Is Port-to-Port Going Away?

jimdee3636

Interesting comments from those who say fares on cruises they booked went up in price under the "new and improved" p2p. I would love to know if any of the fares actually improved. The ones I've been watching (mainly on expedition ships) stayed the same but with the new so-called promotional terms. 

We booked a cruise on the Moon D2D for $10,600 CAD. We intended to switch to P2P which was $6,550 because there is no way flight and transfers are more than $4,000. We were okay with 15% non refundable deposit. However, the same cruise is now $7,150 P2P with "extra 10% non refundable discount". So they raised the price by 10% and added the 10% discount, which brings it back to the previous previous price, but now this price is 100% non refundable.

Not a good practice, and we will be cancelling. Similar cruise on Oceania is around $4-4.5k, and after completing our first cruise on SS, I just cannot justify that kind of premium.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

We booked a cruise on the Moon D2D for $10,600 CAD. We intended to switch to P2P which was $6,550 because there is no way flight and transfers are more than $4,000. We were okay with 15% non refundable deposit. However, the same cruise is now $7,150 P2P with "extra 10% non refundable discount". So they raised the price by 10% and added the 10% discount, which brings it back to the previous previous price, but now this price is 100% non refundable.

Not a good practice, and we will be cancelling. Similar cruise on Oceania is around $4-4.5k, and after completing our first cruise on SS, I just cannot justify that kind of premium.

Sorry to hear that.

The two lines are so very different and cannot be compared.

I can see your point.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Mr Luxury said:

Sorry to hear that.

I can see your point.

Every line is different, and every line has it's specifics, but I don't think they are that different. Both provide excellent service, SS is obviously much more formal, which might be important to some people and less important to to others. Personally I believe you cannot with both of them, and to us, it comes to price and itinerary. But I suspect that the whole P2P thing will be very confusing to many people.

9 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

But I suspect that the whole P2P thing will be very confusing to many people.

Booking a Silversea cruise used to be fairly straightforward. Now it is an ever-changing target.  Management seems to be fond of tinkering. And then there are the stealth changes, such as the sudden abolition of any onboard credits when cruises are booked directly with a Silversea consultant.  I am not optimistic about my favored cruise line under its new leadership.  

• Like 2

On related note, we spoke with future cruises consultant on board and asked if he can apply the on board discount and Venetian discount to the cruise that we already booked, but he refused. When we mentioned that we can simply cancel and re book (the price of D2D is actually slightly lower now), he said that we should cancel first with our TA and then rebook, but he cannot do it. Sounded very strange, and doesn't give us a lot of motivation and incentive to book more cruises with SS or keep the current one. 

54 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

Not sure how long you’ve been following SS’s pricing practices, and not about to argue whether or not they are good as you note, but what you wrote is the way it’s been for over a decade that I’ve been following SS.  Sure, the promotion name changes (P2P is the most recent favored style) from time-to-time, but the jest is the same; don’t refund any cash due to a lower price. 

See, the silver privilege fare guarantee program is nothing more than marketing gobbledygook.  Plus, the onus is on the customer to request a refund, should they ever find an actual lower price.  It’s a rare bird indeed.  And heck, just a couple of year’s ago, pre-Covid, thousands of passengers were pre-paying 100% of their cruise fare years in advance for a 10% discount. Now, mind you, the cancellation terms weren’t as onerous as P2P is tidy, but you get my point nonetheless.

Oh, and one final comment… I realize you are price sensitive.  And, while you may think the SS market is moving target, it’s not. They have, and always will, continue to seek the inelastic price consumer.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Stumblefoot said:

Not sure how long you’ve been following SS’s pricing practices, and not about to argue whether or not they are good as you note, but what you wrote is the way it’s been for over a decade that I’ve been following SS.  Sure, the promotion name changes (P2P is the most recent favored style) from time-to-time, but the jest is the same; don’t refund any cash due to a lower price. 

