GeorgiaPeach Sails the Atlantic on Splendor

GeorgiaPeach51

Good morning!  We are getting ready to fly to Barcelona on Thursday, November 17 to then board the Splendor on the 19th in Barcelona and sail back home to Miami on December 3.  I thought I would do another trip report on what we think of the Splendor and what it is like to do a Transatlantic.  I’m not sure how well the WiFi will hold up in mid-ocean but will give it a try.

This trip is to celebrate my husband’s 70th birthday.  As I type this he is typing away on his computer, working.  I am essentially kidnapping him and removing him from phone contact AND computer so he can actually rest and relax.  You might remember that on our first Regent cruise on the Explorer, he got caught having to work and this time I have put not one, but two feet down and banned computers on this trip, so I am looking forward to time with him.

When I look up from typing, there is our Christmas tree twinkling away.  Yes, I know.  It is weird to have it up before Thanksgiving but since we come back December 3 I don’t want to fall off the ship and walk straight into decorating a 10 foot tree, which is a two day chore at a minimum.  Not to mention that we put up a Christmas village for the delight of our twin grands, who are six.  That takes two days at least.  So, the whole house is decorated and it is rainy and cold here in Georgia, so I’m feeling the HoHoHo spirit.  That will probably diminish when I drag out the suitcases later today and wage war with my propensity to just take one more of this, and what if I need that.  My goal this trip is to wear everything I bring at least once for crying out loud!  I am usually in the Packing Hall of Shame due to overpacking.  I have a friend who travels with only a carry-on, no matter how long she will be gone and I am seriously in awe and wondering if she is another unidentified species.

I will try to post a photo of tree and village to assist you with Christmas spirit even though you are first contemplating how big a turkey to get.  I have to be honest.  Thanksgiving is my least favorite holiday due to all the cooking and effort it takes for a one hour meal and then leftovers that never taste nearly as good as the first time.  Just me.  I’m all about Christmas, so it will be interesting to see if Christmas appears on the ship right after Thanksgiving. 

More to come….

Joanie

9ED09401-92F2-4918-89E0-75B74FE5D6E9.jpeg

3E227C52-0D13-4A7F-B3B4-89C678641171.jpeg

• Like 13

I'm excited for you and excited for us, too. Thanks for taking us along. Your last "live report" was so informative....and entertaining. You have a familiar writing style that is easy -- and fun -- to follow.

BTW...your tree and village look amazing!

• Like 2

Joanie I loved your report from Explorer, so looking forward to seeing the same from Splendor.

There’s a great “Almost Live from Splendor” on the Crystal Boards - I definitely recommend it:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2892555-almost-live-from-regent-seven-seas-splendor-boarding-tomorrow/page/7/#comment-64308348

Love the tree and village - it looks amazing!

We’re on Explorer (Singapore to Sydney) leaving home 8 December and not home until mid January, so our tree and decorations are staying in the box this year.

Have a fabulous time.

L

• Like 1

Your tree is amazing. I’m all about Christmas too. We host every year with about 20 people and I love it. The family is pretty scattered for thanksgiving and we always end up going out to dinner with whoever is around. 
I smiled when I saw you started this thread. I so enjoyed your last trip report. Thanks for taking us along!

• Like 1

@lprp Thanks for the tip!  @bitob Is writing a fabulous trip report about Splendor on the Crystal board.  Crystal refugees are sailing Regent for the first time and from what I have read they are loving the ship, staff, and food.  Strongly suggest going over to the Crystal board to read it.

Joanie

• Like 1

Hi Joanie ("Peach") - I'll be following your posts intently, as we (like "MysticTraveler") will be on next year's Splendor TA (Nov '23) from Barcelona to Miami.  It will be our first cruise on Splendor and our first TA with Regent.  Love your gorgeous decorations, too!  Thanks for "taking us along". Best Regards.

• Like 1

Seriously looking forward to your Splendor reporting as I so enjoyed your last Explorer reports and also because like  Mystictraveler and pingpong1, my husband and I are also on the Splendor next Nov. with this itinerary.  Such a long time to wait so it will be really interesting to "sail along "with you, Georgia Peach!  Betty

• Like 1

Looking forward to your reports. We will be boarding as you get off in Miami. 
Loved your Christmas decorations. I will be decorating the suite this year as we will sailing over the Holiday….. first time since 1995! that I have not decorated the house!!! We were on the old (1st) Royal Princess with the family that year going through the Canal.

Agree with you about Thanksgiving, a lot of for such a short time and the boys are watching football for most of the time!

Have a safe flight over and a fun time on the ship! Looking forward to you report.

• Like 1

Hope we run into you on board. We are also boarding on Sat in Barcelona for our first Regent cruise. We normally travel on Oceania but missed the Canaries last year because of the volcano. Looking forward to trying something different.

• Like 1

Morning!  We are in  cabin 649 if anyone wants to meet for a drink.  Would love to meet anyone and everyone!

I don’t know where yesterday went but nary a suitcase was packed nor even lugged out of the closet.  Every time I passed my closet I walked in and grabbed a few hangers.  The clothes lined up are the biggest hodgepodge of material you’ve ever seen.  Basically, if it fits and is nominally in style it’s there.  What a mess.  

I have checked the Barcelona weather umpteen times and it stubbornly clings to rain on the day we land, and about 60 degrees.  That reminds me that I need to pack an umbrella…..

Joanie

Have a wonderful trip!! Hopefully the Barcelona forecast will get better. As with quite a few others on this thread we will be on the same itinerary in 2023. Looking forward to your excellent live trip report.

Safe travels. Matt

• Like 1