Removing Guest Close to Cruise

Shae_W

I have a bit of an issue that I'm not really getting any clear answers from RCI when I call them, but my issue is that I am booked to cruise in 20 days, my friend who was joining me has a family emergency and is unable to go, I myself would still like to go, is there any way my friend can be entitled to some sort of refund this close to the cruise? we did purchase travelers insurance.

In the past I remember reading in other forums that you can receive compensation by having your joiner no show at the pier or claim they had flight arrangement issues, or even manipulating their COVID policy, does anyone know of any other tips or tricks to be entitled to some sort of compensation this close to the cruise or are we SOL? 

14 minutes ago, Shae_W said:

I have a bit of an issue that I'm not really getting any clear answers from RCI when I call them, but my issue is that I am booked to cruise in 20 days, my friend who was joining me has a family emergency and is unable to go, I myself would still like to go, is there any way my friend can be entitled to some sort of refund this close to the cruise? we did purchase travelers insurance.

In the past I remember reading in other forums that you can receive compensation by having your joiner no show at the pier or claim they had flight arrangement issues, or even manipulating their COVID policy, does anyone know of any other tips or tricks to be entitled to some sort of compensation this close to the cruise or are we SOL? 

You should check the insurance policy to see if the family emergency is covered.  Depending on the insurance you purchased, some have cancel for any reason coverage that would get your friend a future cruise credit for their portion of the cruise fare.

Another option would be to find someone else to take your friend's place.  That person could pay your friend.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Shae_W said:

If your friend cancelled more than likely you would pay double as the solo supplement. So if you still go better check the current price. .. it could be higher than the rate you booked at x 2.

He cant cancel and get his insurance claim without you getting refared.

17 minutes ago, Shae_W said:

or even manipulating their COVID policy

Welcome to CC.

Typically, when you try to cancel for a positive COVID test to get a refund, the entire cabin is cancelled. Some may have had luck getting a refund for just one person and have the second person still sail.

20 minutes ago, Shae_W said:

Get someone to replace them and pay the other person. 

5 hours ago, Another_Critic said:

Ask the travel insurance company.

If he qualifies for compensation, it may also cover your solo surcharge.

Exactly. 

To the original poster:   If your friend's family emergency is a covered reason for cancelling according to their insurance policy, your policy likely will reimburse you for the single supplement you will be charged if you still cruise.  It all depends on the terms and conditions of each of your trip insurance policies.  It will probably be easier to understand what will happen if you both have the same exact policy.  That's why Royal can't give you an answer.