Expiring cruise certificates

gburleigh

We booked a Princess cruise for travel in April, 2020, of course that was cancelled.  Two weeks ago I received an email that I had two credit certificates for $816 ea. and that I had until Dec. 31, 2022 to use them.  To my knowledge I had not received any earlier emails about this or certainly no letter from Princess.  Problem is that my wife has a broken foot and cannot travel by then even if we could travel.

I spoke to Princess and they basically told me "too bad, you have had two years to use them" (oops, did they forget they weren't sailing for all of those two years?).  They are not transferable and cannot be used for a future cruise past Dec. 31.

So, I'm reaching out to fellow sailors if anyone has experienced this or knows of someone dealing with a similar situation.  I did think about using them on one of their cruise between now and then, cancelling it a few before with note from my wife's doctor that she cannot travel.  Any thought would be appreciated.  Thank you.

Gary & Becky

27 minutes ago, gburleigh said:

We booked a Princess cruise for travel in April, 2020, of course that was cancelled.  Two weeks ago I received an email that I had two credit certificates for $816 ea. and that I had until Dec. 31, 2022 to use them.  To my knowledge I had not received any earlier emails about this or certainly no letter from Princess.  Problem is that my wife has a broken foot and cannot travel by then even if we could travel.

I spoke to Princess and they basically told me "too bad, you have had two years to use them" (oops, did they forget they weren't sailing for all of those two years?).  They are not transferable and cannot be used for a future cruise past Dec. 31.

So, I'm reaching out to fellow sailors if anyone has experienced this or knows of someone dealing with a similar situation.  I did think about using them on one of their cruise between now and then, cancelling it a few before with note from my wife's doctor that she cannot travel.  Any thought would be appreciated.  Thank you.

Gary & Becky

Welcome to CC.  You should post this on the Princess forum.  Here is the link for you.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/119-princess-cruises/

1 hour ago, gburleigh said:

Gary & Becky

For others who may read this post ... you probably don't receive any special notices about future cruise credits from any cruise line.  During the virus hysteria, when a cruise was cancelled, credits were established and communicated.  The pax were expected to read, understand and monitor them.  Anyone with  credits from a cruise line or an airline should figure out the best way to keep track of it all.  Many, many credits have been extended and it's important to know exactly where you stand.

During the shut down we all had the choice of a cash refund or a FCC with expiration but sweetened with a bonus.  The original expirations were one year but they were extended when the lockdowns extended.  

One option you might carefully review is booking a cruise then invoking the cruise cancellation policy to receive another one year FCC.  I assume Princess still has the Covid cancellation policy as Holland America does. Proceed with due diligence 

I am a bird in hand type of person and took the cash.

Edited by Mary229
  • Like 1