Chicken wings changed!

rxlowry

To address the issue of "SUPPLY". There was a bird flu going around this past year advising to not feed birds or use bird baths. During the outbreak many chickens were destroy. Didn't matter if they had the flu or not, they were destroy so the virus would not spread and cause a bird epidemic. Thus...a short supply of all things chicken especially wings because that part of the chicken is in such high demand.....as for the size, I am assuming they are taking the wings of their new young birds since the older ones were destroyed. 

Two of our local bars completely quit carrying chicken wings due to supply and cost issues. It's weird that I can't get chicken wings in my small town and it has meant we very, very rarely go out to watch sportsball anymore. The wings were an important part of the ritual.

I like mine smoked for a while, then the skin crisped up over direct heat above the coals…fall off the bone good..I season them with a dry rub for about an hour before starting the smoke…

Weber Kettle is my go to for these..

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, New2cruise2022 said:

I agree that they are delicious in the air fryer. The problem? Air fryers take time. Even commercial ones are slow. Kitchen staff worries customers are impatient (many are) and are trying to clear tickets. They short the time on the wings and you are left with gummy skins instead of crispy ones. The perfect wings when you are baking take the right time to render the fat and crisp up. Once the heat gets there, they crisp over the course of about 30 seconds. I like the sauce on the side, just in case the time from oven to table gets delayed (which it often does). The crisp will stay long and you can dip and enjoy. 

I always baked mine before we got an air fryer, and they were delicious that way, too. I would imagine given the number of people who come to O'Sheehan's for wings, they could find a way to have them fresh and on hand. At any rate, I'll be on a ship soon and can let people know how the wings were.

20 hours ago, New2cruise2022 said:

Oh, and sauce on the side if you are worried. If you don’t feel like you are asking for too much (probably are) a side of melted butter and franks red hot and you can double dip it delicious. 

Nah too much work.  My waistline will thank me for not having them so that’s a plus

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, New2cruise2022 said:

No one should “give up” on the wings based on a forum. One of the food items in my restaurant most impacted by inflation and supply chain issues the past 3 years is chicken wings. From week to week, the pricing and availability has been unpredictable. Often times, you have to substitute brand and size just to keep wings in stock. It’s possible the current selection is hitting a price or availability and NCL is doing the best it can to keep it stocked. 

It’s the preparation.  I guess they are saving on oil and flour though. 

4 minutes ago, rxlowry said:

Some people might prefer this and that’s great but it’s a change from something I’ve enjoyed since 2008.  The after hours wings was a good time. 

Change is evil. (That's what my late father-in-law used to say)

I'll be on the Getaway next week and I'm debating whether to warn my boyfriend before he beelines it over to O'Sheehans once we embark. He loves their wings and he will definitely have an opinion if there is any difference from when we sailed in 2021. He is an extremely picky eater, and if he doesn't like something, he'll let you know. The wings are his go to when we return from an excursion or he's looking for a late night snack. There's a little bit of me that is curious to see if he'll notice the difference. At least now I'll be prepared if he notices! ☺️

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, imadisneyfan said:

I'll be on the Getaway next week and I'm debating whether to warn my boyfriend before he beelines it over to O'Sheehans once we embark. He loves their wings and he will definitely have an opinion if there is any difference from when we sailed in 2021. He is an extremely picky eater, and if he doesn't like something, he'll let you know. The wings are his go to when we return from an excursion or he's looking for a late night snack. There's a little bit of me that is curious to see if he'll notice the difference. At least now I'll be prepared if he notices! ☺️

Be prepared.  And let me know!

2 hours ago, rxlowry said:

Some people might prefer this and that’s great but it’s a change from something I’ve enjoyed since 2008.  The after hours wings was a good time. 

I didn't mean to discount your feelings on this! It does suck when your favorite item no longer tastes the same. Especially if you were just anticipating the deliciousness for the weeks and months ahead of your cruise. While I might appreciate the change, I'm sorry this has come at your food enjoyment experience!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

I didn't mean to discount your feelings on this! It does suck when your favorite item no longer tastes the same. Especially if you were just anticipating the deliciousness for the weeks and months ahead of your cruise. While I might appreciate the change, I'm sorry this has come at your food enjoyment experience!

No worries!  I hope people do like them and if not I hope they return to the awesomeness that once was.  But I know they wings are a cult fave so that’s why I posted.  It won’t stop me from cruising NCL that’s for sure. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, EllieinNJ said:

On another note I usually get the Ruben sandwich at least once.  On my September Joy cruise the Ruben was at least 3" thick and tasted like a hot pastrami sandwich at a kosher deli.  We had it three times.

My husband and I finally tried the Ruben on our last sailing in September (also on the Joy) and agree, it was delicious.  We also then got it at least three more times (we usually order a few items and share).  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, vacation44 said:

I say forget the wings and bring back the mozzarella sticks!!!

So many times yessssss!!! Well...keep the wings and bring back the mozzarella sticks! The American Diner mozzarella sticks are good. They're not great, especially if they're not cooked all the way through. We wound up sending back two orders as they were still cold in the middle. That's what you get when you make enormous ones. 

Included in the fare (not free) O'Sheehan's mozzarella sticks and chicken wings would be phenomenal!

2 minutes ago, vacation44 said:

My husband and I finally tried the Ruben on our last sailing in September (also on the Joy) and agree, it was delicious.  We also then got it at least three more times (we usually order a few items and share).  

I never actually got the Ruben, but I had them put corn beef on top of my cheeseburger, and it was delicious.  This became my nightly goto instead of the wings.  I put mustard on it, but now I wish I would have thought about having them put the Russian dressing on it.  Next time....

4 hours ago, DCGuy64 said:

If they're more like air fryer wings, count me in! My wife bought us an air fryer recently and wings are phenomenal in it, so juicy! (And healthier, too!)

I cook at least 85% of my meals in my air fryer!!!  And yes, air fryer wings are awesome.  But the O'Sheehans wings don't taste like air fryer wings.