Jeddah Saudi Arabia port

Newleno

Hello any information about this port/immigration to get to/thru the airport as quickly as possible would be most appreciated.  Ship scheduled to get in at 7am on Nov 23, trying to catch the first flight to Europe to catch another flight to USA to be home for Thanksgiving.  Any info, cost of transportation would be most appreciated.  Thanks

4 hours ago, SFtraveller said:

We're trying to find transportration to the port. KAEC is where the ship docks, right? If so, it's 62 miles to Jeddah and the airport is before that.

My understanding is that the cruise port is within the Jeddah Islamic Seaport complex in Jeddah about 19 miles from JED airport. (At least for my cruise ending on Nov 23)

Thank you. We just spoke with MSC and they did say Jeddah. I thought I saw KAEC somewhere in the itineraries. 

I booked a hotel online and clicked this box about airport pickup and this what came up to book an airport taxi to near the port $40. Perhaps it's cheaper to pick up a taxi at the port. Was told taxis are cheap. Uber is cheap. I was given a list by the KSA government of many rideshare companies.

They just told me that there is an app that starts with a "T" that everyone no longer required, however still needed to get into events and buses and some other things. It would be interesting to see what the requirement is from being on the ship to having that app to go to ashore. 

I read somewhere that commuter times are busy.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

We will have a port stop in Jeddah on MSC World Europa in early April. Any information you can pass on about this port stop would be greatly appreciated. We will just have a day stop and will continue on with the ship. Any help from MSC on getting the special cruise visa for Saudi Arabia?

30 minutes ago, 40yearcruiser said:

We will have a port stop in Jeddah on MSC World Europa in early April. Any information you can pass on about this port stop would be greatly appreciated. We will just have a day stop and will continue on with the ship. Any help from MSC on getting the special cruise visa for Saudi Arabia?

This thread is helpful:

If you have any specific questions, I'd be happy to help, Jeddah was a port of call on our Red Sea Cruise in Dec 22.

Thank you for your offer of information. First, did you enjoy visiting that port?  I'm concerned about the visa. We are from the USA. Did you get the evisa and how far in advance did you apply for it? Was it the special cruise visa and how much did it cost? I've googled but keep getting conflicting information. What did you do in port and was it a ship tour?  I've been trying to gather information about what to do but there isn't a lot out there that I've found so any sources of information would be very helpful.

Edited by 40yearcruiser

I purchased the eVisa last month. Australian but US is the same. Easy to do online as we'd just done the India visa and used the same passport photo and pdf of passport page. White background, neutral expression and 2x2. We took a selfie then used an online photo editing website that with a small fee produces the correct size and white background for every country. I just googled to find it. We had approval with a few minutes and it's valid for 12 months. We go to Jeddah in May. It's very expensive though. 

22 hours ago, 40yearcruiser said:

Thank you for your offer of information. First, did you enjoy visiting that port?  I'm concerned about the visa. We are from the USA. Did you get the evisa and how far in advance did you apply for it? Was it the special cruise visa and how much did it cost? I've googled but keep getting conflicting information. What did you do in port and was it a ship tour?  I've been trying to gather information about what to do but there isn't a lot out there that I've found so any sources of information would be very helpful.

We are Muslim so you used the opportunity to visit the Grand Mosque in Mecca; I don't think that would be an available option for you unless you are Muslim.

Another couple on our cruise did the Jeddah old city tour and found it quite underwhelming.

I tried very hard to get the transit visa (see my earlier reference to that thread), but didn't understand the process fully. I think if you are comfortable playing a game of "chicken" then the transit visa is much cheaper and a good option........for me the risk of not knowing whether I would have a visa or not till the day off arrival was too much. I opted for the Tourist Visa; it's very quick and gets approved and emailed within 5-10mins. 

