Dress for evening venues

Ceegeefl

25 minutes ago, Ceegeefl said:

If you have dinner in the World Cafe following an excursion and are dressed casually,perhaps in Jeans, should you change into dressier attire before going to the Star theater,Explorer lounge etc?

As per Viking:

What is the dress code?

During the day, dress is casual including shorts (if the season is warm), slacks or jeans and comfortable shoes for walking tours. Swimsuits, brief shorts, cover-ups and exercise attire should be reserved for the Fitness Center, pool areas and Sports Deck. There are no “formal nights” in the evening; evening dress is “elegant casual” for all dining venues, performances and special events. On these occasions, required attire for ladies includes a dress, skirt or slacks with a sweater or blouse; for gentlemen, trousers and a collared shirt. A tie and jacket are optional; jeans are not permitted. The evening dress excludes World Café where the dress remains casual after 6:00 PM. 

Some shore excursions visit religious sites that require modesty of dress. To avoid being denied entry, we recommend men wear long pants and refrain from sleeveless shirts; and for women, clothing that covers the knees and tops that are not sleeveless or too revealing.

Edited by Iloveketo
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

In my experience, people adhere pretty closely to the written dress code, as noted above.  I can't recall ever seeing anyone in Explorers or the theatre in jeans on any of our cruises.  (Which of course doesn't mean it hasn't happened on those cruises or any one of countless others.)  But as a general rule of thumb in terms of thinking about how to pack, I'd recommend planning on no jeans after 6 p.m., other than in the World Cafe.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Interesting because we have seen everything including bath robes in the WC for breakfast?

This has often been a topic of discussion.  

We adhere to the written dress code for all venues, but we have seen jeans and even sleeveless shirts on men in the dining venues and the theatre.

I have also read on CC that sometimes a dining venue has turned someone away from The Restaurant for wearing jeans, but we have never experienced that.

We travel on Viking because we do NOT want the formal nights that other cruise lines have, but we do like to come back from an excursion and shower and change into something that is a little more dressy and it just makes us feel better and "lifts" the whole experience to a higher level.  We also enjoy seeing everyone else lifting that standard.

• Like 13

3 hours ago, CDNPolar said:

Interesting because we have seen everything including bath robes in the WC for breakfast?

This has often been a topic of discussion.  

We adhere to the written dress code for all venues, but we have seen jeans and even sleeveless shirts on men in the dining venues and the theatre.

I have also read on CC that sometimes a dining venue has turned someone away from The Restaurant for wearing jeans, but we have never experienced that.

We travel on Viking because we do NOT want the formal nights that other cruise lines have, but we do like to come back from an excursion and shower and change into something that is a little more dressy and it just makes us feel better and "lifts" the whole experience to a higher level.  We also enjoy seeing everyone else lifting that standard.

It is often impossible to even stop in your cabin when excursions run late. I agree it’s nice to take a shower, etc. but will miss dinner if we do that when the excursion returns at 8:30.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Squawkman said:

It is often impossible to even stop in your cabin when excursions run late. I agree it’s nice to take a shower, etc. but will miss dinner if we do that when the excursion returns at 8:30.

There will always be exceptions to the rules.... certainly if you are at risk of missing a meal, exceptions must be made.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, oskidunker said:

I may bring a jacket a few ties. Used enjoy that when working. Sadly no one dresses up anymore. Recent Oceania cruise saw several men wearing jackets, which surprised me.

What's sad about not dressing up?

• Like 1

What's wrong with jeans?  My jeans are more expensive than the khakis I have.  😝

Anyhow.  Actually in office today.  One great thing about the pandemic - nobody cares about what I wear at work anymore!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Selion said:

What's wrong with jeans?  My jeans are more expensive than the khakis I have.  😝

Anyhow.  Actually in office today.  One great thing about the pandemic - nobody cares about what I wear at work anymore!

I totally agree with you on jeans. Some outfits with jeans look classier than some dresses I have seen, but I try to respect what Viking states as their dress code. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, duquephart said:

What's sad about not dressing up?

This is from someone who asked whether the Shoe Shine Service on Viking could be trusted to clean their "shell cordovan longwing Bluchers". 

Just joshing ! However I do have a long memory. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, Iloveketo said:

There are no “formal nights” in the evening; evening dress is “elegant casual” for all dining venues, performances and special events.

We’ve always interpreted this to mean the restaurants (excluding World Buffet) and theater. Not the lounges. 

That said, for our cruise last month, I only brought black slacks, no jeans. It was just easier and allowed me to not even think about the question. So arriving late after an excursion was no big deal because we weren’t wearing jeans anyway.

