NCL to *purportedly* limit crew access to public area's on ships. Thoughts?

scooter6139

Just watched Tony from La Lido Loca talk about an anonymous email he received from an NCL crewmember purporting to be from NCL.  It states that only 2-Strip and above will have full access and everyone else will have to use a sign-up sheet for avai8lability based access.

Thoughts and opinions?

I believe that the restrictions were relaxed during covid when passenger occupancy was low and the line was struggling to retain crew, because what they are going to is the way it was forever.  Now, with passenger occupancy up (meaning bars and venues are fuller), the line does not want crew affecting the passenger experience.  So, they are returning to the old requirements. And, the vast majority of crew, have never had access to passenger areas when off-duty.  I remember lists that each department head had, that listed what positions in their departments had privileges in what venues, and how often.  Even back then, with limited access, and even if you had permission from your department head, it was up to the venue manager to determine if crew were allowed in that evening, or not, based on passenger attendance.

• Like 3

Regarding the two or higher stripe rule for crew access to passenger spaces:

Where does the entertainment staff fit-in with the revised/restored rule? 

I do recall pre-covid seeing them in the buffet, walking the Waterfront, etc.  It was fun to chat with them.  Assuming they still have such access.

5 minutes ago, JGmf said:

Regarding the two or higher stripe rule for crew access to passenger spaces:

Where does the entertainment staff fit-in with the revised/restored rule? 

I do recall pre-covid seeing them in the buffet, walking the Waterfront, etc.  It was fun to chat with them.  Assuming they still have such access.

That depends on what entertainers you are talking about.  Feature singers and piano players, for instance, and magicians and comedians are granted "passenger status".  Casts of shows are not.

4 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

That depends on what entertainers you are talking about.  Feature singers and piano players, for instance, and magicians and comedians are granted "passenger status".  Casts of shows are not.

FWIW, last week on Encore, I'm certain a couple members of the "Choir of Man" cast were eating in the buffet.  I'm about 50/50 certain the lead from Kinky Boots was also spotted there.  They were dressed in street clothes but wore name tags.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, roger001 said:

As far as I'm concerned, every crew member can wander the ship as they please.  Wouldn't bother me.  But at the same time, understand capacity concern....maybe.  

I'll give you one example where the crew in the passenger area was a problem.  I don't recall which line it was but certain crew were allowed to use the fitness facilities.  There is limited equipment and these folks doing their workouts meant I had to wait for them to finish for me to do parts of mine.  sure, it could just as well been passengers I had to wait for, but why add even more people to a venue that is so limited to begin with.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, scooter6139 said:

Just watched Tony from La Lido Loca talk about an anonymous email he received from an NCL crewmember purporting to be from NCL.  It states that only 2-Strip and above will have full access and everyone else will have to use a sign-up sheet for avai8lability based access.

Thoughts and opinions?

This was actually the norm just a few years ago, and I guess they are now "back to normal" (and actually similar to most other cruise lines). It is not like those with "only one stripe" are "banned" from passenger areas like speciality restaurants etc.  They just have to apply for it in advance now - I really don't see any problems with that (I worked on a cruiseship "back in the day" myself, where only senior officers were allowed to "mingle" in passenger areas, allthough with some restrictions of course)....

Edited by TrumpyNor

56 minutes ago, PATRLR said:

FWIW, last week on Encore, I'm certain a couple members of the "Choir of Man" cast were eating in the buffet.  I'm about 50/50 certain the lead from Kinky Boots was also spotted there.  They were dressed in street clothes but wore name tags.

Show cast are typically granted status similar to a one-stripe supervisor, so they could have access with their department head permission, though apparently under current rules they would not even need that.  Those who have "passenger status" are not limited in anyway from passenger venues, even crowded ones.

2 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

A friend was in the cast of the show on the Breakaway pre-COVID and had full passenger access, including unlimited use of specialty restaurants (he joined us in them twice)

Edited by grobma

7 hours ago, scooter6139 said:

Thoughts and opinions?

Sounds like a NCL business practice decision. Suspecting several factors affect the rule, many of which unless you are familiar with the business we might not even think to consider. Why should we have an opinion? To what end does it serve?

In addition to limiting access as passenger occupancy goes up, it may be that NCL is seeing a rise in problems with alcohol consumption by crew.  The statutory limit for any crew member at any time while on the ship, on or off duty, is 0.05%, well below most states' DUI limit.  Crew are subject to random testing at any time, and when the limit is suspected of being exceeded (i.e. from surveillance cameras, or from the crew member's onboard charging of drinks.