Thanks for your reply. I'm glad you had the opportunity to go to Mecca, but that is not an option for us. We still have 2 ½ months before we get there so I am not going to rush into getting a visa yet. The evisa application websites I've found are through an agency and not the Saudi consulate and include a hefty "processing" fee. And I find no mention of the availability of the special maritime visa for cruise ship passengers. I want to explore all our options, including whether there are tours available that interest us, before I send off that amount of money. I hate to miss visiting that port but if it is super-expensive and there is little of interest it may be our best option to stay on the ship. 

On 1/16/2023 at 3:42 AM, 40yearcruiser said:

Thanks for your reply. I'm glad you had the opportunity to go to Mecca, but that is not an option for us. We still have 2 ½ months before we get there so I am not going to rush into getting a visa yet. The evisa application websites I've found are through an agency and not the Saudi consulate and include a hefty "processing" fee. And I find no mention of the availability of the special maritime visa for cruise ship passengers. I want to explore all our options, including whether there are tours available that interest us, before I send off that amount of money. I hate to miss visiting that port but if it is super-expensive and there is little of interest it may be our best option to stay on the ship. 

We were told if we didn't have the visa we would not be allowed to board the ship as Saudi asserts its control over the ship in their waters. And that includes locking down of all alcohol. 

This is the Govt site. https://visa.visitsaudi.com/

It is expensive at around $150 usd. 

I don't know what line you are cruising, but we are going on MSC and in digging around on their website I found a section for information about immigration and visas with instructions for how to apply for the transit visa in Saudi Arabia, which is much less expensive. Here is the link:

Cruise travel documents and Visas | MSC Cruises (msccruisesusa.com) 

If the above link doesn't work, go to the MSC homepage and scroll all the way to the bottom. Under Travel Info click on Before You Go. Then click on Travel Documents and Visas. There is a special section for Saudi Arabia Transit E-visa. It gives step by step instructions for completing the application. HOWEVER, there is a disclaimer that currently the application link has been having technical difficulties and sometimes the application doesn't go through. Since we still have a couple months before we cruise I will wait awhile before I try and hope that the "technical difficulties" are solved by then.

If you try this, please post whether you are successful in getting the visa and any hints you might have for making it work.

Edited by 40yearcruiser

We are on Viking. It seems that all visas are applied for on the one portal, however when we did ours a couple of weeks ago, the only option applicable was the tourists one, there was no option for the maritime one.  It's all incredibly confusing. I have no desire to visit Jeddah, it was added to our itinerary just a few weeks ago and was never in the plan. The tours offered are really basic and not worth all this hassle. 

Edited by Pushka

On 11/13/2022 at 2:34 PM, nuvolablue said:

Jeddah will be one of the ports of call on our cruise starting 18 December from Safaga, so keep us posted on how you get on with this.

I have a cruise coming up that also stops in Jeddah; would love to hear about your experiences.  Did you get an eVisa in advance? Did the cruise line get it?  Thanks.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I just applied for the tourist visa for Saudi Arabia. Now just to wait for it to be approved. Use the website http://visa.mofa.gov.sa  You first have to register with an email and password. When it asks for the type of visa, scroll down until it says Tourist. For mode of entry select By Sea. If you follow the instructions given on the MSC website (see my post above) it helps a lot. It took me more than one try to get the first one to save but in the end the applications were accepted. You pay by credit card--the application fee is $10.50 each. It never asked me for any other payments or to choose insurance, so I don't know if this is because we are from the US or if there was a glitch. Maybe they will send an email for more money after the application is received. Time will tell.

By the way, the MSC website says if you do not leave the ship you will not need a visa for Saudi Arabia.

Edited by 40yearcruiser

• 2 months later...

I recently had the pleasure of embarking on a Jeddah city tour, and I must say it was an incredible experience. From the moment I arrived at Jeddah Port, everything was meticulously arranged, and the tour exceeded my expectations in every way.

First and foremost, the team at Saudi Arabia Tours ( https://saudiarabiatours.net/ )

was incredibly professional and knowledgeable. They greeted me with warm hospitality, making me feel immediately at ease. Our tour guide, Ahmed, was not only well-versed in the history and culture of Jeddah but also displayed a genuine passion for his city. His insights and anecdotes truly brought the city to life and made the tour highly engaging.

