Air fare is crazy expensive!!!

loving goldens

3 hours ago, d9704011 said:

Air Canada is open for flights departing 25 October.  The option of flying to VIE and taking a train to Rome sounds strange... flights to FCO seem to be about the same price as those to VIE.

Not strange at all as we are touring Austria a week prior to the cruise because Aeroplan points made it economical to fly to VIE business class for only 70,000 points each.

Edited by Magicat

1 hour ago, Magicat said:

Not strange at all as we are touring Austria a week prior to the cruise because Aeroplan points made it economical to fly to VIE business class for only 70,000 points each.

OK.  That Austria tour wasn't apparent to me.

• 2 months later...
On 11/3/2022 at 1:37 PM, Milhouse said:

What I've found for booking two trips in late Oct / early Nov to LAS and LAX from YVR was that flight prices were reasonable about 45-60 days out, particularly with a one day seat sale.  But once it got to around the 30 day mark, prices started increasing.  Flair prices are generally pretty cheap but I'm trying to avoid flying LCC's.

+1 to hotel prices being ridiculous though and even more so booking late.

I had heard this when I was doing research so I waited. Our Prices at 60 days out are 3 times the cost I previously was seeing and mostly crappy flight lengths left. I won’t ever wait again. 🙁

Yes, honestly, i was looking at airfare to basically ANYWHERE WARM for March break and i couldn't find anything remotely reasonable (everything was over $800pp or leaving at ungodly hours with double-digit hour layovers.. we have an 8-yr old - that's not happening). 

So, i did a search for cruises out of Cape Liberty, which is drivable from Ottawa, and found an awesome 7-night Bahamas cruise on the Anthem. The cruise was $4200 for the 3 of us, and we're staying with friends in NJ the night before, so no hotel costs. Yay! 

I don't see this changing for us canucks any time soon, so maybe road trips to cruise ports will become more common. At least there's lots to see and do along the US eastcoast. 😉 

Just now, ASBJumper said:

Yes, honestly, i was looking at airfare to basically ANYWHERE WARM for March break and i couldn't find anything remotely reasonable (everything was over $800pp or leaving at ungodly hours with double-digit hour layovers.. we have an 8-yr old - that's not happening). 

So, i did a search for cruises out of Cape Liberty, which is drivable from Ottawa, and found an awesome 7-night Bahamas cruise on the Anthem. The cruise was $4200 for the 3 of us, and we're staying with friends in NJ the night before, so no hotel costs. Yay! 

I don't see this changing for us canucks any time soon, so maybe road trips to cruise ports will become more common. At least there's lots to see and do along the US eastcoast. 😉 

+1 on that for sure. We did two trips this past summer, one out of Manhattan and one out of Brooklyn, staying in New Jersey each time and are absolutely hooked. We plan to increase the number of times we sail from NY, NJ or Boston in the future. Can't beat the ease of driving 6 or 7 hours from Montreal to avoid the living hell of modern air travel.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, ASBJumper said:

i was looking at airfare to basically ANYWHERE WARM for March break

And therein lies the problem...my DW was an EA for 15+ years and we always had to pay a premium for airfare during March break...so we used to drive to Florida with the kids...4 days of driving for 5 days vacation...but you gotta do what you gotta do if you want somewhere warm.

• Like 1

On 1/13/2023 at 3:17 PM, ASBJumper said:

Well, for this 'Canuck', living in Kingston, Ontario, I travel via Motorcoach, with 'Maple Leaf Tours', from Kingston to New York City, where our travel group stays one night, pre-cruise at the 'New York Marriott Marquis', downtown Manhattan, then we embark the following morning from the 'Manhattan Cruise Terminal' with 'NCL' to Bermuda, Caribbean, etc.!

On 11/5/2022 at 4:22 PM, Fred&Lily said:

Ironically the airline kept popping up notices to act quickly because there were only two seats left at this price. I sign in and get two seats and find during the seat selection process that every seat from row 12 right to the back of the plane is available.

Two seats left "at this price".  They didn't say only two seats left.  If you booked them then the next person in might find 20 seats available but at a higher fare.  Here's what I think is happening.  If an airline has a 100 seat aircraft and expects 5% no-shows, they can sell 105 tickets with no problem.  But clearly they cannot allow 105 people to select seats.  So for different fare types, you may or may not be able to select your seat when booking.  I would not be surprised if the airline holds back 20 seats or so to allow the airport to sort everybody out on departure, based on who actually shows up.

On 11/3/2022 at 6:54 PM, Ex-Airbalancer said:

Check with google.ca/flights for pricing 

It appears you have to book early to get good pricing ,

Got a good price with Air Transat for our spring TA , YYZ to FLL , BCN to YYZ 

Same amount as A/C...not cheaper at all