NCL Air - are basic economy seats the norm?

Ken the cruiser

27 minutes ago, PATRLR said:

This must be a preemptive "It's not NCL's fault, it's your fault" post.  No one to this point has laid blame anywhere (not even mentioned blame), but, just in case anyone wants to try to blame our beloved NCL, this post will nip that right in the bud.  

Just seemed like a "I'm complaining but I'm not complaining" post...

2 hours ago, julig22 said:

NCL has a premium air department and would be happy to book flights based on your specific requests, just not online. But not at BOGO prices.

Yes I'm aware, just saying imo Princess is much easier, it's all right there to look at, no phone call required

Update: My DW just made me aware, since she is the one that manages our confirmations, the BOGO airfare sale was not going on when we booked our upcoming Jade cruise back in Sep 2020. Funny thing, though. On our first leg from Alabama to Athens, the airfare through NCL Air was $600 per person. However, our 8,000-mile return flight from Cape Town was only $550 per person. That might explain why we got assigned Main Cabin seats on the first flight (which is now sold out) but got Basic Economy seats on the return flight after the second leg. Right now that return flight is $1,663 pp. 

Edited by Ken the cruiser

18 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

As long as they don't book you in Delta Basic Economy or the equivalent on some other airline.

- No seat(s) assigned until after check-in, not together 

- No changes allowed*

- Cancelable for partial eCredit (cancellation charge applies)**

- Last to board & not eligible for upgrades 

- No miles earned; no credit toward SkyMiles Medallion Status***

😂

We had Delta to NOLA. We were able to select our seats once the tickets were releases. We were able to make changes throughout the time as well. We had no issues. 

• Like 1

Just received ticketing for our Portland Oregon to Australia/NZ flights for Jan. 15 cruise.   United to Sydney economy was allowed to select seats on United website.  Flight thru SFO.   Return on Hawaiian Air thru Honolulu.  Very happy with these arrangements.   We fly in two days early to Sydney and leave Aukland 2 days later.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, davencl said:

Just received ticketing for our Portland Oregon to Australia/NZ flights for Jan. 15 cruise.   United to Sydney economy was allowed to select seats on United website.  Flight thru SFO.   Return on Hawaiian Air thru Honolulu.  Very happy with these arrangements.   We fly in two days early to Sydney and leave Aukland 2 days later.

Yeah, United’s good for that.  You should be able to upgrade to premium economy fairly cheaply too, which would entitle you to 2 checked bags free and much better seating for such a long trip. 

3 minutes ago, EvanBedar said:

Yeah, United’s good for that.  You should be able to upgrade to premium economy fairly cheaply too, which would entitle you to 2 checked bags free and much better seating for such a long trip. 

Yes I didn't mention it but did upgrade.  Was only $33 each.

• Like 1

On 11/7/2022 at 9:19 AM, dolfan1980 said:

the fact that airlines often put ppl on the same locator together anyways

As a very frequent flyer for work, I can say this is not the case for most US mainline carriers as of Nov 2022. Parties on the same flight booking/record are consistently seated apart, especially if booked on a basic fare... it's why you get the crazy "seat negotiations" between passengers on many flights, and gate agent/crew regularly reminding people to sit in their assigned seats for accuracy. 

1 hour ago, AstoriaPreppy said:

As a very frequent flyer for work, I can say this is not the case for most US mainline carriers as of Nov 2022. Parties on the same flight booking/record are consistently seated apart, especially if booked on a basic fare... it's why you get the crazy "seat negotiations" between passengers on many flights, and gate agent/crew regularly reminding people to sit in their assigned seats for accuracy. 

Fair enough.  I fly AC primarily and some United.  I've never had much trouble with seats if checking in right at 24 hours, but you're right, many airlines are charging now even at 24 hours.  AC allows you to move around the plane at check in.