What Extras Do You Pack?

JamieLogical

Many of the ‘must’ items we pack are already listed here, with the exception of two things.

One is a magnetic light with a motion sensor - can put it anywhere on the walls and aim it where you need it. Perfect for middle of the night bathroom visits: 

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07GH5YRYL/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And the other is a two pack of valet trays. I saw a review of them, but haven’t tried them out yet. I think they’ll be great for small things you don’t want to leave on the counter top to get lost/fall off, like pens, jewelry, hair elastics, etc: 

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B09M3Q568G/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Like 2

sea bands for wrists to prevent seasickness

conditioner if I’m in a regular cabin and not a suite or Haven

Hydroflask water bottle

Yeti mug

two small magnetic clips

post it notes

and these days I pack a pen since the last few cruises haven’t had one in the room

sarong that can be used as a beach blanket

hair straightener

bathing suit rinse solution to get chlorine out

• Like 1

1 hour ago, YVRteacher said:

sea bands for wrists to prevent seasickness

conditioner if I’m in a regular cabin and not a suite or Haven

Hydroflask water bottle

Yeti mug

two small magnetic clips

post it notes

and these days I pack a pen since the last few cruises haven’t had one in the room

sarong that can be used as a beach blanket

hair straightener

bathing suit rinse solution to get chlorine out

my last cruise I didn't have a pen in the room, and I thought it was just an oversight for my room.  I went to guest services and they gave me one.  Guess I'll have to start remembering to bring my own.  I actually only need the pen to fill out the breakfast door hanger.  I'm actually surprised they haven't moved this to the app yet.

8 hours ago, Travelling2Some said:

Great tip.  My first job (back when dinosaurs ruled the earth) was in an airline's lost luggage department.  The job was mostly about being verbally abused all day, lol.  (Luckily I had attended parochial schools.)  But the most important thing I learned was to make your luggage stand out visually in some way.  We had a huge room full of black suitcases with no distinguishing features.  Frankly, nobody ever bothered to look through those.  We focused on the bags we had some hope of spotting from the description. 

We love these as they are always easy to spot. 🙂  Sophie not liking that they are out of the closet.

20211121_132742_resized.jpg

• Like 14

5 hours ago, cruiseat50 said:

We love these as they are always easy to spot. 🙂  Sophie not liking that they are out of the closet.

20211121_132742_resized.jpg

Ah, poor baby! She looks so worried. Great idea for your luggage, though - love the graphic! We looked at something like this but weren't sure how much TSA would like it, though, so we have multicolor ribbons on the handles and these (loud) print luggage strap(s) that go around each of our blue suitcases. We always spot our bags right away.  https://www.amazon.com/Adjustable-Travel-Luggage-Suitcase-Accessories/dp/B07KLQCBNJ/ref=sr_1_24?crid=2TKY8CHG2AG70&keywords=luggage+straps&qid=1666871715&qu=eyJxc2MiOiI2LjgzIiwicXNhIjoiNi40OCIsInFzcCI6IjYuMDUifQ%3D%3D&sprefix=luggage+straps%2Caps%2C149&sr=8-24

(Give Sophie a hug for me!)

15 hours ago, Robkat said:

Lots of good suggestions ... we use most of these.

One item we use that's indispensable and hasn't yet been mentioned:

Collapsible cloth hanging shelves

With NCL's lack of open shelves and drawers, we use these plus the scant few shelves the closets do provide.  We like these better than the cloth storage bins since we can actually see what's on each shelf.  Love these.

100_4597.JPG

Another vote for the hanging shelves.  Here's mine - just add a couple of compression bags and one suitcase is all you need.

Amazon.com: FAMKIT Luggage Organizer Portable Hanging Travel Shelves Storage Bag for Travel Luggage Space Saving : Home & Kitchen

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, NikiPinkston said:

Ah, poor baby! She looks so worried. Great idea for your luggage, though - love the graphic! We looked at something like this but weren't sure how much TSA would like it, though, so we have multicolor ribbons on the handles and these (loud) print luggage strap(s) that go around each of our blue suitcases. We always spot our bags right away.  https://www.amazon.com/Adjustable-Travel-Luggage-Suitcase-Accessories/dp/B07KLQCBNJ/ref=sr_1_24?crid=2TKY8CHG2AG70&keywords=luggage+straps&qid=1666871715&qu=eyJxc2MiOiI2LjgzIiwicXNhIjoiNi40OCIsInFzcCI6IjYuMDUifQ%3D%3D&sprefix=luggage+straps%2Caps%2C149&sr=8-24

(Give Sophie a hug for me!)

Thanks.  We might add these straps to our collection of "luggage signalling".

