How social are people on NCL cruises?

New2cruise2022

In my personal life, I'm the grumpy>anti-social>I-Hate-People  Old Guy referenced above.

In my professional life, I need to be (and am pretty good at being) extroverted>engaging>gregarious Cruise Director good guy.

Once aboard ship, DW is consistently amazed at the appearance of "Golf Pro" Leithbones (whom she rarely sees) supplanting "Grouchy" Leithbones (her normal companion).

I can discuss anything, laugh at every joke, take your selfie for you, listen to the latest crisis your kids are enduring, share a cocktail/meal, or go on an excursion with you.

After the cruise, don't call me. Don't text me. I won't respond.

Cruising brings out My Different Person.

• Haha 5

hey, golf-pro leithbones:

while i think it's admirable that you can change personas after getting on the ship. bottom line  is why bother. my point was, i dont want to discuss my kids,listen to or tell you a joke, have a meal or take an excursion with you. all of that means that i need to be friendly and sociable with/to someone i will

probably never see or have any contact with ever again.

begs the question? if you're on a long distance flight, cross country, cross atlantic or pacific, will you strike up a conversation with the person next to you?

i wont, not because im truly anti-social, i just want to try and get some sleep, or if  its a really long flight watch a few movies.

when we were much younger (about 40 years ago) anytime/anywhere we traveled, we always managed to hook up with other people. on cruises where you were seated with 6-8 other people, we always had a great time. a couple of nights, i even bought champagne for the table. I liked to have a "posse" and it usually worked out well.

now that i'm almost 75, very cynical and pessimistic, i dont look to make any contacts with other passengers.  while i wont intentionally ignore you or be rude, i wont go out of my way to get together either

15 minutes ago, meyermtacmj said:

I'm an introvert. I hadn't done a ton of socializing on cruises. My fiance is quite the extrovert. She's also a smoker. On our last cruise (our first together), we socialized a ton and met some great people in the smoking area on the Dawn! 

The things that bind us. I’ve read people feeling ostracized because of smoking. Glad there was a community for your fiancé. 

• Like 3

18 hours ago, complawyer said:

hey, golf-pro leithbones:

Thanks for your reply -- I think we're simpatico in this regard.

bottom line  is why bother

DW loves GolfPro Leithbones when we're in a social environment.  Keeping her happy = #1

someone i will probably never see or have any contact with ever again.

We still  have two "Cruise Buddy" couples with whom we still see/communicate 10+ yrs later.

begs the question? if you're on a long distance flight, cross country, cross atlantic or pacific, will you strike up a conversation with the person next to you?

nope, Nope, NOPE.  CRUISING is what kicks in GolfPro Leithbones outside of work.

when we were much younger 

now that i'm almost 75, 

Yep, I'm changing too. It's more pronounced.

I'd buy you a cocktail, but we're probably never gonna meet because of who we are.  

Thanks for making me think more deeply about this. 🙂

Eric

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, MSUjohn said:

cruisers with upside-down pineapples on their doors are known to be VERY social & they enjoy meeting new people.

upside-down-pineapple.jpg

This is when you buy a pack of pineapple stickers or sticky notes and just leave them on random cabin doors throughout the ship. 

• Haha 4

3 minutes ago, New2cruise2022 said:

This is when you buy a pack of pineapple stickers or sticky notes and just leave them on random cabin doors throughout the ship. 

hahaha; to spice things up, first learn who the octogenarian couples are......and then apply to their door. 

• Haha 3

53 minutes ago, MSUjohn said:

cruisers with upside-down pineapples on their doors are known to be VERY social & they enjoy meeting new people.

I should put one on my cabin door in the Studio area on my next cruise.  lol

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, CptAleSpill said:

I'm not an introvert, I just don't like a lot of the personalities out there and don't want to interact with them at all.  Get me together with people who will have a drink and enjoy GOOD music, and I have a lot of fun.  Real fun.  Not what some apparently would experience from putting pineapples on other folks' doors.  Are you still in Junior High?

pineapples will have to suffice; flaming paper bags of dog poo dont go over well on a cruise ship.....they obviously violate the open flame rules.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, CptAleSpill said:

I'm not an introvert, I just don't like a lot of the personalities out there and don't want to interact with them at all.  Get me together with people who will have a drink and enjoy GOOD music, and I have a lot of fun.  Real fun.  Not what some apparently would experience from putting pineapples on other folks' doors.  Are you still in Junior High?

I’m pretty sure everyone is joking about it, not rushing to order pineapple stickers to bring on the ship. But if you would like a disclaimer that is in fact a joke, I’d be happy to provide one. 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, CptAleSpill said:

Yeah.  That's what I was thinking as well.  I was just hoping it would stop.  There's a fine line between clever and stupid.

DISCLAIMER: All commentary on upside down pineapples are intended for entertainment purposes only and should be perceived as clever and NOT stupid. Complaints regarding behavior beyond the fine line should be directed to @CptAleSpillfor joke arbitration. Happy sails and commentary. 

ADDENDUM: @MSUjohn Comments about flaming bags poo, shall be heretofore covered under the umbrella of upside down pineapples jokes. Also ONLY for entertainment purposes. 

• Thanks 2

On 11/20/2022 at 2:57 AM, Markanddonna said:

Ncl epic won't allow door decorations. First time i saw this restriction.

I think it's a rule, much like chair hogging is a rule. I've only sailed twice on NCL, and both times on the Getaway (this year). In my wanderings around the ship, which included all decks, I saw many door decorations. None seemed to be taken down. 

I might have given an extra knock on the door to those who were celebrating anniversaries. I just wanted them to know they weren't alone - my husband and I did too, but we didn't feel the need to exclaim this to the world...except, maybe, on the balcony one...welll nevermind. 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 11/19/2022 at 8:26 PM, MSUjohn said:

upside-down-pineapple.jpg

Some are more social that others 😂😂

image.thumb.jpeg.2206820a560214362782266c5e2e6762.jpeg