The Jeddah city tour itself was a perfect blend of historical landmarks and modern attractions. We started by exploring the enchanting Old Town, known as Al-Balad. The narrow streets, beautiful architecture, and vibrant markets were an absolute feast for the senses. Ahmed expertly navigated us through the bustling alleyways, sharing captivating stories about the city's rich past.

One of the highlights of the tour was visiting the historic district of Al-Naseef. This iconic area is home to several beautifully restored buildings that serve as a testament to Jeddah's cultural heritage. Walking among the traditional coral stone houses and absorbing the atmosphere was truly awe-inspiring.

As we ventured further, we discovered the iconic King Fahd Fountain, an astonishing display of water and lights that gracefully decorates the Jeddah skyline. The sheer size and beauty of the fountain left me in awe, providing an excellent photo opportunity.

Additionally, the tour included a visit to the enchanting Corniche, a picturesque waterfront promenade stretching along the Red Sea. The views were simply breathtaking, and I spent a serene moment taking in the sight of the azure waters against the backdrop of Jeddah's modern skyline. It was a serene escape from the city's vibrant energy.

The vehicles were well-maintained, and the tour itinerary was well-planned, allowing us to make the most of our time in each location without feeling rushed.

I also appreciated the opportunity to interact with the local culture and cuisine. Ahmed guided us to a traditional restaurant where we savored authentic Arabian dishes, tantalizing our taste buds with flavors unique to the region. It was a delightful culinary experience that added another layer of authenticity to the tour.

My Jeddah city tour with Saudi Arabia Tours was an absolute delight. From the knowledgeable guide to the well-structured itinerary, everything was top-notch. I gained a deeper understanding and appreciation for the rich history and vibrant culture of Jeddah. I highly recommend Saudi Arabia Tours https://saudiarabiatours.net/  to anyone looking to explore this fascinating city, and I can't wait to plan my next adventure with them.

We are a couple on Oceania Riviera with a scheduled stop on December 12, 2023, in Jeddah port.

Looking at reviews and suggestions for an independent shore excursion at this port we decided also to book the Jeddah Historical Tour with Saudi Arabia Tours. (saudiarabiatours.net).

They quickly responded to all my communications and questions. Also, they provided a detailed description of the tour and booking was very easy. If you're looking for a private tour in this port this will be an alternative to explore.

• 2 months later...
On 2/28/2023 at 7:09 PM, 40yearcruiser said:

I just applied for the tourist visa for Saudi Arabia. Now just to wait for it to be approved. Use the website http://visa.mofa.gov.sa  You first have to register with an email and password. When it asks for the type of visa, scroll down until it says Tourist. For mode of entry select By Sea. If you follow the instructions given on the MSC website (see my post above) it helps a lot. It took me more than one try to get the first one to save but in the end the applications were accepted. You pay by credit card--the application fee is $10.50 each. It never asked me for any other payments or to choose insurance, so I don't know if this is because we are from the US or if there was a glitch. Maybe they will send an email for more money after the application is received. Time will tell.

By the way, the MSC website says if you do not leave the ship you will not need a visa for Saudi Arabia.

Did it work? I am planning to apply on this website http://visa.mofa.gov.sa

for our SilverSea cruise in Nov. I know I am in advance, but I want to apply now…

Thank you for updating your experience.

Chantal

Lover of Africa 🦍🦏🦛🐘🦓🦒🦁🐒

• 1 month later...
On 1/16/2023 at 6:15 PM, 40yearcruiser said:

Here is the link:

Cruise travel documents and Visas | MSC Cruises (msccruisesusa.com) 

If the above link doesn't work, go to the MSC homepage and scroll all the way to the bottom. Under Travel Info click on Before You Go. Then click on Travel Documents and Visas. There is a special section for Saudi Arabia Transit E-visa. It gives step by step instructions for completing the application.