We have strips of very bright and very tacky wide tape stuck to the outside of our checked suitcases in several places each.  (Recently, it's been "sparkly tape", something that kids would probably love!) Those stay on a surprisingly long time, for many trips.  But these straps may be better.

In addition we have two "things" for the handle of each case.  One is the tacky/ugly collection of short ribbons attached to side of each handle.  More recently, we added a rubberized grip for each handle.  Those wrap completely around the handle and sort of cushion it, but there's also a definite texture to the grip.  And, of course, a garish color again. 😉

We can spot our luggage quite some distance away and then keep an eye on them until we've got 'em.

Yup, we fit right in when we arrive at a nice sedate 5-star hotel - ha! 🙄

GC

• Haha 2

On 10/26/2022 at 6:19 AM, KateQ22003 said:

You aren't. Regular toilet paper can do a real number on the ship's system.

Hmm, news to me. I've never had anyone tell me I couldn't have it, though we have ended up in the naughty room for other things...

On 10/26/2022 at 8:54 AM, libtrek said:

Got this idea from a relative. Use your phone to take pictures of passport, both sides of credit cards you are taking, the lane marker in the park/ride lot (learned this one the hard way, lost the little slip), your cabin door. Delete after vacation.

Sure, this works great...until your phone gets stolen. If someone steals our daybag in a port, then they would end up with our cards and the phone that has the photos of them. Hence the photocopies we keep in the room. 

16 hours ago, Travelling2Some said:

Great tip.  My first job (back when dinosaurs ruled the earth) was in an airline's lost luggage department....But the most important thing I learned was to make your luggage stand out visually in some way.  

The modern day version of this is to put Air Pods in your luggage. You can then track it with your phone and tell the lost luggage people exactly where your luggage is. You also have the peace of mind that your luggage has actually made it onto the ship or plane before you get reunited with it. 

On 10/25/2022 at 10:29 AM, JamieLogical said:

I can't believe I forgot to mention my Rebound Patches and Liquid IV packets to accommodate all of my heavy drinking!

I belong to a Disney Day Drinking Group and also going to Nashville two weeks from today and on both my FB groups they talk about the Liquid IV packets. SOOO, I had to get them for my Nashville trip since I plan on 12+ hours of drinking a day (just like a cruise or any vacation LOL).  I am usually good about

drinking my water but thought this would give me a little extra help. I ended up buying the Drip Drop, since it is less sugar and got the same great reviews as Liquid IV.  If all goes well, they will be a staple for my cruises too and will bring in July on the Joy.

On 10/25/2022 at 11:52 AM, NikiPinkston said:

Packing cubes! Since there are no drawers, I just take them out of my suitcase and place them on the shelves & it's a great way to stay organized.

I use Packing Cubes for everything I pack. I also use/bring 1-2 extra large ones and put our dirty clothes in the cubes. This way, when I pack to go home, I just put the cube back in the luggage. Then, when home, I just take the cube(s) out and throw it down my basement for laundry. It keeps everything compact.

• Like 1

As for copies of Passports, or meds/prescriptions, etc...

Keep a backup copy in the cloud.

No one can steal them along with your phone or laptop.  You can access them from anywhere, if something happens to the physical versions.

We keep copies of tickets, itineraries, guide contact info... everything has a copy in the cloud when we travel.

GC

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, chloe173 said:

The modern day version of this is to put Air Pods in your luggage. You can then track it with your phone and tell the lost luggage people exactly where your luggage is. You also have the peace of mind that your luggage has actually made it onto the ship or plane before you get reunited with it. 

We use Tiles to track our bags per great advice from another excellent thread on CC. 

We also take pictures of bags at pier drop off as back up proof we brought them should they go missing.  NCL tried to tell one passenger that he "must have left his bag at the airport" when his bag never arrived in his cabin after he dropped it off with the porters.  REALLY? He showed them the photo of his bags in the port and that shut them up.  Never did get his bag though.  🥴

On 10/25/2022 at 6:47 PM, farjar said:

A pencil with several wraps of duct tape on it for emergencies.

Non-Residue Tape (good painters tape)

• Duct tape can leave residue.
  • I use a good non-residue painters tape aka masking tape good for posting notes for the steward and sealing up the fragile laundry bag. If you need anything so heavy duty as duct tape you should probably ask the steward or ships engineer for help.
  • i think i read somewhere that it's prohibited to tape decorative items on the cabin door now for whatever reason (safety or damage/residue on the door). Inside the cabin the steward probably won't say anything unless the tape leaves a residue.

Empty Zip loc freezer bags (large and small)

• For travel documents - Keeps them hand, in one place and dry in case you it rains or you want to mix up with wet clothing or swimwear.
  • For just enough disinfecting wipes to wipe down heavy-touch surfaces
  • - For just enough flushable 100% biodegradeable sewer safe bathroom wipes such as Cottonelle.
  • For a one or two tide pods or a little powdered detergent for spot cleaning or washing small items.