• Like 2

I generally don't take jeans as they take up more space than travel pants.  Agreed there are some very expensive denims out there but hey, their ship, their rules.  I wish I could determine which rules to obey and which to ignore......  No speed limits for Jimbo!!!  Now ball caps..  I guess if you turn the bill around back it becomes "dressy:"  😱

• Haha 4

15 minutes ago, Twitchly said:

We’ve always interpreted this to mean the restaurants (excluding World Buffet) and theater. Not the lounges. 

That said, for our cruise last month, I only brought black slacks, no jeans. It was just easier and allowed me to not even think about the question. So arriving late after an excursion was no big deal because we weren’t wearing jeans anyway.

Exactly how we interpreted it, too. We have also stopped packing blue jeans. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Mrs Miggins said:

This is from someone who asked whether the Shoe Shine Service on Viking could be trusted to clean their "shell cordovan longwing Bluchers". 

Just joshing ! However I do have a long memory. 

Longwing Bluchers and Wingtips are traditionally casual shoes at best. Shoes of this type were originally intended for walking the bogs and moors. The purpose of the brogueing was to allow the dampness/water to slosh in and out of the shoe. They go perfectly well with jeans.

Edited by duquephart

1 hour ago, janetcbl said:

On our July cruise, people who tried to dine in the Restaurant wearing jeans were sent back to their cabins to change into something “more appropriate “.

On our June/July Homelands we saw jeans and even shorts in Chef's and Manfredi's on several occasions. 

1 hour ago, duquephart said:

Longwing Bluchers and Wingtips are traditionally casual shoes at best. Shoes of this type were originally intended for walking the bogs and moors. The purpose of the brogueing was to allow the dampness/water to slosh in and out of the shoe. They go perfectly well with jeans.

Of course they go well with Jeans, although  never with Jeans when walking the bogs and moors.  They would also look wonderful when you are dressed properly for any of the venues on Viking.  Did the Butler's shoe shine service perform properly ?

2 hours ago, duquephart said:

On our June/July Homelands we saw jeans and even shorts in Chef's and Manfredi's on several occasions. 

We saw the same on our June/July BIE cruise ... but many, many passengers arrived without their luggage ... some never got it at all!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe I'm splitting hairs but I wear a lot of colored jeans with  tunic tops (you never see the pockets).  I would never try to wear blue jeans in the evening, but does the dress code outlaw anything in denim, or just blue jeans?  And are khakis/Dockers OK for men in the evening? thanks!

6 hours ago, auburnb said:

Maybe I'm splitting hairs but I wear a lot of colored jeans with  tunic tops (you never see the pockets).  I would never try to wear blue jeans in the evening, but does the dress code outlaw anything in denim, or just blue jeans?  And are khakis/Dockers OK for men in the evening? thanks!

I think women can “get away with” wearing what are “technically” jeans but are not blue denim.  I have frequently worn black or white jeans without contrasting stitching or rivets and a nice sweater or knit top and been fine.  

• Like 1

On 10/31/2022 at 12:26 PM, Selion said:

Don't hate on me - this is just my experience and opinion.

There is nothing wrong with jeans if they are worn properly and paired with the right top, sweater, jacket, etc.

What is wrong with jeans is that even in the corporate environment, most don't understand where the line crosses on a jeans Friday - in my opinion.

Yes, jeans can be expensive, but it is the overall look that you create that is the deciding factor.  I have seen jeans that effectively have no fabric left on the thigh because of so many rips that are darn expensive - more than I would ever pay for any pants...

My husband has effectively worn jeans to the Chef's Table, Manfredi's, and The Restaurant.  His version cost a lot.  They are made from denim (which is jeans material) but they are not faded old looking jeans that you wear to the grocery store on a Saturday.  They are midnight blue, finished like a suit pant, and paired with a button shirt and a cashmere sweater, he looks well dressed and no one has every questioned it.  Unless you touched or closely scrutinized you would not immediately know they are "jeans" but effectively from the material they are made from they would qualify.

"Jeans" is a wide, wide, wide open range of looks so you cannot use the one word to say that they are allowed or not.  IMO

Same in the corporate world, when you have "casual" or "jeans" days, it is widely misinterpreted to what is casual attire.  My company specifies "Smart Casual" but has to have a list of what is allowed and not allowed so that people can understand.  Like the word jeans, the word casual is widely interpreted.

Viking have a dress code which is going to be widely interpreted, and in my opinion, cost of the garment has no bearing.  How it gets interpreted and policed is really up to the Viking crew member that receives you at the door, and we have to be satisfied with how they police it.  IMO.

• Like 6