Thanks for this info. Like everyone else with a stop in Saudi Arabia (my stop is in Jeddah), I am trying to apply for the cheaper cruise transit visa. However, after clicking on the link you provided, the sub-link that is supposed to give step-by-step instructions no longer works (just sends you to the general website). Did you by chance save, or remember what the step-by-step info entailed? How do I find the cruise transit category? I do not see it when I go to http://visa.mofa.gov.sa 

I would be very interested to hear from anyone who stopped in Jeddah and what they thought of Jeddah's sights (non-Muslim, therefore unable to go to Mecca), whether they booked a tour etc? Did MSC provide a shuttle to the old town? Were there taxis or Uber at the port? Is it easy to tour on your own?

Many thanks!!

miss.scribbles:  I am trying to remember all the steps to apply for the visa. I've looked through my files from when we were preparing for the trip but unfortunately didn't copy down the instructions. I went to the website and tried to recreate how I applied but could only get so far because I couldn't remember the login I used. Have you registered an account yet? In case you haven't already done it these are the steps to get that far:

Website is visa.mofa.gov..sa

When the website loads click on the Visitors Service box

On the next screen click on Visa application from Saudi Representative Abroad

On the left panel, Entry of Individual visitors to Saudi Arabia click on the Registration (near the bottom of the box) to set up a login. After you have created the login go back to this page and enter your login info. This is where I get stuck because I can't find my notes with the login I used. Unfortunately I can't remember how I got to the specific area for the Entry by Sea application. If I find any further information in the stack of travel info I've accumulated I'll post it. It was much less expensive than a traditional visa. Hopefully someone else saved the instructions since the link on the MSC website no longer works.

We got a notice that it was approved but the actual link to the visa arrived in our email about 4 days before our arrival at Jeddah. MSC set up a printing area and we just took the email on our phone and they scanned the QR code and printed the visa for us. 

We were in Jeddah in April. We took an excursion from the ship because we weren't sure just what to expect. We did an excursion that went to the Corniche and to Al Balad (the old town). We were there during Ramadan so a lot of things were closed. I don't remember that MSC offered a shuttle to Al Balad.

Good luck getting your visa!

Guess what! I happened to think that the info might be in the Roll Call for our cruise and Voila! I had posted the steps there. Here is what worked for us:

On the visa platform screen that pops up select Visitors. On the next screen select the far right window on the first row for Request for a visa from Saudi representations abroad. On the next screen click on Registration under the captcha to enter your email and select a password (you will need this for all the visas you are requesting). They will send you an email with a link to activate the account. Sign in with the email you registered. Click on Add a new application and you're ready to enter your information. For the visa type, scroll down the list and select Transit. For the Transport Mode select By Sea. Enter your personal information (and upload a photo) and when you've finished click Save. If all goes well it should return to the dashboard and issue you an application number. From the dashboard you can choose the link to Pay and also to print the application. I was only prompted to pay once for each visa. Be sure to print it so you will have a record of the application number and proof that you completed an application.

Hope this still works.

On 9/20/2023 at 9:30 PM, 40yearcruiser said:

Guess what! I happened to think that the info might be in the Roll Call for our cruise and Voila! I had posted the steps there. Here is what worked for us:

On the visa platform screen that pops up select Visitors. On the next screen select the far right window on the first row for Request for a visa from Saudi representations abroad. On the next screen click on Registration under the captcha to enter your email and select a password (you will need this for all the visas you are requesting). They will send you an email with a link to activate the account. Sign in with the email you registered. Click on Add a new application and you're ready to enter your information. For the visa type, scroll down the list and select Transit. For the Transport Mode select By Sea. Enter your personal information (and upload a photo) and when you've finished click Save. If all goes well it should return to the dashboard and issue you an application number. From the dashboard you can choose the link to Pay and also to print the application. I was only prompted to pay once for each visa. Be sure to print it so you will have a record of the application number and proof that you completed an application.

Hope this still works.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!