Specialty Dining Resource or FAQ?

nawlagal

Yet another question from this noob... 

How in the heck does Specialty Dining work? I don't see any greatDo I simply book a restaurant that is considered "a la carte, " then have the dining upgrade processed as part of the bill at the end of the meal? 

I don't see any great explanations on NCL's website. Does anyone have a handy link on how dining works overall and how one redeems these packages/upgrades? 

I have the following:

2 Meal Dining pkg for 2
2 Meal Specialty Dining Upgrade for 2

Thanks!

it is in their computer system. go to any specialty restaurant you want. Order as much as food as you want with appetizers, sides and desserts and get one entree. at the end of the meal you will get a check for 0.00 just like a land based restaurant

Edited by shof515
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, shof515 said:

it is in their computer system. go to any specialty restaurant you want. Order as much as food as you want with appetizers, sides and desserts and get one entree. at the end of the meal you will get a check for 0.00 just like a land based restaurant

Thanks for this info as well!

So basically the only limit is the 1 entrée (and drinks of course)? Otherwise, you can order endless apps, sides and desserts?

Also, I thought I read that there was a complimentary kids menu...is that still the case? (Cagneys).

Thanks!

• Like 1

One caveat - some venues will have items that have an up-charge, even on the dining package.  Crabcake in Cagney's is one item...

There is a TON of discussion in this forum regarding specialty dining and what you do or don't get.

Edited by hallux

3 hours ago, nawlagal said:

How in the heck does Specialty Dining work? Do I simply book a restaurant that is considered "a la carte, " then have the dining upgrade processed as part of the bill at the end of the meal?  I don't see any great explanations on NCL's website. Does anyone have a handy link on how dining works overall and how one redeems these packages/upgrades? I have the following:

2 Meal Dining pkg for 2
2 Meal Specialty Dining Upgrade for 2

You make 4 or more reservations exactly 120 days prior to your cruise. Book fixed-priced restaurants (Teppanyaki, Moderna) first, then a la carte restaurants. 

When you arrive at dinner, tell the hostess how you would like to pay for dinner: Specialty Dining Package, room charge, or other vouchers.  

Some waiters will tell you that you get 1 appetizer, 1 entrée, 1 dessert. That is inconsistent with the terms and conditions of the program. We just order what we want and are never charged. 

https://www.ncl.com/about/terms-and-conditions/promotions

Example of value of package

image.png.99e4cdf4b0b506de5d2ce9bd37b2b4c7.png

Recent restaurant menus

Edited by BirdTravels

25 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

You make 4 or more reservations exactly 120 days prior to your cruise. Book fixed-priced restaurants (Teppanyaki, Moderna) first, then a la carte restaurants. 

Well, DANG! I didn't know I had to reserve 4 months out. Do I lose my package that I purchased? If so, I'm gonna be big mad!🤬 

5 minutes ago, nawlagal said:

Well, DANG! I didn't know I had to reserve 4 months out. Do I lose my package that I purchased? If so, I'm gonna be big mad!🤬 

Of course not.  If you can't book online now, just do it as soon as you board the ship.  If that doesn't work, just show up at the restaurant when they open and ask when they can get you in.

Edited by ChiefMateJRK
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, nawlagal said:

No, you don't HAVE to reserve 4 months out.  NCL opens only about 30% of the available space for pre-cruise booking so if you don't do it ASAP you MAY be frustrated that you can't book the day/time you want.  The rest is available on embarkation day - visit, I believe, Teppanyaki on the Breakaway ships, as soon as you board to make reservations, or you can try using the app on your phone once you're connected to the ship's WiFi (no need to use internet package for that), or you can use the touchscreens in the stair lobbies (2 on each deck at each end of the ship on the BA and BA+ ships) to make those reservations.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Vacationlover2 said:

When I was at Cagney's a couple weeks ago, I tried to order 3 sides and they said I could only order 2.  Was that incorrect?  Where in the terms and conditions does it say you can order unlimited.  Thanks so much. Cruising in March and want to be able to order more sides.

Waiters are told that but nowhere in the terms and conditions does it state a limitation on sides, apps, or desserts. If you really want that 3rd side, just order it. More than likely, it will be zeroed out on the receipt. As far as I know, nobody on the forum has posted an actual receipt the shows extra apps, sides, etc. being charged when using the SDP.  

• Like 1