Carnival Ecstasy - Update

Beezo

4 hours ago, Beezo said:

Gotcha - I thought they just said "retired from Carnival," meaning could have attempted a sale with another line, moved to refugee housing, etc.

thank you

Refugee housing is always done as a charter. The cruise line would still be responsible for staffing the ship and retain ownership of the vessel.

If a government attempted to buy a ship, it would likely not find enough qualified workers fast enough to maintain the ship - engines still have to be maintained even if the ship is stationary, as shore power is not always an option. Getting the appropriate visas for foreign workers takes time. Even the US government can only bend so many rules even when dealing with itself.

Carnival Ecstasy is due for dry dock, the cost of which likely exceeds what she could earn over the next 30-36 months. Fantasy class vessels are still too large for some ports, so there is limited value to another cruise line. The secondary market for ships is also very weak after the industry shutdown and with the Russia/Ukraine conflict.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tidecat said:

Refugee housing is always done as a charter. The cruise line would still be responsible for staffing the ship and retain ownership of the vessel.

If a government attempted to buy a ship, it would likely not find enough qualified workers fast enough to maintain the ship - engines still have to be maintained even if the ship is stationary, as shore power is not always an option. Getting the appropriate visas for foreign workers takes time. Even the US government can only bend so many rules even when dealing with itself.

Carnival Ecstasy is due for dry dock, the cost of which likely exceeds what she could earn over the next 30-36 months. Fantasy class vessels are still too large for some ports, so there is limited value to another cruise line. The secondary market for ships is also very weak after the industry shutdown and with the Russia/Ukraine conflict.

Yep. Post pandemic all the retiring Fantasy Class has gone straight to the breakers if I recall correctly.

11 hours ago, tidecat said:

Also John Heald mentioned on the final cruise that they really wanted to keep Ecstasy for longer but she was needing very expensive engine repairs, they looked into fixing her but it would have cost over $20 million. It was just too much to invest in the old girl. But even with that, Ecstasy’s engines was in better shape than Sensation’s, which is why they kept her around for that little final season from a Mobile instead of Sensation. 

• 2 weeks later...

For those keeping tabs, the Carnival Ecstasy passed thru the Strait of Gibraltar today and is well on her way to Aliaga. For clarity of the screenshots I removed most all other types of ships except passenger vessels…

FCCCE9A1-8F66-4786-8C0A-17F2CEB068DF.png

B25AF0B8-7658-4E64-8832-C79F24D56C4E.png

😎

Edited by matt1
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

CARNIVAL ECSTASY is now cruising the Aegean Sea on the last leg of her journey to Aliaga, where she is due to arrive tomorrow. Current screenshot shows the ship just left of center, with Athens on the left and Aliaga near the upper right… 

BB931005-2F91-4B0D-86B3-2F3B865CAC63.png

• Thanks 3

28 minutes ago, CarnivalShips480 said:

I found a website that has weekly scrap reports and says when each ship is sold for scrap. Turns out Sensation was sold on February 15, 2022 and Ecstasy was sold on February 17, 2022

All this time I thought that Ecstasy had a chance to be sold to another cruise line.......

The class was for sale years before COVID, no one wanted them; they also required expensive maintenance upgrades. At least there's two left for now...

1 hour ago, CruiseAdict218 said:

The class was for sale years before COVID, no one wanted them; they also required expensive maintenance upgrades. At least there's two left for now...

At least there's two left....

I do recall that Fantasy was to leave the fleet in January 2022, I wonder what the exit order would have been for Fantasy class if there was no pandemic

Probably the same as it was, but more spread out

• Like 1

On 11/10/2022 at 6:07 PM, toad455 said:

FYI, the Sensation is to the middle of the Imagination(left) & Ecstasy(right). Appears they've barely touched the Imagination yet.

I read that Imagination is being used as a hotel for the workers.  Not sure why though, unless they needed a lot of new workers to help with the scrapping of more ships lately.

12 hours ago, CarnivalShips480 said:

At least there's two left....

I do recall that Fantasy was to leave the fleet in January 2022, I wonder what the exit order would have been for Fantasy class if there was no pandemic

Probably the same as it was, but more spread out

I have a feeling Ecstasy probably would still be leaving the fleet last month, simply because she was due for drydock. That was why Fantasy was originally without work beyond January 7, 2022.

The biggest wildcards in a non-pandemic scenario are Luminosa and Jubilee. If they stay with Costa and AIDA, I expect Imagination and Inspiration are still in Long Beach, Radiance would have gone to Galveston as originally planned, and Spirit would still be in Brisbane. Fascination would be running year-round in Mobile. Sensation would probably still be gone by January 2023 as she was due for drydock at that time. There apparently was some sort of construction at Port Everglades that caused Carnival to move Sunrise from Fort Lauderdale to Miami.

If the current geopolitical situation in Europe is still a thing, I would expect Carnival would probably be looking at paring down the Costa fleet. So Costa Luminosa may still wind up with Carnival, which may make for a premature exit for Imagination or Inspiration. The other one of the two is likely gone ahead of the Costa by Carnival launch of Firenze, and I expect Carnival moves a larger ship over to Long Beach to consolidate the 3/4 day business. I think Carnival also winds up with Costa Magica, which likely puts either Spirit or Miracle in Mobile to replace the Fascination ahead of Fascination's 2023 drydock.

If Carnival still winds up with Jubilee, I'd still expect Radiance moving from Galveston to Long Beach and the disposal of both Imagination and Inspiration. Any subsequent Russia-related moves would be targeting 2023 disposals for Fascination, Elation, and Paradise.

• Like 2