1st Trans-Atlantic, questions….

kent4489

Hello,

We just booked our first trans-Atlantic. November, this year. After the last 3 VERY port intensive cruises, we look forward to doing pretty much nothing. But, I’m just curious, during the day…what clothing will I need? I’m kind of thinking capri leggings with tunics, casual wear. Not sure how warm (or cool) to expect. I know, it could be either or, but hate too pack too much

Also, am I correct in thinking that there will be no White Night and also NO Azamazing/Destination evening?

Thank you.

• Like 1

We did the southerly Atlantic crossing from Lisbon to Rio and it was hot and sunny all the way to Brazil. The only rain we saw was in El Salvador in Brazil - and then it poured. I wore swimwear with a sun dress cover-up every day. No Azamazing evening but we did have a White Night.

• Like 2

Onward Lisbon to Miami?  I'd pack layers. The itinerary takes you on a more northerly North Atlantic route where the water is cooler (than say a first stop in one of the Caribbean islands). You may luck out with the temperatures, but it might be chilly at times. 

Phil 

Edited by excitedofharpenden
  • Like 4

Pack layers!  I found a long cardigan and a lightweight fleece invaluable.  The issue isn’t only temperature but wind but I could wear lightweight “sunny day” items and pop one of those on.  Once I’d found a space out of the wind, the cardigan/fleece was discarded but I’d have been pretty chilly getting to it without them

(and data point it all depends on what you’re used to, our average summer temperatures are around 17c so we tolerate cool and wet pretty well.  Others we saw did not) 

Edited by uktog
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, kent4489 said:

Thanks for the replies. Yes, Lisbon to Miami. We're in SW Florida and accustomed to hot temps, so I will probably find the crossing to be chilly. 

We, also from SWFL, are on this cruise.   We expect Lisbon to be cool at the end Nov, but Miami to be "usual"... so I'd expect every temp in between.   As with you, after IAN, we are looking forward to DOING NOTHING, and having the Az crew take care of us!

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Mackdogmolly said:

@Grandma Cruising, good to hear! We’re doing the opposite route - Rio to Lisbon in March. I know it will be hot in Rio but not sur what to expect for the rest of the cruise. Advice welcome!

When we did it it was hot all the way. Lisbon was still pretty warm and we had glorious sun and warmth all the way across. The only rain was in Salvador de Bahia where it absolutely poured down all day - typical tropical storm. One interesting thing was that one day the crew put on an exhibition in the Cabaret which had a section for each department of the ship. There was also the ‘ceremony’ for crossing the equator which was fun.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Grandma Cruising said:

When we did it it was hot all the way. Lisbon was still pretty warm and we had glorious sun and warmth all the way across. The only rain was in Salvador de Bahia where it absolutely poured down all day - typical tropical storm. One interesting thing was that one day the crew put on an exhibition in the Cabaret which had a section for each department of the ship. There was also the ‘ceremony’ for crossing the equator which was fun.

Thanks Denise! I was hoping for warm weather, but will bring some layers to be safe. It sounds like a blast!

On 10/27/2022 at 5:17 PM, DS said:

We, also from SWFL, are on this cruise.   We expect Lisbon to be cool at the end Nov, but Miami to be "usual"... so I'd expect every temp in between.   As with you, after IAN, we are looking forward to DOING NOTHING, and having the Az crew take care of us!

DS, I think I  have noticed that you have been cruising nonstop since we had the hurricane! 🙂 We are looking forward to doing nothing. We were on Onward this summer, nonstop ports every day. Loved it, but we were exhausted. Then we did a 3 week “road trip” in France in Sept. Got home the day before the hurricane and had a very busy day getting ready for the hurricane. We live one mile from Bonita Beach….devastation. We were fortunate with little damage and no electricity for only 3 days. The other day, we were able to go onto Ft. Myers Beach to see our former home…or what was left of it. I just wanted to cry. Anyway, it’s been a hectic month since the hurricane and we are looking forward to a no brainer holiday. We just booked this yesterday. Got the same cabin that we had this summer and we will have it again for 18 days in March.

• Like 2

Hello,

We are about to book transatlantic on the Onward for November 23.  First time Azamara and first time transatlantic.

So I hope I may put this question. Will there be any entertainment during sea days? Travelled on Celebrity the last cruises and really enjoy calm days with a lot of reading. Thank you!

25 minutes ago, black forest said:

Hello,

We are about to book transatlantic on the Onward for November 23.  First time Azamara and first time transatlantic.

So I hope I may put this question. Will there be any entertainment during sea days? Travelled on Celebrity the last cruises and really enjoy calm days with a lot of reading. Thank you!

Yes there will be various quiz activities including a daily progressive quiz where scores mount up during the voyage, craft activities and talks. The talks are not Azamaras strong suite but you might strike lucky. We did when the onboard magician did talks teaching us basic tricks 

• Thanks 1

Look forward to seeing you onboard Kent.  We will be on this cruise.  Weather as said is unpredictable.  We have had great weather this time of year on anther sailing, but a more southern route and less great weather going east in spring, but still parent of nice days.  Layers and some flexibility.  Let’s hope for sun.

We are doing, like you, about 3 weeks of road tripping in France before flying to Lisbon.  We spend a similar amount of time touring last fall, before a regent Splendor TA (which we loved).  Maybe we can discuss our French experiences and share ideas onboard.  

Edited by Pizzasteve

On 11/3/2022 at 4:30 AM, uktog said:

Yes there will be various quiz activities including a daily progressive quiz where scores mount up during the voyage, craft activities and talks. The talks are not Azamaras strong suite but you might strike lucky. We did when the onboard magician did talks teaching us basic tricks 

Our crossing, some years back had a geneticist as a speaker.  He talked about the evolution of DNA as proof etc and each talk included why the number of markers went up ot other things that changed.  The cases were interesting and the Cabaret was packed! 

For what it is worth, we did start into some rougher seas but were able to divert a bit.  Much better than the North Atlantic where we hit 28-30 ft waves near the Shetland Islands! .