Ship excursions or Find your own

topaz123

FIrst trip to Bonaire.  WE have used ship based excursions before, and also free lancers at the port.  As a general rule, we seem to have better luck finding locals at the port for excursions compared to those offered by the Cruise line.  Some pointers, does, or dont's at Bonaire port would be helpful, especially if you have had an experience with booking locals.

Also curious about this... headed to Bonaire in January, and the ship excursions are leaving a lot to be desired. The one I booked ended up being cancelled by the cruise line. What's typically available at the dock in Bonaire?

• Like 1

On 11/24/2022 at 6:50 PM, OrcaGirl said:

Also curious about this... headed to Bonaire in January, and the ship excursions are leaving a lot to be desired. The one I booked ended up being cancelled by the cruise line. What's typically available at the dock in Bonaire?

Not much.  It’s not like other ports. 
We had booked golf carts but were unfortunately too late to get it. They say they hold it for 2 hours but they have it away before 2. Although  it was close. 
We couldn’t find anything to do. The taxis had all gone. There had been a long line earlier. There was a stand but we waited for a bit and no one came. I gave up and went back to the ship. My husband stumbled across the water taxi to Klein Bonaire so we ended up doing that. 

I would say this is definitely a port you want to have a plan when you get to. 

• Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...

Bonaire is a port on our Christmas cruise on Sky Princess. We have never visited this port before so don't know what to expect. Unfortunately our ship doesn't arrive until noon and we are afraid that any local excursions will be long gone. Where do you catch the water taxi to Klein Bonaire? Is there anything to do or see within walking distance from the ship? 

13 hours ago, 40yearcruiser said:

Bonaire is a port on our Christmas cruise on Sky Princess. We have never visited this port before so don't know what to expect. Unfortunately our ship doesn't arrive until noon and we are afraid that any local excursions will be long gone. Where do you catch the water taxi to Klein Bonaire? Is there anything to do or see within walking distance from the ship? 

When you walk off the boat, you will see to the left (if you are coming off the boat with the boat behind you) the sign for water taxis on the dock down the road.  It runs from Karel's Beach Bar.  
There may be other options, this is just what I saw and used. 

https://caribewatersportbonaire.com/water-taxi/

It is a short walk from the port, although we were on the closer berth.  

There are lots of shops and restaurants within walking distance of the ship.  There is a market right across the road that sells  lots of local hand made goods.  There is a place you can swim right by the port but I'm not sure exactly where that is. 

• Like 2

On 12/4/2022 at 11:52 PM, 40yearcruiser said:

Enchanted also arrived at noon. We got off about 12:30, got a taxi and drove to Sorobon beach. Been there before, and we are in love. We stayed till about 4.

if you want to go snorkeling - you go to Klein Bonaire. Barebones, wild, no amenities, but fantastic snorkeling.

If you want shallow calm water and to just lounge around (or do windsurfing) - you go to Sorobon beach (taxi $5 pp each way, lounger $10, free wifi). It's magical.

20221125_150828.thumb.jpg.79d98bded4a4680005ef7e4a46ed4c40.jpg20221125_151154.thumb.jpg.63b16e9fd3c5ecf52f49c692b137c574.jpg

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/6/2022 at 10:19 AM, Itchy&Scratchy said:

Enchanted also arrived at noon. We got off about 12:30, got a taxi and drove to Sorobon beach. Been there before, and we are in love. We stayed till about 4.

if you want to go snorkeling - you go to Klein Bonaire. Barebones, wild, no amenities, but fantastic snorkeling.

If you want shallow calm water and to just lounge around (or do windsurfing) - you go to Sorobon beach (taxi $5 pp each way, lounger $10, free wifi). It's magical.

I would imagine Sorobon sees a lot of day visitors because it is so close?

28 minutes ago, blue_water said:

I would imagine Sorobon sees a lot of day visitors because it is so close?

it's not so close at all.

But the beach bar area fills up pretty quickly if you need a chaise. If you don't - plenty of space.

When we were there in November, there was also a cruise tour from our own ship there. They arrived much later than we did and left much too soon.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

I will add one tour company not to use as they were somewhat deceptive.  We booked through Shekhinah tours for a North/South tour for our group of 6.  This is what their website shows as well as our invoice. During my chat online and in our emails it was never mentioned that in a van of 7 they would add someone.   It made the van crowded. Upon emailing  the manager on our return she is steadfast that it was never just us.  While the individual was nice the guys were going to rotate seats.  Once he got to the front he wouldn't move.  Just a heads up and IMO book the Golf carts or anything else.   (The golf carts were sold out  5 months in advance)image.thumb.png.246f59d8bd9e96e450770c30e4e4fb92.png

• 2 weeks later...

Private tours always have their risk. But they all know very well about the cruise ship times. We booked Woodwind Sail and Snorkel. It is maybe a 5 minute walk from the ship. From all reviews, it is the best sail and snorkel to Kleine Bonaire. We are at the port for 14-hours. The excursion will chew up about 5-hours of it. We plan to walk back to the ship to shower, have a few drinks, a small bite, then shop around the port area.

• 2 weeks later...

We have been to Bonaire twice.  The first time, a number of years ago, we booked with Woodwind for snorkelling and it was excellent.

Last week, we booked a Twizy tour with Roadrunner-Bonaire.  It was a lot of fun and we got to see the wild flamingoes!  A highlight!

• Like 1