Extra charging phone cable and adapter

• Very difficult to get if you lose one. Gift shop does not sell every type charging cable. On two cruises I saw the gift shop only had one for iphones.

Anything you can't live without (medication) divided between check in and carry on luggage.

Your significant other.

Edited by kylenyc

3 minutes ago, kylenyc said:

- For just enough flushable bathroom wipes

Please don't flush these. They would back up my septic system. We live in the woods, so no municipal system available. They would definitely back up a ship's system. Bring them if you must, but they're so not really flushable after all. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

Please don't flush these. They would back up my septic system. We live in the woods, so no municipal system available. They would definitely back up a ship's system. Bring them if you must, but they're so not really flushable after all. 

I've never had problems with cottonelle flushable wipes after 30 cruises but I'm careful and only use/flush one at a time. But I can a situation where things could go wrong 🙃

Cottonelle flushable wipes "break down immediately" and are "100% biodegradeable, plastic free, sewer safe" and "breakdown like toilet paper" Disclaimer - Manufacturer's claims not mine.

... waits for cheng to chastize me

Edited by kylenyc
  • Haha 2

21 hours ago, Laszlo said:

I also take photos of any checked baggage just before its handed to a porter. Will probably never need it but you never know. On two occasions the people in the cabin next to us never got their luggage. I remember someone coming to talk to them and the first question was what did the bag look like?

THIS!  Great idea!  My mom had her luggage delayed on a land trip in Europe. A picture of her luggage would have helped locate it, she was without for two weeks! BTW....Laszlo is such a wonderful name! Az én édes apámat Lászlónak hívták.

Edited by WindinmySails
  • Like 1

Re: wipes, here's a social media post  directly from a well known cruise employee, John Heald of Carnival. I wouldn't put money that any of them break down immediately enough to prevent plugging of a vacuum based toilet system. If it hasn't caused a problem, you might just be lucky that you don't have others in your section using them, too.

John Heald 

Poster based in the United Kingdom

Good Friday morning and before I continue to answer your questions over on Visitor’s Posts I have a plea from Luigi the Plumber and his mates across our fleet of ships.
Luigi hates two things.
Anyone who doesn’t cook pasta like his Mama and………………wet wipes or as Luigi would say “ Weta Wipers, I hata the bastardi “
Yep, Luigi and all our plumbers hate Wet Wipes because despite the signs that plead with you not to flush them down the suction toilet system they still do. And this results in Luigi having to put on the long glove and shoving his arm up a pipe full of the devils dumplings so that the toilets in that cabin section will start flushing again.
Of course back when many of you reading this were children you never had wet sodding wipes. When the Heald family were out and my sister Suedrip or me had chocolate or other food around our gobs our Mum would take a tissue and spit into it and then wipe our faces. Spit was the wet wipe of those days
These days there are wet wipes for babies, wet wipes for adult bottoms whose arse cheeks are far too sensitive to use toilet paper. There are wet wipes that smell of lemon, or lavender, or vanilla or Chanel number 5 FFS. The world it seems has gone crazy for wet wipes and the wet wipes are breaking our toilet system.
Please then, on behalf of Luigi the Plumber can I ask you not to put these into the toilet and flush. If you use them for any reason drop them in the sanitary bags and let your stateroom steward know and Ketut will dispose of them.
Luigi says “ Saluti e buona giornata e per favore usa la carta igienica “
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, weltek said:

Re: wipes, here's a social media post  directly from a well known cruise employee, John Heald of Carnival. I wouldn't put money that any of them break down immediately enough to prevent plugging of a vacuum based toilet system. If it hasn't caused a problem, you might just be lucky that you don't have others in your section using them, too.

John Heald 

Good Friday morning and before I continue to answer your questions over on Visitor’s Posts I have a plea from Luigi the Plumber and his mates across our fleet of ships.
Luigi hates two things.
Anyone who doesn’t cook pasta like his Mama and………………wet wipes or as Luigi would say “ Weta Wipers, I hata the bastardi “
Yep, Luigi and all our plumbers hate Wet Wipes because despite the signs that plead with you not to flush them down the suction toilet system they still do. And this results in Luigi having to put on the long glove and shoving his arm up a pipe full of the devils dumplings so that the toilets in that cabin section will start flushing again.
Of course back when many of you reading this were children you never had wet sodding wipes. When the Heald family were out and my sister Suedrip or me had chocolate or other food around our gobs our Mum would take a tissue and spit into it and then wipe our faces. Spit was the wet wipe of those days
These days there are wet wipes for babies, wet wipes for adult bottoms whose arse cheeks are far too sensitive to use toilet paper. There are wet wipes that smell of lemon, or lavender, or vanilla or Chanel number 5 FFS. The world it seems has gone crazy for wet wipes and the wet wipes are breaking our toilet system.
Please then, on behalf of Luigi the Plumber can I ask you not to put these into the toilet and flush. If you use them for any reason drop them in the sanitary bags and let your stateroom steward know and Ketut will dispose of them.
Luigi says “ Saluti e buona giornata e per favore usa la cSerioarta igienica “

