooms). For Waikiki their prices are very, very reasonable, you don't pay the extra per night resort fee that many places charge although there is a one time cleaning fee after your stay. We stay in condo 2006, stunning views and on embarkation day you'll see your ship in port from the lanai🛳 We're still mobile enough so the Ilikai is a pleasant stroll in either direction for the main part of Waikiki Beach or the huge Ala Moana shopping centre or Magic Island. The location is next door to the Hilton Hawaiian Village. Just a suggestion as something that might appeal, will just have to stay away from the covid so we can Embark on the day. Thanks Jean. 😊

Thats brilliant, I will be having a look at that. Might be able to afford going a few days earlier.

PS, for those not so keen on walking or the heat, the pink trolley bus stops outside the Ilikai, for going to Ala Moana or the heart of Waikiki Beach. We always walk though, a pleasant enough walk that you don't notice the distance 🙃

52 minutes ago, JohnGc said:

Do you mean Gold Coast Airport or Brisbane? If Brisbane I would consider Air NZ, mainly for the reason that your direct flight to Auckland is an international flight and less likely to be cancelled if weather doesn't play ball - domestic flights are cancelled first. Having said that, when flying from Brisbane at the end of July, got talking to a couple of young girls at the airport who'd been staying on the Gold Coast and were to fly back to NZ from there, but got so fed up with being stuck there for a few extra days when flight after flight was cancelled that they booked a flight from Brisbane just so they could get back home 🏡 

19 minutes ago, Jean C said:

Do you mean Gold Coast Airport or Brisbane? If Brisbane I would consider Air NZ, mainly for the reason that your direct flight to Auckland is an international flight and less likely to be cancelled if weather doesn't play ball - domestic flights are cancelled first. Having said that, when flying from Brisbane at the end of July, got talking to a couple of young girls at the airport who'd been staying on the Gold Coast and were to fly back to NZ from there, but got so fed up with being stuck there for a few extra days when flight after flight was cancelled that they booked a flight from Brisbane just so they could get back home 🏡 

Thats interesting I will have to look into that. If I book direct with Air N/Z to Honolulu from Gold Coast airport the booking states a stop over of about 4/5hrs at Auckland so I assumed  the flight to Aukland would be Air N/Z International. Did the girls you mentioned use another carrier other than Air N/Z ? Thanks for the tip about the bus.😊

Edited by JohnGc

23 minutes ago, JohnGc said:

Thats interesting I will have to look into that. If I book direct with Air N/Z to Honolulu from Gold Coast airport the booking states a stop over of about 4/5hrs at Auckland so I assumed  the flight to Aukland would be Air N/Z International. Did the girls you mentioned use another carrier other than Air N/Z ? Thanks for the tip about the bus.😊

I don't actually know.  So I don't know why their flights were cancelled, if they were due to the actual airport/runway size (I've never flown there), the plane size or if weather conditions were worse there.

In NZ although you used to be able to fly to Aus from Hamilton, for anything important or time critical I'd always fly from a bigger centre, eg Auckland.

1 hour ago, Jean C said:

I don't actually know.  So I don't know why their flights were cancelled, if they were due to the actual airport/runway size (I've never flown there), the plane size or if weather conditions were worse there.

In NZ although you used to be able to fly to Aus from Hamilton, for anything important or time critical I'd always fly from a bigger centre, eg Auckland.

Gold Coast  Airport has expanded over the last few years and now caters for international flights as well as domestic. Air N/Z fly direct to Auckland from the Gold Coast. Without doubt Brisbane Airport is much larger.

50 minutes ago, JohnGc said:

Gold Coast  Airport has expanded over the last few years and now caters for international flights as well as domestic. Air N/Z fly direct to Auckland from the Gold Coast. Without doubt Brisbane Airport is much larger.

A lot of secondary airlines, like Tiger, used to fly from GC Airport and they had a reputation of cancelling flights.  Those airlines are no longer flying, so I don't know which airline was currently cancelling flights.  I'd be surprised if it was Air NZ, but you could phone them to ask or check with the airport, if you have concerns.  Ive flown internationally with Scoot from GC Airport to Singapore and noticed other airlines flying internationally.  

22 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

A lot of secondary airlines, like Tiger, used to fly from GC Airport and they had a reputation of cancelling flights.  Those airlines are no longer flying, so I don't know which airline was currently cancelling flights.  I'd be surprised if it was Air NZ, but you could phone them to ask or check with the airport, if you have concerns.  Ive flown internationally with Scoot from GC Airport to Singapore and noticed other airlines flying internationally.  

I feel that Air N/Z would be fine from GC international. The domestic flights seems to be the problem now days and I think that will improve as the airlines sort themselves out from all the pre-covid problems. I will enquire when I get a bit closer too booking.  Thanks 🙂

• Like 1

9 hours ago, JohnGc said:

I feel that Air N/Z would be fine from GC international. The domestic flights seems to be the problem now days and I think that will improve as the airlines sort themselves out from all the pre-covid problems. I will enquire when I get a bit closer too booking.  Thanks 🙂

Air NZ use better aircraft between Australia and NZ in my experience. I fly Melbourne to Auckland quite a lot and Qantas use 737's -'Winglets' which are a bit on the small and noisy side whereas Air NZ use 777's - a proper international aircraft and much more comfortable.

1 hour ago, LittleFish1976 said:

Air NZ use better aircraft between Australia and NZ in my experience. I fly Melbourne to Auckland quite a lot and Qantas use 737's -'Winglets' which are a bit on the small and noisy side whereas Air NZ use 777's - a proper international aircraft and much more comfortable.

1 hour ago, LittleFish1976 said:

Thats good to know, at my age I need all the comfort I can get. As I am planning on booking well in advance I am still trying to work out how much extra it would cost for refundable air fare in case I have to cancel for any reason. Cant seem to find it with just researching fare cost, may just give them a phone call.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LittleFish1976 said:

Agree with you on this. 737's are for 'short' flights & are not suitable for 3 hr + flights to NZ etc. A big issue is toilets as there is just not enough to cater for a full plane with 'free' drinks & food. There would be people lined up all down the aisle for the whole second half of the flight.

I complained to QANTAS a few times about my travels to NZ (from Sydney & Melb) on 737's. I ended up flying to AKL and ChCh on Emirates A-380's - much more suitable for those flights.

• Like 2