Upgrades for solo?

glentally

I mean it's a value proposition for you to consider. If you're happy with a studio cabin and unwilling to potentially pay x dollars for an upgrade to an Oceanview or balcony then that's fine. If you'd like to upgrade then you are going to pay for the upgrade based on double occupancy. 

You can get some decent deals though. I booked a studio on that Prima sailing coming up and upgraded to a balcony for $250. Assuming the list price doesn't change it saved me about $500 compares to booking a balcony directly. To me that was worth it. To you it might not. 

I also upgraded for $75 ($150 total) from inside to balcony on the Getaway in October.  I'm totally fine with an inside, but for $150 it was worth it.  so decide how much you'd be willing to pay, cut it in half, and put in a bid for that amount (assuming it's at least the minimum).

Check the prices for a direct upgrade - they often reduce the solo supplement closer to sail date. As long as new cabin costs more than what you already paid they will usually let you upgrade. On my last cruise, I paid about $100 to upgrade to a balcony - minimum bid would have cost more than 2x that amount, plus no guarantee.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, glentally said:

I am not willing to pay for a second person that isn't there.

That's the way it works, as others have stated.  Since I'm also a solo, I've bid previously.  I keep it near the minimum; if I think I'd be willing to pay $200 for an upgrade, my bid will be $100.  I haven't been upgraded yet.  Came close on my last sailing; many people got upgraded TO balconies but I was going FROM Balcony to Club Balcony, so missed out.  Given the difference between the rooms, it was worth a small premium but no reason to go crazy.

Self-discipline is important, just as with any auction.  You'll get emails stating your chances are low, increase your bid, etc.  Stick with what you think is fair (and, as a solo, half that.)

Edited by phillygwm
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, glentally said:

I am not willing to pay for a second person that isn't there.

if you ever book a cruise at the regular rate, it is very very common for solo cruises to pay the double rate just like booking for a second person. this is because of double occupancy pricing. this is common for all cruise lines

• Like 1

1 hour ago, shof515 said:

if you ever book a cruise at the regular rate, it is very very common for solo cruises to pay the double rate just like booking for a second person. this is because of double occupancy pricing. this is common for all cruise lines

Given the size of staterooms, if there wasn’t a solo supplement, everyone would consider traveling “solo” so they could have more room to spread out. 

22 hours ago, glentally said:

I recieved an offer for a possible cabin upgrade.  I am a solo traveler and it stated at the end offer is for 2 people. Should I try ?  I am not willing to pay for a second person that isn't there.

@glentally To setup my response, I dearly love the NCL Haven.  If I can afford it, I will book it.  The prices are very high now due to high guest capacity, the final use of FCC and people who have not travel for a long while, traveling again.  In March of 2022, I did my first NCL Solo Cruise because I loved the NCL Joy during my family cruise November 2021. I also was given the Upgrade Bid offers as most guest are given.  I will share my thoughts and hope it with all the other comments help you.

The fact is, if you win a upgrade bid, you pay double.  No way around that if you win a bid.  As other say, bid with that in mind.  If you are dead said against paying for two, don't bid.  Simple answer to a complicated problem.  The best approach is to bid where your over all cost of your fare would be less than if you purchased the Haven for one.  The likelihood that you would win is slim but crazier things have happened.  The second approach is to do what I call "Haven Lite". It give you the feel and most of the enjoyment of being in the Haven, at a much lower cost, and only pay for you. Here is the basic strategy:

1. Vibe Beach Club:  $210.00
  2. Thermal Spa:  $300.00
  3. Free At Sea PLUS upgrade: $300 ish

Now you have four specialty meals, unlimited wifi, the Thermal Spa for bad weather days, the Vibe Beach Club for lovely days, the Premium Plus Beverage package as a splurge.  The added cost is in most cases a fraction of what it would cost to have booked the Haven just for yourself.  This way, if you win the Haven, you do that.  If you don't, you still have a Haven experience. 

Hope that helped.  I did the Haven Lite Approach and it worked out for me.

Cruise well and enjoy every moment.

• Like 2