"Greetings, have a good day, and please use the toilet paper!" Love that Luigi! LOL

Seriously, please don’t bring your own toilet paper, as the stuff provided is designed to work with the ship's vacuum sewer system. Anything other than that may not only block your toilet, but also affect the entire group of cabins on your sewage line. Not the way to win "most popular cruiser!"  (You can use your own toilet paper and “flushable” wipes if you throw them in the trash but, yuck.) In some cases, the cruise line may even charge you for repair expenses.

I agree with @cruisestitch: If you insist on bringing your own, please let us know which cruises and cabin numbers you have so we won't book anywhere near you, so when you cause a plumbing problem none of us will be affected while they repair the system.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

56 minutes ago, js said:

I use Packing Cubes for everything I pack. I also use/bring 1-2 extra large ones and put our dirty clothes in the cubes. This way, when I pack to go home, I just put the cube back in the luggage. Then, when home, I just take the cube(s) out and throw it down my basement for laundry. It keeps everything compact.

Great idea! I'm going to use this.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, weltek said:

John Heald 

Luigi hates two things.
Luigi says “ Saluti e buona giornata e per favore usa la carta igienica “

30+ cruises never had a problem or clogged line using wipes specially designed for flushing (Cottonelle). I posit that the risk of a flushable (keyword) wipe (not a baby wipe or another other kind of wipe) that breaks down in minutes has less risk of clogging the line than a child, an irresponsible adult, or the vast majority of passengers who are not on CC who are oblivious, throwing unacceptable objects down the toilet such as tissue paper, tampons, sanitary napkins, condoms, toys, gum, food, etc.

It's the responsibility of the flusher to understand the difference between a flushable wipe and a non-flushable baby wipe, facial tissue, disinfecting lysol wipe, etc.

Btw. Nickels and dimes and gratuities are not flushable. 🤣

...hands @chengkp75 a wet noodle to slap me around with. I'm guessing he'll agree don't flush anything down the toilet except the transparent 1 micron thick NCL supplied toilet paper.

Edited by kylenyc
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, WindinmySails said:

THIS!  Great idea!  My mom had her luggage delayed on a land trip in Europe. A picture of her luggage would have helped locate it, she was without for two weeks! BTW....Laszlo is such a wonderful name! Az én édes apámat Lászlónak hívták.

Thanks! Named after my father who is from Budapest

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, kylenyc said:

30+ cruises never had a problem or clogged line using wipes specially designed for flushing (Cottonelle). I posit that the risk of a flushable (keyword) wipe (not a baby wipe or another other kind of wipe) that breaks down in minutes has less risk of clogging the line than a child, an irresponsible adult, or the vast majority of passengers who are not on CC who are oblivious, throwing unacceptable objects down the toilet such as tissue paper, tampons, sanitary napkins, condoms, toys, gum, food, etc.

It's the responsibility of the flusher to understand the difference between a flushable wipe and a non-flushable baby wipe, facial tissue, disinfecting lysol wipe, etc.

Btw. Nickels and dimes and gratuities are not flushable. 🤣

I dunno, maybe you've been lucky...? There are numerous websites that discuss the problem with flushable wipes, but this one takes the cake!

https://www.wbay.com/2022/02/19/flushable-wipes-cause-12-hundred-foot-clog-green-bay-sewers/

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, NikiPinkston said:

I dunno, maybe you've been lucky...? There are numerous websites that discuss the problem with flushable wipes, but this one takes the cake!

https://www.wbay.com/2022/02/19/flushable-wipes-cause-12-hundred-foot-clog-green-bay-sewers/

Then there's this. Refer to my previous comment on the risk posed by flushable wipes vs the much greater risk of children and irresponsible or oblivious adults flushing something clearly not intended to be flushed (non-flushable wipes, condoms, tampons, sanitary napkins, toys, etc.)

https://www.nonwovens-industry.com/issues/2021-09/view_features/flushability-report/

"Nonwoven Industry" "flushable wipes advisory committee" who would have thunk it.

"Analyses of several U.S. and U.K. sewer systems have shown that wipes engineered to be flushed make up a negligible percentage of sewer clogs, as low as 1-2%. Instead blockages tend to be caused by products not intended to be flushed like baby and cleaning wipes, paper towels and feminine hygiene items..."

Edited by kylenyc
  • Like 1