Warning… Volendam Vista Suite 6139 … loud late night noise

Ibis

Transferred from Oosterdam to Volendam on Saturday,  October 22. Spent the afternoon unpacking and noticed music that seemed to be coming into the room through the speaker. Called guest services several times with various different and strange explanations given to us  each time we called. We were reassured it would stop once we left port. Eventually, guest services said someone would check  while we were out. We enjoyed a good first night dinner and we were pleased with our fixed seating table for two. Returned to the room to discover, to our horror the music was now much louder. After several calls again to guest services someone came to the room. The music was from the Ocean Bar and it continued until after 12:30AM. Long story short, the next day, after much conversation with guest services, we spent the day packing, moving and unpacking in a new room instead of enjoying Split, Croatia, one of our favorite ports.  We know at least four other rooms complained. We are now in 7045, same category as 6139 but further from Ocean Bar which is a huge relief. Unfortunately, we do hear chairs or something being moved above us that at times sounds remarkably like an airplane taking off just above us 😞 . Apologies for this being brief, but wanted to alert others.. unless you enjoy having the sound effects of a late night band in the room with you, don’t book 6139 or anything close. In the next few days I hope to be able to post a report on both trips, we have had some great ports with beautiful days as well as a severe storm, but at the moment we are both still trying to recover from Saturday night. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, scottsol said:

This is why you should always check the deck plans directly above and below your perspective room before committing.

Years ago on the Veendam we were one deck below the Lido deck. At 5 or 6 am

pool chairs were dragged around. I don't know if passengers or crew did this.

Of course, we did check the deck plan. Apparently we didn’t do a good job of figuring out just how far our room would be from the stage and most of all, we had no idea how unbelievably loud the band and singer would be. And it isn’t just one room. I meet a couple in a room at least four or five rooms away while we were all moving and they said it was as though the band was in their room. So did a gentleman in an inside room  on the same hallway. When we first asked customer service they told us no one else complained but when pressured as I told them I had already met others who had already moved they said there were at least four more rooms waiting to be moved. 

We used to book rooms without checking the deck plans. We quickly learned about cruisedeckplans.com., which  is free to use. We also discovered Mac's, which we rate highest after trying dozens of earplugs. I never leave home without them. They are very soft and really block out the noise. And no offense to the HAL agents who book your cabin for you, but they really  aren't familiar with the ships, or so it seems, lol.

Edited by BobbiSox
typo
  • Like 1

On 10/24/2022 at 5:25 PM, Ibis said:

Transferred from Oosterdam to Volendam on Saturday,  October 22. Spent the afternoon unpacking and noticed music that seemed to be coming into the room through the speaker. Called guest services several times with various different and strange explanations given to us  each time we called. We were reassured it would stop once we left port. Eventually, guest services said someone would check  while we were out. We enjoyed a good first night dinner and we were pleased with our fixed seating table for two. Returned to the room to discover, to our horror the music was now much louder. After several calls again to guest services someone came to the room. The music was from the Ocean Bar and it continued until after 12:30AM. Long story short, the next day, after much conversation with guest services, we spent the day packing, moving and unpacking in a new room instead of enjoying Split, Croatia, one of our favorite ports.  We know at least four other rooms complained. We are now in 7045, same category as 6139 but further from Ocean Bar which is a huge relief. Unfortunately, we do hear chairs or something being moved above us that at times sounds remarkably like an airplane taking off just above us 😞 . Apologies for this being brief, but wanted to alert others.. unless you enjoy having the sound effects of a late night band in the room with you, don’t book 6139 or anything close. In the next few days I hope to be able to post a report on both trips, we have had some great ports with beautiful days as well as a severe storm, but at the moment we are both still trying to recover from Saturday night. 

Thanks for this news.  What type of entertainment is there in the evening? Any production shows?  Good luck

Many experienced crusiers know to carefully avoid cabins over, under, or near a public room...especially a lounge that tends to be open late or early.  On some lines (i.e. Carnival) a cabin such as the one chosen by the OP is known as a "night owl cabin" for obvious reasons.  If you are among the folks (such as me) who go to bed late, the stuff in the lounge is generally not an issue.  Otherwise, always try to choose a cabin that is surrounded on all sides (including above and below) by other cabins/suites.  If you are a late riser it is also wise to avoid cabins under the pool deck as staff may be moving and setting up loungers early every morning.

Even when we do a guarantee, if we see (usually at the last minute) that our cabin assignment is in a noisy location, we will make every effort to get it changed (even if it means paying for an upgrade).

Hank

We once had a Suite on a Celebrity cruise that was several decks up from the main show room.  The first evening in the room, I heard music and singing coming from a corner of the stateroom.  Sounded like it was being broadcast through a phonograph with that tin can sound.  This continued every evening of the cruise as we were getting ready for dinner.  We finally decided that it was somehow being transferred through a beam or pipe running from the 4th deck up to the 7th.  We ruled out the sound coming from the next door stateroom.