MDR Menu Question

RyanMFitz1

Thank you.  My mom loves the lobster tail.  Always been small but she makes up for it for sure.  LOL  

I myself always liked the prime rib option that night as its always been a favoriate "treat" of mine.  

Thank you in 🙂 

5 minutes ago, RyanMFitz1 said:

Thank you.  My mom loves the lobster tail.  Always been small but she makes up for it for sure.  LOL  

I myself always liked the prime rib option that night as its always been a favoriate "treat" of mine.  

Thank you in 🙂 

You may want to consider the Crown Grill. lobster tails are bigger and better and the steaks are fabulous 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Kay S said:

They do a lobster tail one night.  Very small.  It comes with risotto, which is not very good, IMO.

We had lobster tail on the Royal recently on formal night in the MDR.  It was outstanding and larger than on the last few cruises we’ve taken.  They didn’t even serve it with the risotto but another kind of rice that was really good.  It was a welcomed change following some not so great lobster on the risotto.  However, the lobster tail in the Crown Grill was even better than that that.  

I believe the beef dish was not prime rib but beef Wellington, which my DH thought was really very good.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

31 minutes ago, RyanMFitz1 said:

I am cruising on the Sky Princess 1/28/23 and been looking at menu's on the ships but don't see if for the "Formal/Elegant"  nights, if they still do the lobster tails and prime rib/steak is still an option?

It’s usually on the 2nd formal night.  Order 2 if you want more, no problem.

Have fun!

Good to hear that you might get a decent lobster tail in the MDR.

And, yes, if it is the way they have usually done it, Prime Rib is on the first embarkation night, and the 2nd Formal Night is when they have had the Beef Wellington and the Lobster tail.

On our last cruise, that was when they did the 'Mongolian BBQ' custom stir fry to order at the Buffet.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, PacnGoNow said:

It’s usually on the 2nd formal night.  Order 2 if you want more, no problem.

Have fun!

Be aware that ordering 2 often ends up with 2 full dinner plates. I used to be able to just get an extra lobster tail but the last few times I tried they would only provide the entire plate full of food.

2 minutes ago, Thrak said:

Be aware that ordering 2 often ends up with 2 full dinner plates. I used to be able to just get an extra lobster tail but the last few times I tried they would only provide the entire plate full of food.

Yes, it’s faster for them, they just grab it.

You can tell them initially, you want 2 lobster tails with my dinner, not 2 dinners.  DH always orders that way, to save them time too.

1 minute ago, PacnGoNow said:

Yes, it’s faster for them, they just grab it.

You can tell them initially, you want 2 lobster tails with my dinner, not 2 dinners.  DH always orders that way, to save them time too.

I tried that on our cruise in May and was told they had to bring the entire dinner. Stupid but Princess isn't exactly consistent with this sort of thing. It certainly won't hurt to ask up front and it may pay off as planned. Either way, one can get two tails.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, RyanMFitz1 said:

From our experience this past spring, the prime rib is not like it used to be.

Hopefully it was a one time experience and it'll improve next cruise. 

20 hours ago, Wishing on a star said:

Good to hear that you might get a decent lobster tail in the MDR.

And, yes, if it is the way they have usually done it, Prime Rib is on the first embarkation night, and the 2nd Formal Night is when they have had the Beef Wellington and the Lobster tail.

On our last cruise, that was when they did the 'Mongolian BBQ' custom stir fry to order at the Buffet.

It's now chili on the first night.  At least it is for the seven day cruises.

6 hours ago, MissP22 said:

From our experience this past spring, the prime rib is not like it used to be.

Hopefully it was a one time experience and it'll improve next cruise. 

I was on a cruise where a lady insisted it was ham and not beef.  From the processed taste and texture of my cut, I thought she had a point.  It was not a fresh cut of meat.  I quit ordering it after that. 

9 hours ago, Kay S said:

I was on a cruise where a lady insisted it was ham and not beef.  From the processed taste and texture of my cut, I thought she had a point.  It was not a fresh cut of meat.  I quit ordering it after that. 

I'll give them a pass from my last experience on our next trip and see how it goes. In past years it hasn't been bad, not great, but acceptable. 

On 10/27/2022 at 1:40 PM, Thrak said:

I tried that on our cruise in May and was told they had to bring the entire dinner. Stupid but Princess isn't exactly consistent with this sort of thing. It certainly won't hurt to ask up front and it may pay off as planned. Either way, one can get two tails.

On our August cruise I saw a lady order and receive two lobster tails in the MDR. I thought it somewhat ironic that in the Specialties the menus state “Enjoy an additional lobster tail for an additional $10.00”

1 hour ago, Asquare said:

We were on Enchanted two weeks ago & prime rib was on second formal night.  It was quite good this time around ( as compared to a Dec. 2021 cruise on Sky).

I'm glad to hear that, although it can change from cruise to cruise. 

I'm always skeptical to order a larger piece not knowing if it'll be good or not. 

8 hours ago, seachelt said:

On our August cruise I saw a lady order and receive two lobster tails in the MDR. I thought it somewhat ironic that in the Specialties the menus state “Enjoy an additional lobster tail for an additional $10.00

11 hours ago, seachelt said:

On our August cruise I saw a lady order and receive two lobster tails in the MDR. I thought it somewhat ironic that in the Specialties the menus state “Enjoy an additional lobster tail for an additional $10.00”

The lobster in the Crown Grill is better than the one in the MDR.  

On 10/27/2022 at 1:22 PM, Thrak said:

On our last outing, the waiter told us to order 2 lobster tails each.  It was brought out as a single order.  It was as I was finishing the second lobster tail that I noticed a slight tingling on my tongue and remembered that I wasn't supposed to eat too much shell fish ... Wellington and lobster next time.😄

On the other hand, on another cruise, I had the beef Wellington, and asked for a lobster tail a la carte, and the waiter refused to do it saying that I had to order the entire entree and he would only put in the order after I had finished the first entree.  I now know that I should have summoned a head waiter or just gotten up from the table to request a table away from that waiter.