Alaska Cruises

jkbec101

Last summer, my wife and her mother were on the Spirit after the Sun cancelled due tot he growler.  They were hoping for the park ranger to explain what they were going to see and were also hoping for the blanket and hit chocolate like others have discussed.  They felt cheated, not in a give me cruise credit kind of way, just that they were disappointed and felt like they missed out.

My question is when booking the next Alaska cruise, does anyone have any tricks or tips to ensure that these small perks are a part of the cruise?  Is the park ranger (I think that's who it is) only on certain ships, is the blanket and hot chocolate a Haven/suite thing?  

I hope someone helps you find the answers you are looking for, but having cruised to Alaska on NCL, I'm nonetheless unclear what you are asking.  Maybe be more specific or explain more?

Rangers come onboard for the Glacier Bay cruising day. I have not heard of blankets and hot cocoa - except possibly in the haven. I also believe that both Princess and HAL have guest speakers onboard for their enrichment programs. HAL used to offer split pea soup in Glacier Bay.

I was on the spirit in September and park rangers were onboard. They had a presentation, then broadcast during the transit.  If you were in your cabin, you could hear the broadcast on the web cam or navigation channels.  Never heard about blankets or hot coco.

Blankets and hot coco is a Haven thing at least on the Jewel.

Yes, Park Service people come aboard to make presentations.  The last time I was on the Jewel the Park Service people had items for sale.  Do not remember other than books and maps what they had for sale.

Blankets, hot chocolate with Bailey’s, raincoats and canapés are provided to Haven and penthouse suite guests.

There is usually hot chocolate in Spinnaker or on the bow.

Every Alaska cruise I’ve done with NCL park rangers have come on board and done a narration, several presentations and the kids’ program.  Glacier Bay is a National Park and I believe all cruise ships are required to have a ranger on board.

This is me in a blanket on the Haven deck this summer on the NCL Jewel.

8C1AE2D2-3A37-4A50-BF09-538BDC132D72.jpeg

Edited by YVRteacher
  • Like 1

You may be able to Do It Your-self - visit the Buffet for the Hot Chocolate and ask your

cabin steward for the blanket (perhaps even taking it off of your bed) - now as for the

added ingredients to the hot chocolate that may depend on what type of beverage

package you have or your billing it on your account.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, YVRteacher said:

Blankets, hot chocolate with Bailey’s, raincoats and canapés are provided to Haven and penthouse suite guests.

There is usually hot chocolate in Spinnaker or on the bow.

Every Alaska cruise I’ve done with NCL park rangers have come on board and done a narration, several presentations and the kids’ program.  Glacier Bay is a National Park and I believe all cruise ships are required to have a ranger on board.

This is me in a blanket on the Haven deck this summer on the NCL Jewel.

8C1AE2D2-3A37-4A50-BF09-538BDC132D72.jpeg

Blankets?  We don't need no stinkin' blankets.  Just make the hot chocolate strong enough and we're good to go!!!  😎

(Disclaimer:  I'm 100% Scandinavian and I don't even feel the cold until it hits about zero)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, bonvoyagie said:

I have not heard of blankets and hot cocoa - except possibly in the haven.

Deck blankets are available at the towel station. We always pick them up early in a cruise (like embarkation day) before they run out. 

image.png.70c07feac4cdc42ff6b333dfee9fef10.png

We make our own hot chocolate with packets from the buffet

image.png.537b4483d421da8a31725ef94e33f7a2.png

What we have also seen on multiple recent Alaskan cruise is a soup station on the pool deck. 

image.png.2940d1d0860095ea7c0ef377fc255444.png

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Blankets?  We don't need no stinkin' blankets.  Just make the hot chocolate strong enough and we're good to go!!!  😎

(Disclaimer:  I'm 100% Scandinavian and I don't even feel the cold until it hits about zero)

Ya you-betcha- you are the type that needs more ice in the fjord to float your boat !  ROFLOL !

• Haha 2

16 hours ago, www3traveler said:

Blankets and hot coco is a Haven thing at least on the Jewel.

Yes, Park Service people come aboard to make presentations.  The last time I was on the Jewel the Park Service people had items for sale.  Do not remember other than books and maps what they had for sale.

Thank you for answering my question.