See, the silver privilege fare guarantee program is nothing more than marketing gobbledygook.  Plus, the onus is on the customer to request a refund, should they ever find an actual lower price.  It’s a rare bird indeed.  And heck, just a couple of year’s ago, pre-Covid, thousands of passengers were pre-paying 100% of their cruise fare years in advance for a 10% discount. Now, mind you, the cancellation terms weren’t as onerous as P2P is tidy, but you get my point nonetheless.

Oh, and one final comment… I realize you are price sensitive.  And, while you may think the SS market is moving target, it’s not. They have, and always will, continue to seek the inelastic price consumer.

I realize that many (probably most) cruise lines are using highly questionable marketing practices, and no line is perfect. We just paid in full for Uniworld cruise a few months ago to get a 10% discount, they mentioned the promotion is valid till April 30, and.. you guessed, the date just kept moving. But at least the payment is fully refundable, so I'm just giving them an interest free loan. But to raise the price by 10% and immediately offer a 10% discount with 100% non refundable payment makes me think that they believe their customers are morons..

And yes, I'm price sensitive, but I'm willing to pay a premium for a premium product if I believe is better than another premium product. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, ak1004 said:

…makes me think that they believe their customers are morons...

You’d be surprised how many actually are, me included most likely.

3 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

And yes, I'm price sensitive, but I'm willing to pay a premium for a premium product if I believe is better than another premium product. 

Totally understand. To each eye his own, beholden to none other. It’s what makes a market.

23 minutes ago, Stumblefoot said:

The other side of the coin- We did the Nov. 2022 Lisbon to Lisbon. Originally it was Dakar to Lisbon. A few months prior to cruise date, I did notice that the fares had gone down. I contacted my TA with a copy of the screen shot showing lower fares and asked to get a refund. Lo and behold, a couple of days later we got a credit for $1200 each or $2400 in total. We were very happy.

6 minutes ago, A Tucson Guy said:

The other side of the coin- We did the Nov. 2022 Lisbon to Lisbon. Originally it was Dakar to Lisbon. A few months prior to cruise date, I did notice that the fares had gone down. I contacted my TA with a copy of the screen shot showing lower fares and asked to get a refund. Lo and behold, a couple of days later we got a credit for $1200 each or $2400 in total. We were very happy.

Was it after final payment?

7 minutes ago, A Tucson Guy said:

A few months prior to cruise date, I did notice that the fares had gone down. I contacted my TA with a copy of the screen shot showing lower fares and asked to get a refund. Lo and behold, a couple of days later we got a credit for $1200 each or $2400 in total.

Yup, like I said, it’s the customer’s responsibility to find when fares may be lowered. It’s a rare bird.  SS has never issued a cash refund on their own to guests who booked at a higher fare. 

Edited by Stumblefoot

Post covid we have done two SS cruises and we have five more SS cruises paid for until 4-25. I see mixed opinions from many about SS. SS Air has been perfect for me and really came through last summer when some airlines went on strike. Life on the SS ships could not be better. I still will look at RSSC and Seabourn for future cruises. I only like the newer ships, just me. When I do the number crunching, SS beats RSSC every time when you factor in Bus Air. The current challenge with Seabourn is you cannot lock in the Bus Air before 330 days and I tend to book way in advance. With the crazy inflation, I pass on Seabourn since I will not know the cost including Bus Air. I am not a cheer leader for any cruise line, but right now, SS is getting all my business. Also for me, trying to use air miles for Bus Class is a joke and I don't even try anymore.

• Like 2

On 12/21/2022 at 4:05 PM, Stumblefoot said:

See, the silver privilege fare guarantee program is nothing more than marketing gobbledygook.  Plus, the onus is on the customer to request a refund, should they ever find an actual lower price.  It’s a rare bird indeed.  

I was really fortunate on my second sailing. Shortly after booking the fare was reduced, then a month later, they added $500 OBC without the usual hike to get to a price it wasn’t really a discount overall. Just pure fluke and I’ve only seen upward pricing since..

My consultant had to double check… even he was surprised and it’s never happened again…. And surprisingly it was on a super itinerary from Barcelona to Athens via the Corinth Canal. Still think to this day it was our fav SS cruise overall for so many reasons.

it was pure luck I spotted it the first time but not the second and it certainly had to be pointed out. It wasn’t auto. 

• Like 1

On 12/21/2022 at 10:04 AM, Mr Luxury said:

Sorry to hear that.

I can see your point.

I don't think they are that different. I find the food similar in quality and the lack of activities and entertainment the same.

On 12/21/2022 at 3:59 PM, A Tucson Guy said:

Also for me, trying to use air miles for Bus Class is a joke and I don't even try anymore.

Using air miles requires a strategy based on the airline, its alliance partners, and when seats become available. And some times a little flexibility on dates. There is actually a website that gives tips and advice on this. And to get business class, it also requires lots of air miles. We have lots of air miles thanks to doing lots of business travel before retiring, and because we put every expense we can through two credit cards - each linked to a different airline. Over the last 7 or 8 years we have not paid for a single business class ticket anywhere, and we travel a lot -- 8 flights this year. I estimate we have easily saved over $20,000 in airfares this year alone. Plus, I get to pick the airline, the route, the seat and usually the date of travel. Using airmiles is not for everyone, but for those who can figure out how to make it work, it's usually better than using the cruise line's air.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, commodoredave said:

Using air miles requires a strategy based on the airline, its alliance partners, and when seats become available. And some times a little flexibility on dates. There is actually a website that gives tips and advice on this. And to get business class, it also requires lots of air miles. We have lots of air miles thanks to doing lots of business travel before retiring, and because we put every expense we can through two credit cards - each linked to a different airline. Over the last 7 or 8 years we have not paid for a single business class ticket anywhere, and we travel a lot -- 8 flights this year. I estimate we have easily saved over $20,000 in airfares this year alone. Plus, I get to pick the airline, the route, the seat and usually the date of travel. Using airmiles is not for everyone, but for those who can figure out how to make it work, it's usually better than using the cruise line's air.

We are in the same boat, using the loyalty program to book flights, it is usually much better value than booking with the cruise company.

I see that you are from Toronto, if you want to share some experience, you are welcome to email me (the email is in my signature).

I don’t think that those who live in the Northern  

Hemisphere know how lucky you are. Here down under basically only 2 airlines that you can link a credit card to. Qantas or Virgin Australia.

The only people with a reasonable chance of a premium award on Qantas are their top elite members. Lower down you have to wait until the top elite members have had their chance before Qantas even lets you search for premium awards. Added to that every day you have a horror story of awards being cancelled without a reason being given. Some as late as check in for their flight back to Australia.

As for Virgin Australia they only have one overseas destination and that is New Zealand. Sure they have partner airlines but they give preference to their own members and VA charge exorbitant fees for partner awards.

Fortunately I learnt early on not to rely on Australian airlines and switched my loyalty to AA then BA and Singapore airlines. So far I also haven’t needed to pay for J or F flights this year and the first part of 2023 but that will change in the second half of next year.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, drron29 said:

I don’t think that those who live in the Northern  

Hemisphere know how lucky you are. Here down under basically only 2 airlines that you can link a credit card to. Qantas or Virgin Australia.

The only people with a reasonable chance of a premium award on Qantas are their top elite members. Lower down you have to wait until the top elite members have had their chance before Qantas even lets you search for premium awards. Added to that every day you have a horror story of awards being cancelled without a reason being given. Some as late as check in for their flight back to Australia.

As for Virgin Australia they only have one overseas destination and that is New Zealand. Sure they have partner airlines but they give preference to their own members and VA charge exorbitant fees for partner awards.

Fortunately I learnt early on not to rely on Australian airlines and switched my loyalty to AA then BA and Singapore airlines. So far I also haven’t needed to pay for J or F flights this year and the first part of 2023 but that will change in the second half of next year.

Sounds Grim 😔

13 hours ago, drron29 said:

Smart move with the switch to BA. One of our credit cards is linked to BA, the other to Air Canada. We've had a lot of success with BA to Europe, and AC south to the US and Caribbean.

• Like 1